-- Using speed tests of a variety of flavours I consisten...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk -- Using speed tests of a variety of flavours I consistently got reports of 640Mbps on my fastest device over wifi. 

That speed is probably the limitation of the WiFi network adapter inside your computer.

I think that if you use a CAT-5e or CAT-6 Ethernet cable between your computer and your BlueCurve that you will get 930 MBps when running the Shaw SpeedTest.

It is "930" not "1000", because the speed is measured in "megabits" (multiples of 1024) not "million-bits" (multiples of 1000).

Note: 930*1024*1024*1024 is 998,579,896,320 -- almost 1000 billion (1 trillion).

You'll see the same "shrinkage" if you purchase a 1 TB disk-drive, and Windows "formats" it, and then Windows reports 930 MB.

0 Kudos

I have no doubt if I lugged my i7 iMac to the router and...

rickatk
Master

@mdk wrote:

@rickatk -- Using speed tests of a variety of flavours I consistently got reports of 640Mbps on my fastest device over wifi. 

That speed is probably the limitation of the WiFi network adapter inside your computer.

I think that if you use a CAT-5e or CAT-6 Ethernet cable between your computer and your BlueCurve that you will get 930 MBps when running the Shaw SpeedTest.

It is "930" not "1000", because the speed is measured in "megabits" (multiples of 1024) not "million-bits" (multiples of 1000).

Note: 930*1024*1024*1024 is 998,579,896,320 -- almost 1000 billion (1 trillion).

You'll see the same "shrinkage" if you purchase a 1 TB disk-drive, and Windows "formats" it, and then Windows reports 930 MB.

@mdk 

I have no doubt if I lugged my i7 iMac to the router and connected directly to the Gateway I would get optimal download speeds. So I am comfortable that my system is working fine. Thanks for the info reported speeds etc. I am looking forward to the new XB7 Gateway. I expect I will see better speeds. I am concerned however, my iMac is aging and still may not be able to reproduce gigabit speeds over wifi.  

-- connected directly to the Gateway I would get optimal...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk -- connected directly to the Gateway I would get optimal download speeds.

In "real" usage, not just "speed-tests", your download speed is limited by the speed at which the remote server can "push" data out to the Internet. If a server has a Gigabit network adapter, that is the limit of its output.  If the server is simultaneously serving multiple clients, that 1 Gigabit link would be split into two 500 Mbps streams, or four 250 Mbps streams.

> ... new XB7 Gateway. I expect I will see better speeds.

From a web-site:

WiFi is always promoted using 'theoretical' speeds.

By this standard, 802.11ac is capable of 1300 megabits per second (Mbps) ...

This is 3x faster than the typical 450Mbps speed attributed to 802.11n.

So, hopefully, your iMac's wireless network adapter supports that "AC" protocol. Hopefully, the XB7 will support the "AC" protocol.

Also, are you are willing to pay "more" to Shaw to get "faster-than-1-Gigabit" service?

I am satisfied with my "Internet 300" service. The only time that I actually saw a steady 300+ Mbps, it was because Windows Update was downloading a "major" update, namely from "Windows 10 (1909)" to "Windows 10 (2004)".

I suspect that many servers have a 10/100 Mbps connection to the Internet, not a 1000 Mbps connection. Companies running "web-server farms" realize that it costs them money to offer 1000 Mbps service to co-located servers.

0 Kudos

>Also, are you are willing to pay "more" to Shaw to get "...

rickatk
Master

>Also, are you are willing to pay "more" to Shaw to get "faster-than-1-Gigabit" service?

I feel I am making the right choice with Fibre +Gig from a bandwith multi user and multi device perspective. I have a number of wifi devices including 4 tv players. The Fibre +Gig service seems to be powering my devices quite nicely. Everything is very stable.

Same with your problem! Don't use Shaw or Rogers's servic...

KhoiLeon
Grasshopper

Same with your problem! Don't use Shaw or Rogers's service. Waste my money. Trash

0 Kudos

-- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum, where v...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@KhoiLeon -- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum, where volunteers try to help.

Now that you have vented, please describe which ISP that you have: Shaw? Rogers? Telus? one of the "resellers" that purchase access from Shaw/Rogers/Telus/Bell ?

Which cable-modem do you have: Hitron? (noisy) XB6? XB7? XB8?

What download speed are you paying for: 300 Mbps? 500? 600? 700? 1000? 1500 ?

What download speed is reported by the Shaw Speed Test when you are using a "CAT-5e" (or "CAT-6") Ethernet cable between your cable-modem and your computer?  If you have a "CAT 5" cable, it is limited to 100 Mbps -- replace it!

What is the speed of each core on your computer? 2 Ghz? 2.5? 3.0? 3.2 ?  The Speed Test cannot run at full speed on a 2 Ghz processor.

Do you have an always-Internet-connected teenager that is into "online gaming", consuming much of your bandwidth?

Details, please.

0 Kudos

Teach me how please!

Jess777
Grasshopper

Teach me how please!

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help