Disabling wifi on XB6 modem not turning off the radio

ChristianL
Grasshopper

So today I check the wifi signals around my house and discover that Shaw has enabled the mobile hotspot feature. In order to disable it I need to disable Bridge Mode on the modem, visit my.shaw.ca and disable it from the Services Internet service page.

I go ahead and do that, then switch it back to bridge mode. The problem is that the radio is still on, but not broadcasting the BSSID anymore. I use my own UniFi access point and OpnSense router, and with it enabled it uses the same wifi channels. I've since changed my own AP's channels, but yet the modem is still broadcasting when it should be off. I'm using the Technicolor XB6 variant. Any ideas? 

I disabled bridge mode, then disabled the 2.4 and 5Ghz wifi, but they are still broadcasting without an BSSID. One would think that the radios would turn off and not pollute the wifi channel.

Labels (1)
5 Replies

-- somebody on this discussion forum posted that if you g...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ChristianL -- somebody on this discussion forum posted that if you get Shaw to "bridge" the modem, rather than doing it yourself, the results will be different. I don't know if I can trust anything that I have read on the Internet.

0 Kudos

DId you resolve this issue? Shaw recently restricted/crip...

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

DId you resolve this issue? Shaw recently restricted/crippled access to many of the XB6 features including changing Wi-Fi channels. I don't see any option to disable IPv6 which is now an issue with failing captchas on virtually all websites. Disabling iPv6 at the source (browser or adapter settings) solves this problem. 

0 Kudos

I'm pretty sure that there is absolutely no difference.

jrbynum
Grasshopper

I'm pretty sure that there is absolutely no difference.

0 Kudos

Logon to the My Shaw Portal, and choose "Internet", to se...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Logon to the My Shaw Portal, and choose "Internet", to see:

Capture.JPG

QED

0 Kudos

Based on what source? Ive tested it out rigorously with L...

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

@jrbynum  Based on what source? I've tested it out rigorously with Level 2 tech support. They confirm this issue. The solution at this time is to disable IPV6 on the device. Like @mdk wrote, " can't trust anything on the internet". 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help