Help! Advice/suggestions appreciated - 30 year monthly billing subscriber

newgin
Grasshopper

I have been on monthly billing for 30+ years and am very concerned about Shaw's frequent price increases every year. I suspect we are paying too much for what we get. I have put off calling Shaw, which I do not relish due to the time involved, the possibility of getting an uninformed/unhelpful agent, and the fact that the technical aspects are mostly over my head. 

Currently paying close to $200/mo for:

Internet 75 ($91) with unlimited data, Cisco modem which until 6 mos ago was bridged to a 3rd party router that quit. Since Shaw unbridged the modem, we seem to have daily internet dropouts.
Personal TV ($60)
Best of HD ($35)
Plus a couple of extra pay channels
Promotion (free) rental of gateway PVR

We are a middle aged couple with 1 TV, a couple of computers, and a couple of mobile devices. I rarely watch cable TV as I find most of it unwatchable, but occasionally watch Netflix. The spouse watches mostly soccer and a few nature programs, and also subscribes to a separate internet sports channel. Would like faster internet especially since we recently installed a Google Nest outdoor camera (may add another) and will also be installing a Nest Hello doorbell, for which we would like higher quality video if possible. Don't need/want telephone as we pay $10/month to Telus for an unlisted landline.

I would appreciate any input from those familiar with Shaw's current offerings in relation to our needs, as well as advice on the best way to approach/negotiate with them. I read on this forum there is no longer a Loyalty Dept? Would I be better off negotiating a 2 year contract? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

-- advice on the best way to approach/negotiate with the...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@newgin --  advice on the best way to approach/negotiate with them.

Another person on this forum suggested "politely" and "friendly" -- they are humans deserving respect, and might want some "casual chat" as part of your interaction.

>  I read on this forum there is no longer a Loyalty Dept?

I speculate that they merged those employees from that group into their front-line staff, to provide more Agents.

> Would I be better off negotiating a 2 year contract?

In my opinion, definitely, unless you are contemplating a switch to TELUS OPTIK, and would get "promotional" prices from them, as a "new subscriber". Or, get a "signed" offer from TELUS, and ask Shaw for their counter-offer.

> Personal TV ($60) / Best of HD ($35) / Plus a couple of extra pay channels

Maybe, switch to "Limited TV" ($25/month, plus rental of a Gateway PVR) and add a few "bundles" for the channels that you want.

You may be able to find a Shaw Gateway PVR on sites like www.used.ca or eBay or Kijiji or Craig's List, by people trying to sell that box, after they switched to TELUS. Buyer beware: get the serial-number, and verify with Shaw that they will "activate" it, before you purchase it -- it might be a "rental", or the seller may owe money to Shaw.

There really isn't any way to negotiate any more. The Sha...

rickatk
Master

@mdk wrote:

@newgin --  advice on the best way to approach/negotiate with them.

Another person on this forum suggested "politely" and "friendly" -- they are humans deserving respect, and might want some "casual chat" as part of your interaction.

>  I read on this forum there is no longer a Loyalty Dept?

I speculate that they merged those employees from that group into their front-line staff, to provide more Agents.

> Would I be better off negotiating a 2 year contract?

In my opinion, definitely, unless you are contemplating a switch to TELUS OPTIK, and would get "promotional" prices from them, as a "new subscriber". Or, get a "signed" offer from TELUS, and ask Shaw for their counter-offer.

> Personal TV ($60) / Best of HD ($35) / Plus a couple of extra pay channels

Maybe, switch to "Limited TV" ($25/month, plus rental of a Gateway PVR) and add a few "bundles" for the channels that you want.

You may be able to find a Shaw Gateway PVR on sites like www.used.ca or eBay or Kijiji or Craig's List, by people trying to sell that box, after they switched to TELUS. Buyer beware: get the serial-number, and verify with Shaw that they will "activate" it, before you purchase it -- it might be a "rental", or the seller may owe money to Shaw.

There really isn't any way to negotiate any more. The Shaw agents work with set protocols and basically have product codes which they plug in to your offer. There is not much at all going with month to month and any discounts are realized with a two year value deal. Some times the agents can put a "one time credit" on you account, usually for special circumstances like errors. The whole "negotiate" and Loyalty Department era is history now. I would say the same is true for Telus. They work in a similar fashion except their agents are predominantly located in Central America or the Phillipines and they have to check in with Burnaby for approvals. I suggest you get in touch with an agent, tell them what you have and want you want and let them do their magic. Most likely you will be talking about a 2 year deal with value discounts which isn't so bad. Happy shopping!

0 Kudos

All these answers are helpful - I appreciate your time an...

newgin
Grasshopper

All these answers are helpful - I appreciate your time and suggestions.

0 Kudos