Jump to solution

Thanks, it never occurred to me that the connection could...

rstra
Grand Master

@taylor192  Thanks, it never occurred to me that the connection could be used for both. I have been planning on setting up a moca, just haven’t gotten around to it yet, but I will be sure to give this a try. Did you also put a filter on the line in from the street? 

The XG1 can’t have moca off, even when it is in stand-alone. If you have any other non moca equipment (phone modem, other legacy box), it is a good idea to filter them out as well. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have 2 MoCA filters installed:  Where the cable enters...

taylor192
Grasshopper

@rstra I have 2 MoCA filters installed: 

1. Where the cable enters the unit in my condo building. This is to isolate my unit from the rest of the condo building. There is a panel that a Shaw technician opened and installed a MoCA filter at my request. 
  2. Where the cable attaches to the XG1-A STB. 

Thankfully I have no other Shaw equipment, so my MoCA network XB7<->GoCoax is good to go!

Jump to solution

So it’s been a while! My setup has recently changed and t...

ColtonW24
Grasshopper

So it’s been a while! My setup has recently changed and thought I should provide an update. A few months ago, I renewed my value plan. I used the opportunity to upgrade my BlueCurve TV boxes from the older Gen-1 wired units to the newer wireless units. I also got my XB6 modem upgraded to the XB7.

So now that my TV Boxes are wireless, this has freed up a coaxial output where my old BlueCurve PVR was. So the other day, I have moved my XB7 modem there. I have ordered the MoCA Adapter again, and will see if that will work now with the new modem placement in the coax tree.

For context: My modem was previously setup in the utility area near where the main coax line comes in from the outside. There is likely a splitter that splits the connection to the utility area and the rest of the coax tree in my house. I previously tried a MoCA adapter with no success, as there seems to be a MoCA filter that prevented the modems MoCA network from getting through to the rest of the coax tree. With the new placement, the modem is beyond that first MoCA filter. So it should now work (in theory).

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Got the MoCA adapter today! I enabled MoCA on the XB7 mod...

ColtonW24
Grasshopper

Got the MoCA adapter today! I enabled MoCA on the XB7 modem, connected the MoCA adapter in another room, and it works very well! I'm getting 800mbps download when running a speedtest (I'm on the Fibre+ Gig plan), which is 150-200mbps faster than I would get over Wi-Fi 6. So I'm very satisfied with the results!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- [800 mbps] ... which is 150-200 mbps faster than I wou...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ColtonW24 -- [800 mbps] ... which is 150-200 mbps faster than I would get over Wi-Fi 6. 

How fast is the WiFi adapter on your computer?  If it is not "WiFi 6", then your speed will be much less than what WiFi 6 is capable of delivering. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

It’s actually a Wi-Fi 6E PCIe card. The average speed I g...

ColtonW24
Grasshopper

@mdk It’s actually a Wi-Fi 6E PCIe card. The average speed I got with that was 400mbps, but it’s gotten as fast as 625mbps. I also have an iPhone 14 which supports Wi-Fi 6, but it tends to average 400-500mbps. The fastest speed for my phone was around 750mbps, but it’s rare that happens.

I’ve since connected the MoCA adapter to a switch, so that I can connect multiple devices to it (Desktop, Xbox Series S, and Nintendo Switch dock). The Xbox only supports Wi-Fi 5, so it averaged 250mbps over Wi-Fi. I ran a speedtest with it connected to the MoCA adapter, and it got 900mbps download!

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help