Jump to solution

$5.00 additional charge. When I phoned to order I was put on hold and then told that the box they hooked me up with last year when I moved here was obsolete and not compatible with a second TV and that I had to upgrade!!! This must be a scam. My sist

Not applicable

I phoned this morning to request my second tv be set up in my bedroom. I knew there would be a additional charge of $5.00.  Everything during the conversation was going fine and just when I thought we were done, I was put on hold for 10 minutes.  When she came back I was told that the box that was hooked up when I moved here last year was obsolete and not compatible with a second television and that I had to upgrade!   Why am I expected to pay to replace your defunct equipment? Why was it given to me in the first place?  Is this a scam?  My sister has 3 TV's and has lived in the same place for 20 years and they haven't had to upgrade anything.  Now I am wondering if I needed to buy a new TV at all.  I just got tired of having to reboot it every week, then it went down for an entire day last week and the phone number I have always used for Shaw these last 5 years no longer worked.   I'm a good customer, I pay my bill at least a week before it's due.  I have had 5 increases to my bill since I moved here 5 years ago, and I pay them, never getting better or faster service.  In fact my service gets slower in monthly increments. Now I'm expected to pay to upgrade you obsolete equipment?  Sorry, but the whopping $3.00 monthly increase I got for the government doesn't stretch that far.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Re: $5.00 additional charge. When I phoned to order I was put on hold and then told that the box they hooked me up with last year when I moved here was obsolete and not compatible with a second TV and that I had to upgrade!!! This must be a scam. My

shaw-tamara

Hi darylahanna 

We may not be able to get you an answer on why this is the case because this sounds like an account specific issue, so it might be best to get in touch with customer support. However, I'll do my best to see if we can give you some general information on why your equipment many not be compatible.

Most of our cable equipment can be used for many years before it becomes obsolete. There are many customers who are using cable boxes that are 10+ years old without any issues, but over time, there may be changes in technology that result in certain boxes no longer being supported (an example would be an older model that was retired a few years ago because it could no longer support Video on Demand). There are also differences in some of the areas that we service, so a box that worked in one city might not work properly in another, and in that case it would need to be replaced. 

Additionally, there are some limitations with boxes like the BlueSky TV PVR, where you can only have BlueSky TV compatible portals on the account as other models of cable boxes will not work on the network that needs to be set up for BlueSky. If you wanted a PVR that is accessible from both televisions, then you would need to have either BlueSky TV or Gateway equipment for that to happen, so that might necessitate making changes to the equipment on the account.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jump to solution

Re: $5.00 additional charge. When I phoned to order I was put on hold and then told that the box they hooked me up with last year when I moved here was obsolete and not compatible with a second TV and that I had to upgrade!!! This must be a scam. My

shaw-tamara

Hi darylahanna 

We may not be able to get you an answer on why this is the case because this sounds like an account specific issue, so it might be best to get in touch with customer support. However, I'll do my best to see if we can give you some general information on why your equipment many not be compatible.

Most of our cable equipment can be used for many years before it becomes obsolete. There are many customers who are using cable boxes that are 10+ years old without any issues, but over time, there may be changes in technology that result in certain boxes no longer being supported (an example would be an older model that was retired a few years ago because it could no longer support Video on Demand). There are also differences in some of the areas that we service, so a box that worked in one city might not work properly in another, and in that case it would need to be replaced. 

Additionally, there are some limitations with boxes like the BlueSky TV PVR, where you can only have BlueSky TV compatible portals on the account as other models of cable boxes will not work on the network that needs to be set up for BlueSky. If you wanted a PVR that is accessible from both televisions, then you would need to have either BlueSky TV or Gateway equipment for that to happen, so that might necessitate making changes to the equipment on the account.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help