Shaw Blue Curve - Rockstar Games Servers

Mstats
Grasshopper

Its the weirdest thing, we upgrade to the blue curve modem and now we can't play GTA5 online. Also, I can't login to the Rockstar Games account, it's just blank. When I turn the wifi off and use the internet on my phone it works. We have confirmed this same issue on a couple devices. I have tried the port forwarding and no luck. There are no websites banned. Any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

I would try a factory reset of the modem. https://support...

rstra
Grand Master
0 Kudos

-- this could be an Internet "routing" issue. Your Shaw c...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Mstats -- this could be an Internet "routing" issue. Your Shaw cable-modem connects to Shaw's network (inside Canada) and then into the USA, onto some USA-based networks, to the Rockstar game-servers. Your phone, using "data", connects to a different network (Bell? Rogers? Telus?) and takes a different international route to (possibly) the same Rockstar game-servers. I write "possibly" because some game-servers have nodes in Western USA and also in Eastern USA.  So, if your location & routing seems to come from Western Canada, you might get connected to the "west" server. Compare to connecting to Bell, which may route through Toronto or Montreal into the "east" server in the USA.

So, on your PC, use the Windows command-line utility TRACERT to show the path from your cable-modem to the Rockstar game-servers. Post that output here.

0 Kudos

-- did that online gaming-server require you do any "port...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Mstats -- did that online gaming-server require you do any "port-forwarding" on your previous cable-modem? 

Any forwarding would have been to an IP-address like "192.168.xxx.yyy".

Your BlueCurve cable-modem uses IP-addresses like "10.0.aaa.bbb" -- a distinctly different range.

So, any "port-forwarding" would need to be redefined.

Thanks for all your replies  . The previous cable modem h...

Mstats
Grasshopper

Thanks for all your replies @mdk .

The previous cable modem had no port forwarding.

I have not had a chance to try the TRACERT , but I did ping the website and got no response, which I found very weird. 

I will keep you updated with the results of the TRACERT. 

P.S. I have contacted Rockstar support and waiting for answer. 

0 Kudos

-- there is no "rule" that web-sites must respond to PING...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Mstats -- there is no "rule" that web-sites must respond to PING packets.

Many web-sites, to avoid a DOS ("Denial Of Service") attack, deliberately do NOT respond.

But, the output from TRACERT usually is helpful, when looking for an "outage".

A few months ago, Shaw's primary path between Calgary & Edmonton went "down" -- the output from TRACERT helped users in northern Alberta & Saskatchewan to realize that the "alternate" route (via Winnipeg) was active, and was heavily-loaded.

Hi , I ran TRACERT and these are some of the results: **I...

Mstats
Grasshopper

Hi @mdk,

I ran TRACERT and these are some of the results:

**I do not know how to decipher them. Thanks for your time

TRACERT ROCKSTAR.png

0 Kudos

-- the first trace reveals that you are somewhat close to...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Mstats -- the first trace reveals that you are somewhat close to Calgary ("CG") and that Shaw interconnected to a router in the USA (Illinois), and then through the ZAYO network. Some routers did not respond to the packets.

That #11 trace is an IP-address that seems to be near to the Newark (New Jersey) airport.

The second trace reveals that Shaw routed your packets to their router in/near Washington State -- probably in Vancouver, and connected to their game-server located in the Seattle area.

Both "paths" are quite quick -- 40 to 60 milliseconds to each target and back.  At least, they were quick at the date/time that you did your testing.

please forgive my ignorance, but I still can't connect to...

Mstats
Grasshopper

@mdk please forgive my ignorance, but I still can't connect to the servers via XBOX/Website. Are we thinking the issue is not with SHAW, but maybe with Rockstar?

0 Kudos

-- for the trace to "socialclub", I cannot tell if the pa...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Mstats -- for the trace to "socialclub", I cannot tell if the packets do not reach that web-site, or if those routers, and the target web-site, are receiving your traffic.

For the trace to "rgames", your traffic definitely was reaching that game-server in the Seattle area.

In both traces, Shaw transmitted your traffic into the USA.  So, you cannot blame Shaw.

0 Kudos