I am a member of a discord forum for the NHL games with s...

Bronco-73
Grasshopper

I am a member of a discord forum for the NHL games with several other members, around 20 of them.   Many are also on Shaw blue curve and their live feeds are in the neighborhood of 15 seconds ahead of mine.  They are in major centers, I am in Lethbridge.   The major reason I use television is for live sports and the lag has ruined my ability to be a part of the online forum.  As such, if shaw doesn't fix this problem I will be going elsewhere the very second my contract expires.

Watching the same channel on my iPhone over wifi on the s...

TWA
Grasshopper

Watching the same channel on my iPhone over wifi on the same modem the iPhone is a  several seconds ahead of my main Bluecurve pvr box.

Compared to a friend in a different province watching cfl football on satellite he was almost 2 down’s ahead of what I was seeing.

Shaw needs to address this, it is really annoying.

0 Kudos

--  Watching the same channel on my iPhone over wifi on t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@TWA --  Watching the same channel on my iPhone over wifi on the same modem the iPhone is a several seconds ahead of my main Bluecurve pvr box.

That implies that the PVR is "buffering" for a few seconds.

Compared to a friend in a different province watching CFL football on satellite, he was almost 2 downs ahead of what I was seeing.

Is your iPhone synchronized with what your online friend is seeing?

Are you watching on an SD channel or on a HD channel? The latter uses more bandwidth per second.

Shaw needs to address this.

It might be difficult to eliminate any "lag", given the limitations of the current technology.

Can you "cast" from your iPhone to your TV?  Maybe, via a Google ChromeCast device?

0 Kudos

I watched a hockey game in HD over AirPlay and it is abou...

TWA
Grasshopper

I watched a hockey game in HD over AirPlay and it is about 7 seconds ahead of the tv box.

A friend watching an HD sportsnet channel on Telus was still slightly ahead of me.  

Although this is better , it is not the fix I was hoping for.  Watching video on my iPhone can make the battery go dead fast.  Also it is not convenient to channels surf during commercials.  I hope the engineers at Shaw or Rogers can figure this out! 

0 Kudos

--  I hope the engineers at Shaw or Rogers can figure thi...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@TWA --  I hope the engineers at Shaw or Rogers can figure this out! 

The "lag" is caused by your TV, as it processes the incoming audio/video signals.

What manufacturer & model-number is your TV? 

It might be expensive, but can you try a TV with a faster processor?

0 Kudos

Hi mdk, my tv is a LG OLED 65CXPUA, I believe the process...

TWA
Grasshopper

Hi mdk, my tv is a LG OLED 65CXPUA, I believe the processor is an alpha symbol 9 Gen3 AI processor 4K with Ai.  I’m thinking that there are many TVs with worse processors.  Judging by the number of people with this problem it seems that Shaw is more interested in offloading or blaming the problem on someone else instead of looking at their own end for a fix

0 Kudos

The “lag” is caused by the broadcast delay, audio/video p...

rstra
Grand Master

@TWA  The “lag” is caused by the broadcast delay, audio/video processing and distribution up and down satellites, unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done to fix it.

TALK TO US
We're here to help