Jump to solution

Today, three months later, this issue has come up once ag...

YanBin
Grasshopper

Today, three months later, this issue has come up once again!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Today, three months later, this issue has come up once...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@YanBin -- Today, three months later, this issue has come up once again!

The managers of that "Great Firewall of China" must have caught-up with you, again. What are you posting that is deemed to be "offensive" to the Government of the People's Republic of China?

The two options are still the same:

1. get a different Shaw cable-modem/router, so that you get a different IP-address -- one that the Great Firewall is not blocking;

2. "bridge" the Shaw cable-modem, and connect a third-party router to one of the LAN ports on the cable-modem. You will get a different IP-address. If you purchase the "correct" router, you will be able to change the MAC-address of the WAN port on that router, and that will get you a different IP-address.

Not really an option is to switch to Telus, or some other provider, to get a different IP-address.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Since BlueCurve can't change DNS, I don't know how to...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@YanBin -- Since BlueCurve can't change DNS, I don't know how to go about trying to troubleshoot this weird problem. 

While I doubt that changing DNS-servers will bring you any closer to an answer, it can be done, for two reasons:

1. Shaw's DNS-servers are not "authoritative" for any domain-names. If you ask those servers for the IP-address for some FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name), such as www.ubc.ca, Shaw DNS-servers will not give you an "authoritative" answer. Instead, they will find the authoritative DNS-servers for the "ubc.ca" domain, namely "dns3.ubc.ca" and "hub.ubc.ca" and "nightbird.eis.utoronto.ca", and ask those DNS-servers for the IP-address of the host www.ubc.ca . If you could change DNS-servers, e.g., to Google's "8.8.8.8" server, then Google's DNS-server also is not "authoritative" for the "ubc.ca" domain. Google will ask the authoritative DNS-servers for the UBC.CA domain, as above, and will return identical information as what the Shaw DNS-server is returning to you.
  2. If you cannot change the configuration of the BlueCurve for *ALL* the devices on your LAN (Local Area Network), then, for trouble-shooting, you can change the DNS-servers for just *ONE* computer on your LAN, to try to see if there is any difference. I doubt that you will find anything.

In summary, blaming Shaw's DNS-servers is "barking up the wrong tree".

> My guess is that there is a problem with the network transmission from my house to the servers of these smart devices

I disagree. All the TCP/IP traffic for your smart-devices (doorbell camera, smart light-switches, security cameras, et cetera) stays "inside" your LAN. There are no "servers" that are "outside" of your LAN.

From the Internet, the BlueCurve App can access your BlueCurve router, and that router is connected to the devices on your LAN, allowing you to "peek" from outside of your LAN to the devices inside of your LAN.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I never post political comments online, but it still some...

YanBin
Grasshopper

I never post political comments online, but it still somehow happened to me twice. The XB6 that I previously replaced had not been returned to SHAW, so I replaced it with this one to see if it would work, and the white light came on normally, but there was no internet.
I have not heard of the same issue happening with telus users.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- The XB6 that I previously replaced had not been return...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@YanBin -- The XB6 that I previously replaced had not been returned to SHAW, so I replaced it with this one to see if it would work, and the white light came on normally, but there was no internet.

That is not a problem that can be solved on this peer-to-peer discussion forum.

Please contact Shaw (1-888-472-2222 or www.shaw.ca/chat ) for them to trouble-shoot.

Note that Shaw needs to "activate" every cable-modem that is attached to their network, by you telling them the serial-number of the cable-modem. No activation, no Internet.

> I have not heard of the same issue happening with telus users.

None of my friends who have Telus Internet can be profiled as ones who connect to web-servers in the People's Republic of China.  So, it follows that none of them have the same issue.

Have you kept the same online "handle" (nickname) over the years when you have had multiple cable-modems?  The Chinese authorities could be "spot-lighting" that ID, no matter whether you connect through Shaw or Telus or "other".

Properly "bridging" your XB6 will send a different MAC-address to Shaw, and Shaw will respond with a different IP-address. I don't know why that is not working for you.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Activated via other XB6 SN, full Internet access has now...

YanBin
Grasshopper

Activated via other XB6 SN, full Internet access has now been restored, but I don't know how long it will last.

TALK TO US
We're here to help