WIFI printer

wynford
Grasshopper

I have a slightly older HP Photosmart D110 printer wireless printer... when I set it up to my new Gateway 2.0 modem, I see a message and was able to print a test page successfully.

However, using HP's HP Smart windows app, the app cannot find the printer and I cannot print anything unless I use the USB cable.

The printer did work with the Hitron modem I had.

What could the problem be?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

-- your previous (Hitron) modem granted a "192.168.xxx.yy...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@wynford -- your previous (Hitron) modem granted a "192.168.xxx.yyy" IP-address to your printer.

Your current modem has granted a "10.0.aaa.bbb" IP-address to your printer.

Can you uninstall HP's HP Smart windows app, restart your computer, and reinstall the app, to see if this "refresh" helps?

0 Kudos

I've done all that, HP Smart sees the printer... but I ge...

wynford
Grasshopper

I've done all that, HP Smart sees the printer... but I get error messages... I've posted on HP's support site, but no response yet. From I've seen on HP's support site... I lot of people are having the same problem... I think the HP Smart app is broken somewhere.

hp smart.jpgwired.jpgwireless.jpg

0 Kudos

-- that "169.254.xxx.yyy" IP-address is an indication tha...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@wynford -- that "169.254.xxx.yyy" IP-address is an indication that the printer has not received an IP-address from your cable-modem. With the newest Shaw cable-modems, it should have a "10.0.0.zzz" type of IP-address.

Disconnect the USB cable from the printer, and try to do a "factory reset", to replace that "169.254.x.y" IP-address by a "10.something" IP-address.

Or, maybe connect the USB cable to the printer, and run the HP software to do a "first-time" setup for the WiFi adapter inside the printer.

0 Kudos

I've done all that... no difference... the printer connec...

wynford
Grasshopper

I've done all that... no difference... the printer connects to the modem and it prints a test page... that's why I'm thinking it's an HP Smart app problem...

test.jpg

0 Kudos

You could try temporarily turning off band steering on th...

rstra
Grand Master

@wynford  You could try temporarily turning off band steering on the modem, see if that helps.

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/how-to-connect-2-4-ghz-devices-without-disabling-band-s...

0 Kudos

Unplugged printer USB from laptop Click on Disable and th...

wynford
Grasshopper

Unplugged printer USB from laptop

Click on Disable and then Save Settings

- done

Note: After disabling 5 GHz, all wireless devices will switch to 2.4GHz automatically as it has the same SSID as 5 GHz. Additionally, any Pods will go offline for approximately 10-15 minutes. 

- waited 15 minutes

Connect the device in question to the network

- Plugged printer USB back in

Once you have confirmed the device is connected, go back to step 8 and select Enable

- done

Once the 5 GHz network is enabled again, pods will automatically come back online and the devices from step 9 will remain connected to the 2.4 GHz band.

- the 5 GHz still says 5 GHz and not 2.4 GHz

If I remember correctly, with my old Hitron, I had to disable WPS and pick another Security Mode from a drop down menu and that got my printer to print wirelessly... the Security Mode in the Gateway is greyed out for 2.4 and 5 GHz.

I guess I'm, unfortunately, stuck using the printer wired or maybe buy a new printer.

0 Kudos

-- that "169.254.xxx.yyy" IP-address is an "IPv4" address...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@wynford -- that "169.254.xxx.yyy" IP-address is an "IPv4" address.

It's possible that the HP Smart app is successfully using an "IPv6" address, and thus the printer never asks for your cable-modem to supply an IPv4 address.

On your computer, show the connection settings for the printer, to see if it is trying to communicate with IPv4 or IPv6.

I don't remember if my previous cable-modem, the "Hitron", did IPv6.  Hmm.

0 Kudos

I’m not home right now, but when I do get home, I’ll try...

wynford
Grasshopper

I’m not home right now, but when I do get home, I’ll try the IPv6 address, I do have both, and will let you know. HP Smart does have a search for an IP address.

0 Kudos

Thank you so very much for all your time trouble and help...

wynford
Grasshopper

Thank you so very much for all your time trouble and help... it is greatly appreciated... but...

I tried both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, but neither worked... so for now, even though wireless printing is nice, I'll keep it wired as I can still print and scan using the Windows default drivers and the main thing.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help