Jump to solution

Yes I have.Thank you. Hopefully they will give someday.

danhoc
Grasshopper

Yes I have.Thank you.

Hopefully they will give someday.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Good day,  I got the answer yesterday as to why some inte...

danhoc
Grasshopper

Good day,  I got the answer yesterday as to why some international calls can be blocked and why some cannot. Thanks to all that tried to help me understand how and why this works the way it does. 

Hello Daniel, thank your for your response. My name is Heather also from our Nanaimo office and I will be happy to assist with this.The specific reason you are not able to block the specific number you have mentioned: 1-808-855-6340 is due to the fact that it does not follow the North American Numbering Plan and therefore exceeds 10 digits in length. There are a total of 25 countries which have agreed to this plan (including Canada) and which you are able to block despite the fact that they are international. For more information about this plan, please have a look here: https://nationalnanpa.com/about_us/abt_nanp.html . We do appreciate the frustration at not being able to block certain numbers and we want to assure you that if there was any possible way to block an 11 digit number we would be more than happy to facilitate that for you. Unfortunately this is not a possibility at this time.

Jump to solution

Good info there, thanks for following up.

rstra
Grand Master

Good info there, thanks for following up.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> 1-808-855-6340 is due to the fact that it does not foll...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> 1-808-855-6340 is due to the fact that it does not follow the North American Numbering Plan and therefore exceeds 10 digits in length. 

1. 1

2. 8

3. 0

4. 8

5. 8

6. 5

7. 5

8. 6

9. 3

10. 4

11. 0

So, Heather has successfully counted to ELEVEN. Hoorah!  🙂

When I keyed <star><6><0><#>8088556340# (including waiting for the "beep" after the keying the first "#"), I was able to add the TEN-DIGIT number to Shaw's call-blocking service. All 24 numbers that I have blocked are 10-digit numbers.

QED

P.S. The last time I checked, HAWAII was the 50th state in the USA, and therefore is not really  "international", unless you also count the other 49 American states as being "international".  Note that Puerto Rico uses area-code 809 (and one other area-code), even though it is a different nation.  So, in this case "international" is not the same as "different nation". Also, Guam and American Samoa can be reached by dialing "1", and then their area-code, exchange code, and number.

See: List of country calling codes - Wikipedia

for this list: AG, AI, AS, BB, BM, BS, DM, DO, GD, GU, JM, KN, KY, LC, MP, MS, PR, SX, TC, TT, VC, VG, VI, UM

of other countries and territories reachable by dialing "1".

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Months later, it has become my turn to complain about Sha...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Months later, it has become my turn to complain about Shaw's inability to block 11-digit numbers.

I have been getting several "scam" calls to my Shaw Home Phone number -- "you have won $900 thousand and a new Ford Explorer in the Publishers Clearing House contest". I was told to go to Shoppers Drug Mart, to purchase a $500 "Perfect Visa Gift Card", and read all the numbers on the card to the scammer.  Bye-bye, that $500! Of course, I was told to keep my "win" totally confidential.

In the Caller-ID information, the "name" field shows as "Unavailable", and the "number" field shows as ELEVEN digits, e.g., 1-876-237-3402 or 1-876-207-4425 (insertion of "-" are mine, for legibility).

If I use Shaw's "*60" service, press "#", and then enter all 11 digits, the system drops the leading "1", and tells me that I have added the last 10 digits, namely:  "878-237-3402" and "876-207-4425" to the list of blocked numbers.  

But, I still am getting calls from those two numbers. Shaw is not blocking those numbers.

If I logon to the My Shaw Portal, I can see a list of all the numbers that I have blocked. If I click "Edit" on one of those numbers, the input-field only allows 10 digits, not 11 digits.

I have a few friends whose calls always show up with the name "Unavailable" -- usually from their cell-phone -- so I do not want to activate "Spam Call Blocking", because it may block their calls.

I did an online-chat with a Shaw Agent, but I got nothing useful. My phone-number has been listed, for years, on the federal government's "Do Not Call" list. So, that suggestion did not help. I speculate that their suggestion to go to that web-site in order to file a report could take a long time to produce any action. 

The latest-call from the scammer was at 07:10  Pacific -- annoyingly early in my day.

So, while a 10-digit number like "876-123-4567" can be blocked, a number like "18761234567" cannot be blocked. 

I am guessing that the caller is using VOIP, and thus has configured their device to show those 11 digits. Deliberately ???

Any ideas on how to get Shaw to improve their call-blocking services? My request in the online-chat person to "escalate" my issue to higher-level support seems to have been ignored.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

No smart Beep answers to give yourself on this issue ?

danhoc
Grasshopper

No smart Beep answers to give yourself on this issue ?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help