Is it possible to upgrade to the XB7 modem from the XB6?

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

Asking because the XB6 I have is getting a bit long in the tooth, and I am noticing a lot of slowdown with its WiFi signal, and I'm looking to maybe update my equipment (it's the only piece of equipment I have that hasn't been updated over the last 6 years).  

I have Fibre+ 750 internet.

I'm also asking because when I asked over the online chat, the person on the other end said that I couldn't because it required Fibre+ Gig, which seemed not correct (I also half recall having the choice to update the modem when I signed up for Fibre+ 750).  

If not then I will have to inquire about replacing the XB6 with a new one if I can't figure out my current one's potential issues.  

15 Replies

As I understand it you need to be a Fibre+ Gig or Fibre+...

Spatch
Grasshopper

@ziggurcat 

As I understand it you need to be a Fibre+ Gig or Fibre+ 1.5 Gig customer to be eligible to upgrade to the XB7.  When they first rolled it out in BC (where I live) only the Fibre+ 1.5 Gig package qualified you for the upgrade (prompting me to upgrade lol) but they subsequently expanded that eligibility to Fibre+ Gig customers at some point.   
That said, the price difference between the 750 and Gig packages isn’t much.  Perhaps worth the small price increase for the better modem?  Maybe contact Shaw to see what kind of pricing they can give you for Fibre+ Gig.

72CD01F4-6DC0-4429-A355-D889A630FACC.jpeg

0 Kudos

-- the person on the other end said that I couldn't becau...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ziggurcat -- the person on the other end said that I couldn't because it required Fibre+ Gig, which seemed not correct

Things change, over time. Recently, my nephew (on Telus Optik) received a flyer from Shaw, promoting 500 Mbps and the XB7 cable-modem, at a discount only for "new" customers. 500, not 750, not 1000, not 1500. XB7, not XB6.

(I also half recall having the choice to update the modem when I signed up for Fibre+ 750).  

If that was in the contract, you can ask Shaw to completely fulfill that contract. Cross your fingers. 🙂

Do you need 3 or 4 Ethernet ports? Tell Shaw that you need more than the 2 ports on the XB6. Cross your toes.  🙂

You've mentioned "Shaw is throttling my in-home WiFi" in another thread in this forum.

0 Kudos

---

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

---  

0 Kudos

I honestly cannot remember whether the Xb7 was being offe...

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

I honestly cannot remember whether the Xb7 was being offered, I mostly just recall saying no to updating my equipment when I signed up for Fibre 750+ since it didn't seem necessary at the time.  I did replace the Xi4 cable box with the Xi6 right around the beginning of the year, though.  

Ideally I'd like 4 Ethernet ports.  I use one for my PS5 and the other for the Xi6 cable box, but have two other consoles or my AVR that could benefit from a wired connection.

Yes, I did mention that, but I may have pinpointed the culprit, and it's all the more reason to get a newer modem.   

0 Kudos

Thanks for that - I wasn't sure if that was true or wheth...

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

Thanks for that - I wasn't sure if that was true or whether the person on the other end of the chat was just trying to up sell me.  Seeing as it's just $5 more that's sort of making me think about whether I should just bump it up to the Gig plan.   I'm just over 1 year into my current 2-year contract, so I don't know what that would entail, though I could just ask.  

0 Kudos

--   I'm just over 1 year into my current 2-year contract...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ziggurcat --   I'm just over 1 year into my current 2-year contract, so I don't know what that would entail, though I could just ask.  

Would Shaw turn down an opportunity to keep you under contract for 12 months beyond the end of your current contract, and get a few dollars more per month from you, for the next 12+ months?  I doubt it.

Ask them to upgrade the modem, but keep charging you the current monthly price for Shaw Internet, for the remaining months in your current contract.  They can say "yes", or they can say "no", without penalizing you.

0 Kudos

I just helped my parents upgrade to Fibre+ Gig from the g...

Spatch
Grasshopper

@ziggurcat 

I just helped my parents upgrade to Fibre+ Gig from the grandfathered Internet 600 plan and they were only partially through their two year contract.  No issues.  Shaw, in my experience, is pretty accommodating with customers looking to upgrade/increase services with them.

I think my main concern is just accidentally getting doub...

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

I think my main concern is just accidentally getting double-billed, which has happened before.  I did upgrade to the 750 plan before my 600 plan expired, but that was about a month out from that expiring, so nothing really was affected at that time.

I have no doubts that Shaw wouldn't be accommodating to anyone looking to give them more money 😎  

0 Kudos

Would I need to go into a live chat with Shaw or just add...

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

@Spatch 

Would I need to go into a live chat with Shaw or just add the Fibre+ Gig to my cart and order? 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help