Re: How do I change the guide?

yvrdave
Grasshopper

OK, thanks shaw-tony, pressing the MENU button twice did return me to my previous recording.  Would never have figured that out myself, so thanks.

Now, if only someone would design a more colourful guide like it was before.

Regards,

yvrdave

shaw-tony

Hey nothappy2,

Thank you for reaching out! The options will have the menu preferences available. There is no way to change how the guide is displayed. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

ksbigfoot
Grasshopper

I totally dislike the changes made to making the guide all black in color.  So hard to view.  Was this only done on the "Old" Gateway system or was this colour change also done to the Sky?... Is this you way of making us so frustrated and want us to upgrade to the Sky?

0 Kudos

ksbigfoot
Grasshopper

After doing some research, I see that you are changing the Gateway to look more like your Blue Sky.  I still disagree with this change. Hard on the eyes.  I see the little color bar beside the time slot entry, but so small can hardly see it.  This change was a horrible change in my opinion. Give us the option to go back to a different color scheme.  I know you posted "There is no way to change how the guide is displayed" in previous posts.  But there is a way if you get your developers to change it back to the way it was or write a new feature that gives us the option.... Thanks

0 Kudos

Not applicable

I totally agree with you here coolcanukinylw and all the point you make, especially about involving the user base before making these types of arbitrary decisions.  

An yvrDave also makes a good point about the PVR recordings having to be scrolled thru to get back to where you were if you pause and switched to live TV then came back.  Poor programming once again. 

I have been a systems, business, and data analyst/architect, as well as an application  developer for over 40 years.  During my tenure I have seen people who, in those capacities, who thought they new better than their users (customers), make arbitrary decisions as to what the customers needed without consulting them, shown the door.  

What was the reasoning in changing the guide and other pieces of the UI to a harsh black and white scheme that is difficult to read (especially for older eyes) and removing the color classifications for the different programming types? 

I have reviewed all the before and after images Shaw provided in the read more sections, and frankly I do not see any benefit or reason why this change to the colors in the UI were made. 

One thing I learned very early in my career was to ask the question: "what problem are you trying to solve"?  In this case there was no problem. Just an arbitrary decision that affected your entire customer base. 

Shaw made this same move several years ago and public outcry forced then to revert back, and we had this in place for a few years.  And now Shaw has done the same thing again. Kind of sounds like the definition of insanity doesn't it?  Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?  How could you not see that this was going to cause problems again? 

Furthermore, the guide for the non-gateway subscribers still has the color scheme associate with it. Heaven forbid if you make this same stupid decision there as well.

So again, I ask, what problem were you trying to solve here? 

I have been a Shaw customer ever since Shaw took over from Rogers which I was a subscriber to for a long time before that.  I have been approached at least 3 times in the past 2 years by Telus offering me Optik TV with a no charge install including running Fiber backbone to the house, as well as some tempting price and programming offers.  In addition they offer internet speeds up and down at the same rate.  If you have 150 down, you also get 150 up which in today's world where cloud storage for backups is becoming the norm, this makes it very appealing. 

Since Shaw is making arbitrary decisions affect me and the usability of their products not just for me but many other of your customers judging by the comments in this thread, I am seriously contemplating switching my TV programming to Telus because of this type of behavior. 

If your management/development team is worth even half of what they are being paid, they would see the need to respond to customer requirements , and could and would  revert back to the colored scheme.

If you have other users who are so thrilled with the new look, and want to keep the black and white scheme as it is now, then provide two UI options (user selectable) for Gateway Guide and other components: "Classic UI"  or "Black and White".  This is an easy to do quick win for Shaw to roll out. 

Please, do the right thing and fix these issues with the Guide and viewing recorded programs list not staying where you left it.  

Thanks

0 Kudos

Not applicable

I totally agree with you here coolcanukinylw and all the point you make, especially about involving the user base before making these types of arbitrary decisions.  

An yvrDave also makes a good point about the PVR recordings having to be scrolled thru to get back to where you were if you pause and switched to live TV then came back.  Poor programming once again. 

I have been a systems, business, and data analyst/architect, as well as an application  developer for over 40 years.  During my tenure I have seen people who, in those capacities, who thought they new better than their users (customers), make arbitrary decisions as to what the customers needed without consulting them, shown the door.  

What was the reasoning in changing the guide and other pieces of the UI to a harsh black and white scheme that is difficult to read (especially for older eyes) and removing the color classifications for the different programming types? 

I have reviewed all the before and after images Shaw provided in the read more sections, and frankly I do not see any benefit or reason why this change to the colors in the UI were made. 

One thing I learned very early in my career was to ask the question: "what problem are you trying to solve"?  In this case there was no problem. Just an arbitrary decision that affected your entire customer base. 

Shaw made this same move several years ago and public outcry forced then to revert back, and we had this in place for a few years.  And now Shaw has done the same thing again. Kind of sounds like the definition of insanity doesn't it?  Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?  How could you not see that this was going to cause problems again? 

Furthermore, the guide for the non-gateway subscribers still has the color scheme associate with it. Heaven forbid if you make this same stupid decision there as well.

So again, I ask, what problem were you trying to solve here? 

I have been a Shaw customer ever since Shaw took over from Rogers which I was a subscriber to for a long time before that.  I have been approached at least 3 times in the past 2 years by Telus offering me Optik TV with a no charge install including running Fiber backbone to the house, as well as some tempting price and programming offers.  In addition they offer internet speeds up and down at the same rate.  If you have 150 down, you also get 150 up which in today's world where cloud storage for backups is becoming the norm, this makes it very appealing. 

Since Shaw is making arbitrary decisions affect me and the usability of their products not just for me but many other of your customers judging by the comments in this thread, I am seriously contemplating switching my TV programming to Telus because of this type of behavior. 

If your management/development team is worth even half of what they are being paid, they would see the need to respond to customer requirements , and could and would  revert back to the colored scheme.

If you have other users who are so thrilled with the new look, and want to keep the black and white scheme as it is now, then provide two UI options (user selectable) for Gateway Guide and other components: "Classic UI"  or "Black and White".  This is an easy to do quick win for Shaw to roll out. 

Please, do the right thing and fix these issues with the Guide and viewing recorded programs list not staying where you left it.  

Thanks

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Does not help at all. See my lengthy post below regarding this unwanted and unsolicited change.

0 Kudos

We just got our new box and my husband has a very hard ti...

Mpsavage
Grasshopper

We just got our new box and my husband has a very hard time reading the white print on black screen, sometimes it seems quite faint. He swears every time he has to use it, is there no way to make the print bolder or change it?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help