Jump to solution

This seems to be a common occurrence. A customer upgrades...

rickatk
Master

This seems to be a common occurrence. A customer upgrades their service, does the self serve modem/router installation (or a tech does it) but the service is not fully activated. The only solution, call in and ask for another activation to the higher internet service.

Jump to solution

I have done ALL of the suggested items including having m...

GonBen
Grasshopper

I have done ALL of the suggested items including having my modem replaced a couple of weeks ago.  On the best day I get download speeds of less than 250 mbps. Moreover IT IS NOT MY COMPUTER. It has significantly higher clock speeds than 2.0 Ghz. I just upgraded from Shaw 300 to Shaw 600 and the speed went up imperceptibly. It went from around 140 to about 240. In both cases less than half of I pay for. 

I am tired of being lied to by Shaw and its technicians. It is Shaw's network that does not deliver, not on my end. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- the speed went up imperceptibly. It went from around 1...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@GonBen -- the speed went up imperceptibly. It went from around 140 to about 240. 

I would gladly accept an "imperceptible" pay-raise from $140 to about $240.   🙂

Before launching the Shaw SpeedTest, start the Windows "Task Manager", and switch to the "Performance" tab, and click the "Ethernet" icon. Minimize it. Start the SpeedTest, and restore the Task Manager window, to watch the real-time graph of Processor Usage. Does it ever approach 100% (or 25% per processor for every CPU in a "quad-core" processor) ? Also, watch the real-time graph of the network usage.

You changed the modem. Did you change the coaxial-cable connected to the modem? Did you change the Ethernet cable between your computer and the modem? Any change?

Jump to solution

Same... was consistently getting over 600 on all speedtes...

thund3rbolt
Grasshopper

Same... was consistently getting over 600 on all speedtests and now lucky to get 250. Not sure how long it's been doing that but just happened to randomly test last night as I wanted to compare it to what's advertised for the new shaw fiber available and see if it was worthwhile the extra money. I called tech support and they confirmed my plan was 600 and claim no issue on their end with the speed. They even pushed a 600 plan again as per my request which made no difference. I've tried just connecting a high end laptop with nothing else on the network and speeds under 300. I have changed no hardware or added any devices. They also claim there were no issues going to the loop so I too am stumped but if I don't get the 600 as advertised I might as well drop it back to the 150 plan and save my money. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- do you have any friends with "Shaw 300" (uses the same...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@thund3rbolt -- do you have any friends with "Shaw 300" (uses the same cables as "Fibre+ 300") or "Shaw 600" of "Fibre+ Gig", who will let you connect your laptop to their cable-modem, via an Ethernet cable (not via WiFi), and rerun the Shaw SpeedTest? What speeds do you get? Use a "CAT 5e" or a "CAT 6" cable -- not a "CAT 5" cable, which is limited to 100 Mbps.

P.S. Do you have your own router between the Shaw cable-modem/router and your computer? If so, can you bypass it, temporarily?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

called shaw yesterday and upgraded my plan from 600 to fi...

thund3rbolt
Grasshopper

called shaw yesterday and upgraded my plan from 600 to fibre+gig in the hopes it would help.... it did not. The upload speed improved to around 25-26 Mbps from the previous 20 on shaw 600 but the download speed didn't change from around 200-250 on various speed tests sites. I called tech support again and he went through all the tests which included things on his end and mine such as, taking the modem out of bridge, changing to a different 5e cable, wired directly to laptop with nothing else connected, reprovisioning and resetting the modem a few times... and nothing improved. The tech claimed that everything looks fine on the modem and the signals so he was stumped as well. What's really weird is nothing as far as hardware was changed and I previously was getting excellent speeds 600-640 Mbps. 

Frankly, I'm at a dead end as to what to try next and although I live in a bare land strata I guess I could ask someone who has shaw to let me test with my laptop but... it feels a little weird asking since they're just neighbors. 
0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I am facing the same problem. I just upgraded my plan to...

benyee123
Grasshopper

I am facing the same problem.

I just upgraded my plan to Fibre +Gig, speed only up to 6xxMB (from my Eero router speed test). I am on bridged mode and even tried to switch that back to non-bridge mode, the same speed.

I am still in the grace period and if the speed stays the same. I am going to cancel the contract. Very disappointed.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

are you noticing this issue on just one device or multipl...

shaw-tony

@thund3rbolt are you noticing this issue on just one device or multiple different ones? It may possibly be a network card limitation, I'd recommend making sure it's on full-duplex and updated with the most recent firmware.

@benyee123 your modem is provisioned for Fibre+ Gig, when you swapped it out of bridge mode and removed your router connection did you hard reboot the modem for the chipset to refresh it's connection?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Same boat here. I have had the 600 plan for quite a while...

guitarcoey2
Grasshopper

Same boat here. I have had the 600 plan for quite a while and was very happy with the average throughput of 580-620mbps. Then I "upgraded" to the fibre+gig plan (about 2 weeks now) and the best I get is 699mbps, with a daily average of *slightly lower* than I was getting on the less expensive 600 plan. Shaw has changed out the modem and checked signal strength, etc. to no effect. Shaw always tries to blame my equipment, etc. and says that speed tests are inaccurate.  However, what they seem to fail to acknowledge is that I already had a "baseline" of 580-620mbps on "my end" and the same equipment/tests are reporting an increase of less than 10% on a "good" day. Some people I know that are in different areas of town are getting much better throughput. 

Therefor, the only valid hypothesis at this time is that Shaw was not really ready *on their entire network" to offer 1Gbps plans, although they will be happy to bill you for it. In fairness, Telus does this too: a year or so ago their sales department was perfectly willing to sell me a package that their own techs said wasn't possible given my location....AND lock me in for a contract!

I think Shaw is caught up in a speed-race with Telus and are rolling these higher-speed packages out before they are fully-baked.

The 600 plan (or maybe the 750) seems to be their sweet-spot for their current infrastructure. No point in paying any more unless you are in one of the lucky areas that can actually supply more.  

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- try the following: open the Windows "Task Manager" ap...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@guitarcoey2 -- try the following:

1. open the Windows "Task Manager" app.
  2. switch to its "Performance" tab.
  3. select the "Ethernet" icon.
  4. minimize the window.
  5. launch the Shaw SpeedTest, and immediately "restore" the Task Manager window.
  6. watch the instantaneous network speed, to see if it reaches up to 930 Mbps.
  7. tell us what Task Manager shows.

The graph produced by the SpeedTest "averages" several data-points, e.g., "zero" when you start, and receiving 200 Mbps one second later will show a 100 Mbps value. One second, and 200 Mbits later, the graph will show 400/3 --> 133 Mbps.

Note: 1 thousand million bits, when repeatedly divided by 2, is "930 Mbits".  It is the same "math" as buying a "1TB" disk-drive, which Windows reports as "930 MB" -- "base-10" notation versus "base-2" notation.

> The 600 plan (or maybe the 750) seems to be their sweet-spot 

You will need to find a server on the Internet that can continuously "push" data at 600+ speeds. Compare to a few automobiles driving side-by-side, at the same speed, with a locomotive pulling 100 cars full of coal, heading to Roberts Bank. Same speed, but the gap between automobiles means a smaller payload.

Or, you will need to have 6 computers on your local network, each receiving a full stream at 100 Mbps, before your 600 Mbps connection will be "saturated".

How often will your link get "saturated" ?  In my opinion, almost never.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help