@Zoom doesn’t require a lot of bandwidth, so I would take...

rstra
Grand Master

@ziggurcat @Zoom doesn’t require a lot of bandwidth, so I would take a closer look at your internet connection. 

• 2.0 Mbps up and down for single screen.
  • 2.0 Mbps up 4.0 Mbps down for dual screen.
  • 2.0 Mbps up 6.0 Mbps down for triple screen.

Maybe pickup an AC usb wifi adapter, see if that helps.  

0 Kudos

--  It's a 2012 laptop, so it's wireless N ...  it really...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ziggurcat --  It's a 2012 laptop, so it's wireless N ...  it really only hits around the 300-ish Mbps DL when testing wired

The Shaw Speed Test web-site requires a computer with at least a 2.5 Ghz CPU, in order to run the test at "full-speed". A slower computer will report lower values.

1. Open the Windows Task Manager, and switch to the "Performance" tab, and minimize the window.

2. Launch the Shaw Speed Test.

3. Immediately "restore" the Task Manager window. Is your CPU showing 100% ? Is your "Ethernet" connection showing a steady speed, or is it non-linear?

0 Kudos

It's a mid-2012 Macbook Pro with a 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Inte...

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

It's a mid-2012 Macbook Pro with a 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 CPU 

It is getting a little old, and has gotten a lot of use over the years.  I made some changes to the laptop after I was getting slow speeds that seems to have corrected some of the behavioural issues I've been having for a few years, now, but it's still exhibiting less-than-expected results when running speed tests with a wired connection.  

When I run a speed test with a wired connection, it starts at the expected speed, but gradually reduces down to around the 120Mbps mark - the graph shows a gentle downward slope.  The upload portion of the test seems to remain at around 60Mbps, though when I first tested after hearing about the upload speed increase, it was a consistent 100Mbps all the way through. 

It seems to be a bit more consistent when testing wirelessly on my laptop - it'll peak at around 160-180Mbps at first, then gradually slope down to around the same 120Mbps mark.  Upload testing wirelessly shows a consistent 40-50Mbps.

0 Kudos

-- Macbook Pro with a 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 CPU...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ziggurcat -- Macbook Pro with a 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 CPU 

The Shaw Speed Test is "single-threaded" -- it only uses 1 of the 4 cores (although the Operating System may spread processing over the 4 processors).  So, having 2.7 Ghz per core should be enough power to run the test at "full speed".

> It is getting a little old, and has gotten a lot of use over the years. 

The test does not do any disk-drive input/output, so the speed of your disk-drive does not matter.

> it's still exhibiting less-than-expected results when running speed tests with a wired connection

There might be some value in borrowing a friend's "modern" Windows-based notebook PC, with a 2.5 Ghz (or better) CPU, and making a wired connection to your router, and then run the Speed Test -- either to confirm the results, or to show a significant difference in the results.

Is your MacBook Pro on battery-power, or AC power, when running the test?  On battery-power, the computer may go into "battery-life-extending" mode, and run more slowly, and the test will produce lower numbers.

I have heard of older Windows-based notebook computers "sticking" on "battery-life-extending" mode, even after AC power is restored to it. Hopefully, your MacBook returns to full speed, when running on AC power.

0 Kudos

checking your connection the signal looks solid to your m...

shaw-tony

@ziggurcat checking your connection the signal looks solid to your modem with errors showing up. There also no reports of issues in your area. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help