Shaw replacing DCX 3510-M with Bluecurve wireless in 2024? NO!!!!!!!!!

BeauWorld
Grasshopper

I was reading online about what the wireless Bluecurve box is. Oh, my God NO! SHAW, PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!!!!!!!!! I use the DCX 3510-M from Shaw for TV only. I don't have internet service from Shaw. I don't have high-speed at all, nor do I own a cell phone. So I have no access to apps. My internet is the same dialup I've had since 1994 from Bell MTS. I pay $32/month for it and that's enough. Who can afford $75/month for high-speed internet? My household expenses were figured out by me in 1984, ten years before the internet started. I do high-speed sessions, like what I'm doing right now, with my laptop, at either a lounge, or a library, or in my car, using free wifi. To me, all of this should have NOTHING to do with a TV cable box. Why are you including apparently mandatory internet with this? I just want a cable box! And I can't just stop my dialup with Bell MTS and go with Shaw instead, apparently taking at least an additional $40/month out of my RRSP every month until I die, because if I did that, I would lose my email address, which is beauh@mts.net! Whatever internet I have HAS to be with Bell MTS. Am I going to lose the ability to watch any television when the day comes that I can't use the DCX 3510-M anymore? SHAW/ROGERS, PLEASE DON'T DO THIS TO ME!!!!!!! CONTINUE HAVING JUST ORDINARY CABLE BOXES!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
24 Replies

Hi  , that's a very nice plea you have done.  Could I sug...

g-idk
Master

Hi @BeauWorld , that's a very nice plea you have done.  Could I suggest though you copy and paste this whole statement to the Shaw Your Voice link, this way they will actually receive your concerns, since this forum is not really followed by Shaw too much.  Here is the link   Contact Resolution - Enhanced Customer Feedback | Shaw .  I'll be honest with you though, I don't hold out much hope for your wish, they all want tv to be provided through the internet because they can provide more channels and higher quality picture namely more HD channels that can be offered. Even in some brand new buildings the coxial cable your used too is not even being installed anymore, they now install fibre-optic lines just for high speed internet access, which allows telephone/tv/internet all through that system now.  I do wish you luck though.  

0 Kudos

I haven’t heard any thing yet, but the non PVR version of...

rstra
Grand Master

@BeauWorld @g-idk  I haven’t heard any thing yet, but the non PVR version of that box is going away, the 3510 will likely follow soon. By law Rogers will still have to offer a cable box to deliver Limited TV without having to subscribe to internet. Rogers does offer Ignite as a stand-alone service, so that is likely what will happen.

0 Kudos

Hi  , I went and looked up the info. from rogers, and I u...

g-idk
Master

Hi @rstra , I went and looked up the info. from rogers, and I understand how they are doing it now. It is all iptv with the new boxes not the old system and what they do is provide you with a gateway modem for $10.00 per month so the boxes can connect wirelessly but the box will not provide any type of internet access for the general user, it is only for the tv box to work.  Rogers also says that the $25.00 min. tv package does not include any hardware, so you must pay the rental for the tv box and the gateway modem for the ignite system to work.  Looks like the old boxes will be eventually going.    

0 Kudos

Yes, that is correct, same hardware for everyone. Cable b...

rstra
Grand Master

@g-idk  Yes, that is correct, same hardware for everyone. Cable boxes were actually never included, Shaw customers had the option of using a purchased box, that would option would go away. I hope they also give customers of other TV plans, the option to opt out of internet. I would like to get third party internet, but that is probably wishful thinking.

0 Kudos

, keep wishing, lol .  Yes Shaw always charged the $5.00...

g-idk
Master

@rstra , keep wishing, lol 😀.  Yes Shaw always charged the $5.00 tv box rental on the limited tv plan, but if it goes the Rogers way when the old boxes are retired then you pay $5.00 for the TV box and $10.00 for the Gateway Modem just for their version of limited tv, so they will ding you an extra $10.00 for the system to actually work because it still needs wi-fi access, lol. Geez poor people they get you one way or another, at least the previous poster @BeauWorld , shouldn't have to worry about switching there internet provider since it is dial-up 🙄 they still have. They still will have a way of watching basic tv without the old boxes.  I think full integration is still a ways off (ie. changing the name and colours on the home app but it is actually still the same old Shaw App and not the actual Rogers App, which has some different options).  I hope to see improved tv bundles as well.  Oh I forgot isn't tomorrow when Shaw is supposed to be offering some new things, July 11??  Guess I have to wait and see.    

0 Kudos

Actually I just found the Ignite stand-alone packages, so...

rstra
Grand Master

@g-idk  Actually I just found the Ignite stand-alone packages, so third party internet may be an option. Check it out, you need to change your location to Ontario on their website.

https://www.rogers.com/tv/ignite-tv-only

0 Kudos

, for sure, that's where and how I got my info. about the...

g-idk
Master

@rstra , for sure, that's where and how I got my info. about the standalone package from Rogers and the cost breakdown.  Good you provided a link for people, we will have to wait and see if and when it's for us.  Wow they changed the background to dark mode and we have some red happening, the whole thing should be in dark mode, it looks sharper.  

0 Kudos

Thank you very much for the info. I wonder what a "limite...

BeauWorld
Grasshopper

Thank you very much for the info. I wonder what a "limited TV" bundle is. And can I add channels. Now with Shaw, I have channels that go up to 100 and higher, up to channel 200, but between 80 and 200 some are free, some aren't. I purchase all four Crave channels, Fight Network, and the time-shift channels. I wonder what it'll cost to get everything I have now. I certainly still want the free TSN 2, for AEW wrestling on Wednesdays.

0 Kudos

Thank you very much for the info. See the reply I gave an...

BeauWorld
Grasshopper

Thank you very much for the info. See the reply I gave another poster in this thread about limited TV and adding channels, although the page has my reply as if I'm replying to the thread, not that individual poster. What do you mean about an internet provider? If Ignite has a way to buy TV without having internet - see that other poster's link - what would that have to do with wifi access and an internet provider? Is is because even that limited TV needs some kind of internet access that I don't have? You mean a cheap version of what I don't want? If so, does that mean I can't purchase the four Crave channels, the time-shift channels, or Fight Network? I have channels up to ch. 80 and scattered free channels up to ch. 200 with Shaw right now. I hope "limited TV' doesn't mean only 20 channels or something like that. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help