This guide will provide instructions for rebooting (power cycling) your Digital Boxes, Shaw Gateway, Modems and Digital Phone Terminals. A power cycle is a basic troubleshooting step to try if a service isn't working as it should. When a piece of equipment is power cycled, it forces the unit into a known, good state. Quite often this will resolve problems with the service.
Did You Know
If you are using a Digital Box with the classic guide, the channel guide will display To Be Announced after the reset. This is normal; you can expect the channel listings to populate within the hour. If your Digital Box has an Expander (External Hard Drive) connected to it, please refer to:
Learn more: How to reset a digital box with an Expander
Power cycling a Digital Box
Power cycling a digital box simply means turning it off and on. If you do not have an Expander connected to your Digital Box, please perform the following steps to reset your Digital Box:
- Locate and unplug the power cable on your Digital Box
- Wait 30 seconds
- Plug the power back into the Digital Box
- Wait approximately 1-2 minutes for the Interactive Guide functions to be fully restored
Related: Hardware Information - Motorola DCX3200 - M, Hardware Information - Arris Portal MP2150
Power cycling a Shaw Gateway
Follow these steps to reboot (power cycle) your Gateway / Portal system.
If you want to reset your Shaw Gateway system on your own, you can perform the following reset:
- Locate the reset button on the back of your Gateway Portal
- Press and hold the reset button for 6 seconds, then release
Reset button on the back of the portal
- The portal will now be reset. This process can take up to a few minutes to complete
- If the problem persists, locate the reset button on the back of the main Gateway unit
- Press the reset button once, then release immediately
Reset button on the back of the main gateway unit
- The Gateway system will now be reset. This process can take up to a few minutes to complete
If you are still experiencing issues after performing these resets, please Contact Us
Power cycling a Shaw Gateway HDPVR
Follow these steps to reboot (power cycle) your Shaw Gateway HDPVR.
- Hold the power button for 4 seconds and then release
- The Gateway HDPVR will now be reset. This process can take up to a few minutes to complete.
Related: Hardware Information - Gateway HDPVR
Power cycling a Shaw BlueCurve Gateway
Follow these steps to reboot (power cycle) your Shaw BlueCurve Gateway.
- Unplug the power cord on either end. At the back of the Gateway, or at the power source.
- Wait for 10 seconds, then plug the power cord back in.
- The Gateway has completed the reboot and is online when the light on the top is solid white.
Related: Equipment Info: BlueCurve Gateway
Power cycling a Shaw modem and router
Follow these steps to reboot (power cycle) a Shaw modem or router.
- Unplug the power from your Shaw Modem, leaving all other connections secure
- Unplug the power from your router and wait at least 30 seconds
- Plug the power back into your Shaw Modem only
- Wait until the Shaw Modem comes back online, as indicated by a steady Online light (this may take a few minutes depending on the model of Shaw Modem that you have)
- Plug the power back into your router
- Restart your computer and test your Internet connection
If you are still experiencing issues after following the above steps, please follow these steps to bypass your router:
- Unplug the power from your Shaw Modem and shut down your computer
- Disconnect the network (Ethernet) cable from the back of the router and plug this cable into your computer, establishing a direct connection between your Shaw Modem and computer
- Wait at least 30 seconds, then plug the power back into your Shaw Modem
- Wait until the Shaw Modem is online, as indicated by a steady Online light
- Turn on your computer and test your Internet connection
If you are unable to connect to the Internet after bypassing your router, please contact our technical support line at 1-888-472-2222. Otherwise, if you are able to connect to the Internet while connected directly to the modem, you will need to consult the manufacturer of your router for further support.
Related: Hardware Information - Cisco DPC3825 Internet Modem, Hardware Information - Hitron CGNM-2250 DOCSIS 3.0 WiFi modem
Power cycling a Digital Phone Terminal
Follow these steps to reboot (power cycle) a Shaw Digital Phone Terminal (DPT).
- Once you have located and identified your Digital Phone Terminal, please disconnect the black power cable from the back of the device.
- The Motorola SBV 5120 and SBV 5220 both use a power cable with a clip located on the side of the plug. Please depress this clip to release the plug from its connector. Once the power cable has been disconnected, all of the lights on the front of the DPT should be off.
- Remove the battery from the bottom of the Digital Phone Terminal. Please see Removing the Battery from your DPT for details on how to do this.
- This step applies only to the Motorola SBV 5220, Arris TM502 and Arris TM602 models. The Motorola SBV 5120's battery is external and part of the power supply.
- Wait thirty seconds before restoring power to the DPT by reconnecting the power cable to its original connection on the back of the DPT.
- Wait two to three minutes for the TEL1 and TEL2 lights to start flashing simultaneously before testing the dial tone on your phones. If your phone service is still unavailable after an additional five minutes, please Contact Us
Additionally, each device can be reset using the pinhole reset. Click the name of your device for additional troubleshooting steps:
Note: The Arris TM502 and TM602 models both have the same front display. Please check the sticker on the back of the unit located to the left or right of the power plug for your specific model.
Related: Hardware Information - Motorola SBV 5120 Phone Terminal, Motorola SBV 5220 Phone Terminal, ArrisTM502 Phone Terminal,
Arris TM602 Phone Terminal