Hi Legally, I don't believe that's the case. I carefully...

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

Hi @g-idk Legally, I don't believe that's the case. I carefully looked at the terms and more. Nowhere it mentions customers must pay before the due date. Even the almighty Shaw/Rogers can't win this in court especially since there have been not so recent rulings where the electronic timestamp is what determines the payment date.

I'll give you another example. With my Rogers Mastercard (which I used to pay my Shaw bill) the amount was withdrawn on the 17th and reflected on the 17th. And another example, I made payment to my Rogers credit card account on the 16th, it wasn't posted until the  19th. The payment transaction date was retroactive to the 16th.  Back in the day, this wasn't always the case especially with Amex and they said exactly what you did: the payment must be in Amex's hands on or before the due date. This is no longer the case. And BC Hydro works the same way. 

Should Shaw's system not operate this way, they are legally required to reverse the late payment charge (if challenged). The expectation from Shaw is that they want their customers to absorb the late payment fee.

I refuse to pay Shaw any earlier than my due date, but I might consider paying one day before the due date to ensure the payment is reflected in the next billing cycle. I'll take a wait-and-see approach to observe how their new system handles these payments.

0 Kudos

Hi  , let's hope your right, fingers crossed.  The thing...

g-idk
Master

Hi @Upfront6891 , let's hope your right, fingers crossed.  The thing you mention about credit cards could be true for your Rogers, but for my visa and mastercard both say in the fine print about only posted date counts and not transaction date, so not sure who to believe.  But never the less, it would take a very long time to wind it way through the court system especially in Canada, lawyers can delay things over and over.  Good Luck with the fight.  

Hi   To quote Arte Johnson from Laugh-In, "that's vvvvver...

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

Hi @g-idk 

To quote Arte Johnson from Laugh-In, "that's vvvvverrry interesting". My guess is your credit card companies haven't changed their fine print or it's regions specific.

My spouse reminded me of a call between Simplii Visa and they explicitly mentioned don't worry about the electronic email notification that there was a missed payment when it was made on the due date (30th for example), but not processed until the 2nd because it's the electronic time stamp that determines the date. I confirmed there was no interest charged either.  

0 Kudos

, yup just read my fine print again and for both cards it...

g-idk
Master

@Upfront6891 , yup just read my fine print again and for both cards it is posted date not transaction date, and boy is that highlighted also with any returns of purchases you make (only posted dates count not the transaction date). I don't think there is uniformity happening here.  But back to Rogers/Shaw, complaints have already been filed with the CRTC and rejected because that is not there mandate, then people have now filed with the CCTS back in June and they said they would look into it, but alas again zip zero nada,  I understand Telus does the same crap. Yes I highly recommend you pay at least 1 day before, come on anything could happen to you, like an injury or hospital if you leave things to the very last day.  Ok I wish you the honor of a good fight sir, may you be victorious.  

0 Kudos

Hi @g-idk, let's hope I won't need to fight this. I'm alr...

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

Hi @g-idk, let's hope I won't need to fight this. I'm already dealing with the Executive Office and Escalated Technical Support (Tier 2) on a home phone matter. This is all incredibly exhausting. You're right, Telus does the same thing. There is effectively no competition in Canada. Both the CRTC and CCTS are useless but at least the CCTS gets the wheels moving but largely remain impotent thanks to government legislation favoring Canada's telecom industry not the public. To [partially] quote the Joker in Michael Keaton's Batman, Parliament, our legislative framework, and our politicians in Canada needs an enema.

, yup so bloody true.  Now they have you spinning in circ...

g-idk
Master

@Upfront6891 , yup so bloody true.  Now they have you spinning in circles which is exactly where they want you to be.  I don't think I've ever responded to so many complaints/inquiries  regarding this whole new payment structure that Rogers/Shaw has introduced, and do you ever see a Rogers/Shaw rep on here anymore, nope left to us volunteers to try our best to explain.  Life you sure can be fun.  

Hi   I just got my bill. No late payment fee charged for...

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

Hi @g-idk 

I just got my bill. No late payment fee charged for making it on the 27th (due date) in July

The current billing date is from 27-Aug-24 to 26-Sep-24. Payment due date: 17-Sep-24. Interestingly, this invoice shows both the payment made on 27-Jul-24 and the one on 16-Aug-24. So if one wants to make the payment on the due date, that's ok. I'll make it one day before just to keep things clean. 

, awesome glad to hear that, yes 1 day just to play it sa...

g-idk
Master

@Upfront6891 , awesome glad to hear that, yes 1 day just to play it safe.  Have a great evening.