-- The laptop that I neglected to identify as trusted con...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rmikeyt -- The laptop that I neglected to identify as trusted continued to connect unhindered. 

Did you disconnect the BlueCurve cable-modem from electrical power, wait a few seconds, and then reconnect the power? That should sever all previous connections, and restart with the new rules.

0 Kudos

Yes, I reset the password and removed power from the rout...

rmikeyt
Grasshopper

Yes, I reset the password and removed power from the router. My “unknown” laptop is still able to connect.

I may have to try your previous suggestion to have a separate router just for him. Maybe a third party router will have a better MAC filtering interface? 

Does anyone have any suggestions for make/model?

0 Kudos

-- I may have to try your previous suggestion to have a s...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rmikeyt -- I may have to try your previous suggestion to have a separate router just for him

That should work. Your Shaw router will assign an IP-address to the WAN port on the third-party router, and that IP-address will (almost) never change. When your son changes his MAC-address, the third-party router will give his computer a different IP-address, but the IP-address assigned to the WAN port on the third-party router will not change, due to his actions.

So: Shaw router -> 10.0.0.xxx -> third-party router -> 192.168.0.yyy -> his computer

where he can change "yyy" up to 253 different times.

You can "manage" that "10.0.0.xxx" IP-address.

0 Kudos

So, I’ve connected a second (DLink) router to the Blue cu...

rmikeyt
Grasshopper

So, I’ve connected a second (DLink) router to the Blue curve and all my control issues are rectified. However the throughput is really poor. The router is rated for 300 MBS DL but I’m only seeing 90 at best where I’m seeing 400+ through the BC wifi. Are there any documents outlining proper setup for this configuration?

0 Kudos

-- The router is rated for 300 MBS DL but I’m only seeing...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rmikeyt -- The router is rated for 300 MBS DL but I’m only seeing 90 at best 

First, take a close look at the printing along the Ethernet cable between the BlueCurve and your computer. If you see "CAT 5", this cable is limited to a maximum of 100 Mbps. Replace it with a "CAT 5e" cable, with its maximum of 1000 Mbps.

Second, check the Ethernet cable between the BlueCurve and the D-Link, and replace any "CAT 5" cable with a "CAT 5e" (or "CAT 6") cable, if you want to give "faster-than-100" download speed to the child's computer.

I presume that the D-Link router supports 10/100/1000 on its "uplink" port, not just 10/100 speeds.

0 Kudos

it was definitely NOT a 1Gb router... I swapped for one t...

rmikeyt
Grasshopper

it was definitely NOT a 1Gb router... I swapped for one that is but am still getting sporadic speeds... Shaw is telling me that I can't have two wifi networks under one roof...? Basically they are saying that there is nothing I can do. 

They just told me that I have to talk with Technicolor directly

"No one at Shaw can assist you at this time we did not build the modem or crate the software. I hope you are able to find an answer you are looking for. Thanks for choosing Shaw and have a great day!"

0 Kudos

-- Shaw is telling me that I can't have two wifi networks...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rmikeyt -- Shaw is telling me that I can't have two wifi networks under one roof...?

Utter nonsense. Think of people living in an apartment block, or a condo, where every resident has their own WiFi network. The networks greatly overlap (side by side, up and down). 

> They just told me that I have to talk with Technicolor directly

Sigh. What a "brush-off" that Agent gave you.

> it was definitely NOT a 1Gb router... 

Well, if you connect your devices to the Shaw router's WiFi, you'll get the speed you are paying for, subject to the limitations of the WiFi network adapters inside your devices. If you don't give the WiFi password for the Shaw router to your child, he can only connect to the WiFi network provided by the D-Link router.

Besides, does your child deserve more than 100 Mbps service, as provided by the "older-generation" D-Link router?

0 Kudos

-- is your child the only one on the upper floor who need...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rmikeyt -- is your child the only one on the upper floor who needs/wants Internet access?

If so, move the third-party router to locate it beside the BlueCurve, and run an Ethernet cable from a LAN port on the third-party router into the computer in the child's room. He will get whatever speed that the third-party router will provide, and you can "manage" the (unchanging) IP-address assigned to the WAN port on that third-party router.

Or, just unplug the AC power to the BlueCurve every night. If necessary, put the power-cord under your pillow. If the child has a power-cord, and it is still connected in the morning, use those gardening clippers on it, and reconnect your power-cord.

0 Kudos

So that's exactly what I spent the day doing... I had got...

rmikeyt
Grasshopper

So that's exactly what I spent the day doing... I had gotten the ASUS router to the point where it will pass >400MBPS via ethernet so I figured this was the best solution. I even designed a lovely wooden housing that will physically secure the devices to my satisfaction. However, once it was all run, I discovered that the ethernet port on his brand new monster PC doesn't work! FML!!! 

I'm very close to being done with the whole thing! LOL! Think I'll grab a beer (or three) and NOT think about it anymore today... 

also - I tried the AC Wireless mode you suggested to no avail. 

So, here's the highlights;

• ASUS uPnP disabled
  • ASUS DHCP disabled
  • ASUS Static ip set to 10.0.1.1
  • LAN from BC connected to WAN port ASUS
  • Wireless mode of ASUS set to AC/mixed
  • Unable to change the wireless channel on the BC but ASUS is set to furthest channel. 
  • Ethernet speeds on ASUS are awesome (>450MBPS) Wifi not so much (<100MBPS).
  • At a standstill in regards to his ethernet functionality. 

0 Kudos

Hi again  , omg!  You poor dude, I don't know whether to...

g-idk
Master

Hi again @rmikeyt , omg!  You poor dude, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.  Your kid is making you work for this.  If you were in my neighbor hood I would rip out a network card for you from my other computer right pronto so you could install it and get some peace of mind.  Is there any chance he just has the network card disabled, I believe you said it was a new computer so it should be working.  Anyways god I hope this gets results for you.  Wishing you peace.  

TALK TO US
We're here to help