I dont know whats going on with my connection but my BC m...

JcKobeLiam
Grasshopper

@mdk I dont know whats going on with my connection but my BC modem is acting up and I know for sure that something is wrong. I have my laptop in a wired connection TO BC and run a speed test and results is 1.5Mbps. Tried wireless connection and run speed test result is under 1Mbps.

Connect my network switch to BC modem and from switch I wired my laptop and run speed test and only got under 1Mbps. 

I have a tech coming in tomorrow and hopefully he can fix whatever going on with my connection. 🙄

0 Kudos

-- I have a tech coming in tomorrow, and hopefully he/she...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@JcKobeLiam -- I have a tech coming in tomorrow, and hopefully he/she/they can fix 

Good. You have done all you can, short of connecting a different computer and a different Ethernet cable to your BlueCurve, and checking for birds/squirrels biting into the coaxial-cable between your home and the nearest telephone-pole, and for tree branches leaning against that coaxial-cable.

Note that any Shaw Agent can remotely logon to your BlueCurve, to view the "signal-strength" reaching it. Bad signal-strength is problematic. You could try contacting them, today, to ask that it be done. It could give some relevant information for tomorrow.

0 Kudos

I am having a couple of similar problem with a switch tha...

PerryZ
Grasshopper

I am having a couple of similar problem with a switch that has been very frustrating and I am not getting any support from Tech Support.  I just switched to Shaw from a different provider a month ago.   My Nest cameras worked fine with my previous provided.  With Shaw, I cannot get them to connect to the wifi.  Yes, we have switched the modem to separate the 5.0 and 2.4  and still don't work.  I have confirmed the cameras are still fine by hooking them up to my phone hotspot.  They will not work with Shaw. Tech Support tells me to contact Nest, but I have ruled out an issue with the Nest Camera.  As well, we have had issues with random, extremely slow speeds on the wifi (40-50 Mb).  To get around the slow wifi speeds that we have experienced, I want to hard wire some devices through ethernet cables.   I have a 1GB switch attached to the modem  and hard wired ethernet to various rooms in the house. Any device connected to the switch cannot get over 100 Mb speed.  Tech Support came to my house and suggested that the problem was with the switch even though it is brand new.  I took the switch to another house and connected the same devices to it and have no problem getting over 100 Mb there.  I have used the same cables at both locations, so I have confirmed the issue is not with the computer, the cables, or the switch.  Shaw tech support is telling me these are 3rd party devices so can't help me.  They are suggesting  I have to buy their wifi pods and then hard connect the devices to the pod.   That means I am still relying on the wifi signal which is what I was trying to avoid doing.  Of course, the pods have to be purchased or rented as well. Has anyone had anything similar and did you resolve it?  

0 Kudos

-- Any device connected to the switch cannot get over 100...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@PerryZ -- Any device connected to the switch cannot get over 100 Mb speed.

Tech Support came to my house and suggested that the problem was with the brand-new switch 

A few thoughts:

1. if the Ethernet cable between your switch & the Shaw cable-modem is "CAT 5", not "CAT 5e" nor "CAT 6", that segment will be limited to 100 Mbps.
  2. Throw away all your "CAT 5" cables, or use them to bind a tomato (or personal marijuana)  plant to a vertical support stick. 🙂
  3. Did you purchase a 10/100/1000 switch or just a 10/100 switch? Manufacturer? Model ID? Verified?
  4. If it is a 10/100/1000 switch, is it possible that some ports on the switch are only 10/100 ?
  5. What speed do you get when you make an Ethernet connection from your laptop directly to the cable-modem? 
  6. What speed do you get when you make a WiFi connection from your laptop to the cable-modem's WiFi?
0 Kudos

Thank you mdk.    I am dumbfounded.   I have done a coupl...

PerryZ
Grasshopper

Thank you mdk. 

I am dumbfounded.   I have done a couple more tests.

a) my cable is CAT 5e.

Connecting from the modem directly to my computer - great speed

Connecting from the modem to my switch (using a cable I have)  and then to my computer - great speed.

Connecting from the modem directly to my computer using the Cat 5e in my walls - great speed. (I connected my computer directly in the utility room.

Connecting from the modem to my computer using the Cat 5e in my walls to my switch  then to my computer - cannot get over 100 Mb.  

If it was a problem with the Cat 5e in my walls, then I would  expect to have issues when I do that direct connection to my computer - but that speed is great.

0 Kudos

--  Connecting from the modem directly to my computer usi...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@PerryZ --  Connecting from the modem directly to my computer using the Cat 5e in my walls - great speed. (I connected my computer directly in the utility room.

Good. It shows that your computer's network adapter can do 10/100/1000, and that the Ethernet cable between the wall-socket and your computer can do 10/100/1000.

Connecting from the modem to my computer using the Cat 5e in my walls to my switch then to my computer - cannot get over 100 Mb.

Shaw might be correct, when stating that your switch is not cable of Gigabit speeds.  What manufacturer? What model-number? Can you do a Google-search to find the specifications for the switch, to confirm that it is capable?  

Do the lamps on each port on the switch indicate the connection-speed, e.g., green for 100 Mbps, and showing/adding orange for 1000 Mbps?

I presume that you have a CAT-5e cable between your switch and your computer.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help