Jump to solution

These settings cannot be modified so you can't have a VPN...

julesdeb
Grasshopper

These settings cannot be modified so you can't have a VPN is another correct answer?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- These settings cannot be modified, so you can't have a...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@julesdeb -- These settings cannot be modified, so you can't have a VPN is another correct answer?

No, it is not a correct answer.

To initialize a VPN connection, you need to ask the Shaw DNS-server for the IP-address of the VPN-server, e.g., "what is the IP-address for the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) for [vpn.bcit.ca]?".  After your VPN-client has connected, via IP-address, to the VPN-server, your future DNS-requests are "tunnelled" through the VPN-connection to the DNS-servers at BCIT. It is those DNS-servers that reply. Putting those DNS-requests through the VPN-tunnel is what gives your connection the "P" -- for "private" -- part of "VPN".

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

So, the older modem has less features than the new modem?...

chadreitsma
Grasshopper

So, the older modem has less features than the new modem? Geez guys.  Would be nice if you can provide support for this soon.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

How exactly does this optimize my network if I can't rout...

Unknown303
Grasshopper

How exactly does this optimize my network if I can't route traffic as I see fit?  We're not allow to use our own DNS servers as shaw customers now.. poor form.

Jump to solution

Telus allows changing DNS server settings in their device...

Guest083263
Grasshopper

Telus allows changing DNS server settings in their devices. This is just poor provisioning by Shaw and further controlling of customer's access to internet.  

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help