external WiFi Router?

Roderick
Grasshopper

A question of WiFi performance.

We just upgraded to Blue Curve 300+Fibre internet and awaiting the arrival of the modem.

Currently our old modem is bridged and we're using Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk router and extender.

My question:

Will the performance from the Shaw modem be decent? Or should I just bridge the new modem and continue with the Netgear stuff?

Note, the parental controls and such are of no interest and wouldn't be used anyway

TIA 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Still use your stuff. Might possibly put your router into...

dragonstone634
Grasshopper

Still use your stuff. Might possibly put your router into AP mode and use both. Shaw unit at one end of the house and yours at the the other.

$200 3rd party routers will always out preform the free basic wifi any isp provides.

0 Kudos

Delete - Shaw please add a delete feature in the message editor

rickatk
Master

Delete this message
0 Kudos

Over the years I have used the Shaw supplied network and...

rickatk
Master

A question of WiFi performance.

We just upgraded to Blue Curve 300+Fibre internet and awaiting the arrival of the modem.

Currently our old modem is bridged and we're using Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk router and extender.

My question:

Will the performance from the Shaw modem be decent? Or should I just bridge the new modem and continue with the Netgear stuff?

Note, the parental controls and such are of no interest and wouldn't be used anyway

Over the years I have used the Shaw supplied network and tv gear and my own gear. Lately I am using the Shaw Gateway routers and wireless tv players choosing to rent rather than own. I have a shelf full of old cable tuners and discontinued Apple routers. I compared the latest Shaw Xi6 Gateway and my older obsolete AirPort Extreme router and concluded the performance was the same. The Airport Extreme doesn’t offer MESH so now the Apple router now serves as a backup drive. 

I have found the BlueCurve Gateway and pods make a very good mesh network providing coverage for my 3000sq ft rancher. All my devices are wireless, including TV boxes, lights, irrigation and computers. My network is managed using the BlueCurve home app. 

I don't mind renting the gear as I have continuous support and future proofing. For example Comcast is now offering a new wifi 6(ax) gateway. This will more than likely be offered by Shaw in time, good news for Fibre +Gig subscribers like me.

All in all I am very happy with my renting v owning choices these days.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help