Jump to solution

TV Remotes

spike1940
Grasshopper

I have BlueSky + Netflix. Why does the batteries on my TV remote get used up so quickly? On previous remotes the batteries would last quite a long time.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

chat or call in to Shaw and ask for a replacement to be s...

rstra
Grand Master

@bsherstone chat or call in to Shaw and ask for a replacement to be sent out. Unless you are watching TV 24 hours a day, this should not be happening.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Jump to solution

I do find the BlueSky TV remotes use batteries more quick...

shaw-valerie

@spike1940 I do find the BlueSky TV remotes use batteries more quickly than previous remotes myself, but when you're finding the batteries drained "so quickly" can you be a bit more specific on what that time frame is that you're seeing? Battery usage is obviously tied to how much you're using the remote, but I'd still expect that you're replacing the batteries in a time frame easily measured in say months, rather than days. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes, I will definitely take a note of how long they last...

spike1940
Grasshopper

Yes, I will definitely take a note of how long they last  next time I change them. It's just that before I would put the batteries into the remote and forget about them for ages

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Are the batteries you are using labelled "alkaline" -- wh...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Are the batteries you are using labelled "alkaline" -- which is a better chemical composition than the really-cheap batteries ?

If you have a multi-meter, measure the amperage (not the voltage) of brand-new batteries, and then re-measure when you think that they are "toast".

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I’m having the same problem and not using cheap batteries...

bsherstone
Grasshopper

I’m having the same problem and not using cheap batteries.  A week or so and they’re toast.  Why is this happening?  

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- why is this happening? What brand-name of batteries? C...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@bsherstone -- why is this happening?

What brand-name of batteries? Carbon-zinc, or alkaline, or rechargeable?

Do you have a good multi-meter, to measure both the voltage and amperage when brand-new, and then re-measure daily? Measuring only the voltage, and not the amperage, is not recommended. (One person cannot push a spun-out-on-snow automobile, but four pushers, offering an aggregated greater "amperage", but the same "voltage" per person, can move it.)

I have measured "cheap" 9V batteries, purchased from a "dollar store", and some brands, even with identical chemistry, are much better than others. Same observation for "non-cheap" alkaline-chemistry 9V batteries.

Could it be one key on the remote that is "stuck" in the "down" position, continually sending some signals, or causing the lamps on the remote-control to stay lit? That could "drain" the batteries.

Jump to solution

Thanks for your response. We use Duracell alkaline batter...

bsherstone
Grasshopper

Thanks for your response. We use Duracell alkaline batteries (non-rechargeable). We don’t have a multi-meter. Have checked the remote and no stuck buttons. This has been happening since we got the new TV/remote.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

does the remote stop working or are you just getting the...

rstra
Grand Master

@bsherstone does the remote stop working or are you just getting the warning from BlueCurve? I can continue to use my remote for a couple months after the first warning.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

It stops working.  Very frustrating.

bsherstone
Grasshopper

It stops working.  Very frustrating.

Jump to solution

chat or call in to Shaw and ask for a replacement to be s...

rstra
Grand Master

@bsherstone chat or call in to Shaw and ask for a replacement to be sent out. Unless you are watching TV 24 hours a day, this should not be happening.

TALK TO US
We're here to help