Jump to solution

It might be a good idea to migrate your mother away from...

rstra
Grand Master

@ndanzinger It might be a good idea to migrate your mother away from Shaw email to gmail. It is not a great idea to stay with an ISP’s email. 

Jump to solution

I've already done that. She has a gmail that I've encoura...

ndanzinger
Grasshopper

I've already done that. She has a gmail that I've encouraged her to use, but she's old and all her boomer friends are accustomed to emailing her shaw address. The best fix would be for Shaw to take a 0.1% hit on their profit margins and give customers 10GB. 

Jump to solution

I hear ya, I am tech support for everyone in the family. 😀

rstra
Grand Master

@ndanzinger I hear ya, I am tech support for everyone in the family. 😀

Jump to solution

--  all her boomer friends are accustomed to emailing her...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ndanzinger --  all her boomer friends are accustomed to emailing her Shaw ID.

The best fix would be to define E-mail forwarding from her Shaw E-mail ID to her GMail ID.

Then, on GMail, "import" all her current Shaw messages.

QED

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

You are indeed the "Grandmaster", thank you for the advic...

JGNicol
Grasshopper

You are indeed the "Grandmaster", thank you for the advice. Sick of these quota warnings. JGN

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Due to Shaw's insane, chintzy limits on storage (despite...

Oreo3
Grasshopper

Due to Shaw's insane, chintzy limits on storage (despite paying them $300/mo for internet & tv), we have used POP instead of IMAP (so all email automatically deleted from Shaw server as soon as downloaded to laptop).  But Shaw no longer supports POP unless you are on a Shaw modem.  So when we visit children/grandkids (on Telus), no way to send email without switching to IMAP.  And then we hit the storage limits every month or 2.  Massive nuisance.  Would prefer at our ages not to change email addresses, but no choice.  Switching to Telus as ISP & Gmail

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Shaw no longer supports POP unless you are on a Shaw m...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Oreo3 -- Shaw no longer supports POP unless you are on a Shaw modem. 

I disagree.

You should have no problem downloading your E-mail from Shaw's POP-server, no matter what Internet connection you have.

When your computer is not connected to Shaw's network, you can configure your E-mail client to authenticate to Shaw's mail-server, with your E-mail ID/password, to allow you to send through Shaw's mail-server.

Or, you can use Shaw WebMail to compose & send messages, and then POP your incoming messages in the usual way.

> when we visit children/grandkids (on Telus), no way to send email without switching to IMAP. 

Easy. Reconfigure your E-mail program to set the outgoing mail-server as "smtp.telus.net". Since your computer is now connected to TELUS, you are authorized to send E-mail through that server. You can still receive E-mail, as per usual.

> we hit the storage limits every month or 2. 

Not when using POP.

When using IMAP, delete some messages from your "Sent Items" folder, and then delete everything from your "Trash" folder.

> Would prefer at our ages not to change email addresses, but no choice. 

You have a choice of creating a GMAIL ID, with 10 (15?) times as much storage, and configuring your Shaw E-mail ID to automatically "forward" every incoming message to your GMAIL ID.

> Switching to Telus as ISP & Gmail

Note that TELUS has recently "outsourced" all its E-mail back-end to Alphabet/Google. So, on TELUS, you must logon to GMAIL, citing "this-is-my-Telus-E-mail-ID@telus.net" as the ID, and giving the password for that ID.

Just be aware that Shaw has "cancellation fees" if you terminate a "two-year Value Plan" before it expires. However, TELUS has been known to give $200 in "Telus credit", to ease the pain of paying that fee to Shaw.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks Grand Master Shaw webmail does not work for us as...

Oreo3
Grasshopper

Thanks Grand Master

Shaw webmail does not work for us as we need all the folders, calendars & other things in Thunderbird, with years of history

Agree that POP downloads fine even when not on Shaw.  But Outgoing server mail.shaw.ca will not authenticate using POP with Shaw email ID/PW, when not on Shaw network.  After a long hold, Shaw Support person told me (rudely) they do not support Thunderbird, Outlook, etc.  My only choices were to use Webmail or IMAP.  (Tried every possible combination of port, security, etc over several hours.)

Your idea of trying Telus as outgoing server is good.  Will try that 

Still don't understand why Shaw can't simply provide extra storage like everyone else in the market - even if it costs a few $ a month extra like Apple.  Stunningly cheap & arrogant IMHO

Key lesson is never to use an ISP's email - Shaw, Telus or other.  Sadly we did not understand that 20 years ago.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

This problem has been going on for years it would seem. I...

CaptBilly
Grasshopper

This problem has been going on for years it would seem.

I thought I was using a mail client that downloaded messages onto my computer - where I am only limited by the size of my local storage capacity.

It would seem like it is a two way street.  I download the messages from webmail but my local messages are also uploaded on webmail - where I will quickly run up against the quota limit.

This has the eventual effect of reducing the size of my local folders!

So NOT Solved for me

Jump to solution

Yeah, this is 2022, 1GB is NOTHING in today's world and S...

JohnDavidHoward
Grasshopper

Yeah, this is 2022, 1GB is NOTHING in today's world and Shaw really MUST add a zero to their capacity limits and make it 10GB. I'm nagged weekly by Shaw I'm at my limit.

Over 10 years ago, I felt more "secure" using my provider (shaw) email for anything WORK related, but it's come back to bite me with these incredible meagre (by today's standards) storage limitations, while Gmail, Yahoo etc have exponentially expanded with the times to offer MORE space (for free) I now find myself in the predicament of having to perhaps move my work email and migrate over more than a decade worth of clients to say a Gmail instead to keep up. 

It's not a good move by Shaw because there's a value in them having people rely on them with their email service. If I move my work email and the only thing keeping me with shaw is the slight inconvenience of calling Novus, Telus or Rogers for just internet service. Their rates are very competitive and you always get a first-year promotion. Being tied to Shaw email has been the thing that's just made me not bother. That's about to change being forced off it because it's stuck in the year 2005. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help