Shaw BlueCurve Gateway Woes (drops, disconnects, reboots)

Merlryn
Grasshopper

Recently changed from the old Hitron modem to the new Bluecurve model, I kept my same package as before (Shaw 300) and it was a self install. All I did was reconnect the new bluecurve modem in the same place.

I ran the Hitron in Bridge mode and after getting the BlueCurve setup, I switched it over to Bridge mode as well. I run my own router and wifi as I've had nothing but problems when these services are turned on via the integrated device.

I work from home and am constantly connected throughout the day, my bandwidth usage isn't high I just need the consistent connection. My experience with the Hitron in Bridge mode was fantastic! No problems in the past 2+ years. My main desktop computer is using ethernet wired into the network so it's not a wifi interference. 

I've had this bluecurve modem for about 3 weeks now... I'm constantly getting drops in my connection throughout the day. Probably about once a week I'm having to restart this bluecurve modem as it won't even come back online. That's not even counting slow downs in the connection; hung webpages that take longer to load, pages or services not responding, etc. I don't lose connection to my router (aka .1), but I constantly lose connection to the Bluecurve gateway modem (10.0.0.1).

This was my results when I get up in the morning:
2020-07-24 Shaw Modem.png

I didn't lose my internet but the modem was too busy to respond to pings??

Again, literally the only thing that has changed in my setup is the modem (in bridge mode). Quite disappointed.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

-- try changing the Ethernet cable between your router an...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Merlryn -- try changing the Ethernet cable between your router and Shaw's device. Be sure to use a "CAT-5e" or "CAT-6" cable.

P.S. Cloud Flair? Rick Flair? Cloudflare?   🙂

0 Kudos

I've changed the Network cable last week to a Cat 6 patch...

Merlryn
Grasshopper

I've changed the Network cable last week to a Cat 6 patch cable. Same issue persists.

0 Kudos

-- same issue persists Try this: connect the power-cords...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Merlryn -- same issue persists

Try this:

• connect the power-cords from your router and the cable-modem to the same power-bar, so that there will not be any "grounding" issues,
  • disconnect the coaxial-cable from the Shaw router, to eliminate all traffic to/from the Internet,
  • rerun the 2nd graph (above), when your "test" is the only traffic being handled by the cable-modem.

If packets still are being dropped, contact Shaw, and get them to replace the BlueCurve.

Also, connect another computer, via an Ethernet cable, to the cable-modem, e.g., "10.0.0.2". Then, run another test from your first computer, through the cable-modem, to the second computer, and back through the cable-modem, to your first computer. This will show whether the cable-modem can "route" traffic in-and-out, without dropping any packets.

0 Kudos

I've been experiencing intermittent outages since the ori...

Merlryn
Grasshopper

I've been experiencing intermittent outages since the original post, generally only about once a week. Sometimes they would cluster together but then I'd go 2 weeks without an issue. The main issue is that the internet would go out for 2-8 minutes and the odd time I would have to reset the Shaw modem to get it back online. Contacting support, they couldn't see anything wrong and to call when it was happening. 

This past week it kicked into high gear, multiple outages one after an other. A hard reset of the modem seemed to make it behave for my work day but then in the evening I'd get kicked off. Again, "no issues detected on your line or with your equipment". 

This Saturday it got really bad. Support had be factory reset the router (again), but this time I couldn't get the Bluecurve app to work to setup the device, I ended up using a laptop and connecting to the modem directly to finish the setup. They called it good and said to call back if there was an issue. 

30 mins later it dropped again, started the contact support again. THIS TIME was different however. I was still down but the support guy could not see the router (finally). So he shipped me a new bluecurve modem.

It's been about 24 hours so time will tell but the response time from my modem has dropped from almost 2ms to under 1ms. So it looks like this hardware is working much better.

Screenshot 2020-11-10 080745.png

Just wanted to close out this thread.

How do you get graphing such as this?

dankowtw
Grasshopper

How do you get graphing such as this?

0 Kudos

It's grayed out on the top right, but the graphing softwa...

bacongobbler
Grasshopper

It's grayed out on the top right, but the graphing software used here is RRDTool.

https://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/

A here's a blog demonstrating a similar graph: https://www.void.gr/kargig/blog/2007/03/21/round-trip-and-packet-loss-stats-with-rrdtool/

0 Kudos