Jump to solution

I am having the same issue and have been going insane try...

Squall234
Grasshopper

I am having the same issue and have been going insane trying to make this work.
I have a post on Reddit but to explain, this is what I've been doing;

--------

So this is the current equipment I have for this project;

1x Shaw Gateway 2.0 Modem

2x Translite MoCA 2.5 Coax Adapters

1x 2-Way Digital Splitter MoCA 2.0 (1675 MHz Performance)

First steps I did were the following to make this work, as instructed by the manual;

1. Connect the MoCA adapter directly from the wall using a coax cable, into the MOCA port.

2. Connect the Gateway Modem to the MoCA adapter through the "Out" port using another coax cable.

3. Turn on the MoCA adapter. Following these steps, my modem has internet and all seems to be good, except my MoCA light on the device isn't on , indicating no signal.

4. Go to the admin portal by Shaw and turn on MoCA. Wait for the changes to be set.

5. Plug an ethernet cable from the moCA to the modem, I used LAN 1 which is 1 Gigabyte.

6. Take the other adapter, in a different room and plug it in through the coax port, through the moCA port.

7. Plug another Ethernet port to the moCA through the same channel as the other, this being LAN 1 and into the computer.

However, when I follow these steps, after the moCA is enabled through Shaw, it completely shuts down my entire network and I have to reset the modem to get my internet back. In doing so also disables my moCA, which means my moCA than being bricked.

I tried a splitter, to see if I could route the moCA without the modem being connected to the moCA, which was discussed, but no dice. I talked with Shaw support and they basically said that we never supported moCA, even though it was programmed in the first place to work.

I'm serious losing my patience as I spent money on first internet and this device and if I can't get this to work, I'm out of options. Why Shaw would disallow a basic feature like this is baffling, unless I'm doing something incredibly wrong.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Assuming you have the XB7 modem. The only thing plugged i...

rstra
Grand Master

@Squall234 

Assuming you have the XB7 modem. The only thing plugged in the the coax connection of the modem is the Shaw line from the street.   Turn moca off in the admin settings for the modem, the modem is not part of the moca network you are trying to create. 

I am not familiar with Translite, but you should connect an Ethernet cable from the XB7 to the moca adapter and then a coax line from the adapter to the coax that goes to the location of the other adapter.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thank you for the comment but this is getting so confused...

Squall234
Grasshopper

Thank you for the comment but this is getting so confused, I thought I had to follow this pattern and it will work but no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWWPoIfRTsY

Or am I missing anything? Doesn't the first adapter needs to be plugged into the wall as well, so a splitter is needed?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

If you had more than two adapters, a splitter would be ne...

rstra
Grand Master

@Squall234 

If you had more than two adapters, a splitter would be needed. It should just work with the two adapters connected by their own coax, with one adapter connected to the modem via Ethernet. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Your set up is the same as mine but mine works perfectly....

boons
Grasshopper

Your set up is the same as mine but mine works perfectly. However, you should turn the Modem MOCA off which is what I did on mine.

Hope this help.

Jump to solution

Tip: Remove your STB from the MoCA network if you're hav...

taylor192
Grasshopper
Tip:
  • Remove your STB from the MoCA network if you're having DHCP issues. 
Background: 
  • I was having issues with devices being assigned 192.168.0.x IPs after enabling MoCA on my XB7 (Fibre+) modem/router. 
  • The XB7 is the default gateway (10.0.0.1) and DHCP server (10.0.0.2->) so all devices should get 10.0.0.x IPs. 

Problem:

• Determined the Arris XG1-A STB is also a router and DHCP server.
  • The XB7 and XG1-A were causing devices to receive a mix of 10.0.0.x and 192.168.0.x IPs. 
  • Devices that received the 192.168.0.x IPs could not access the internet via the 10.0.0.1 gateway.

Solution:

• Add a MoCA filter at the coax connection to the STB to remove it from the MoCA network. 
    • Could not find a setting to disable the router/DHCP in the Arris XG1-A STB.
  • Reboot the XB7 to reassign IPs.  
My MoCA home network:
  • XB7 modem/router/wifi: Gateway 10.0.0.1, DHCP 10.0.0.2-250
  • GoCoax MA2500D: Static IP 10.0.0.253
  • (filtered out) Arris XG1-A set top box (STB): Gateway 192.168.0.1, DHCP 192.168.0.2-xxx

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

You can turn off moca on the xb7

rstra
Grand Master

@taylor192   You can turn off moca on the xb7

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I want MoCA on the XB7 to form a network from the XB7 to...

taylor192
Grasshopper

@rstra I want MoCA on the XB7 to form a network from the XB7 to the GoCoax adapter in another room. Cheaper than using 2 GoCoax adapters like many in this thread have done. 

I want to disable MoCA on the XG1-A set top box, or at least disable the XG1-A DHCP server to stop conflicts with the XB7 DHCP server. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

XB7 doesn’t have a coax connection other than the cable i...

rstra
Grand Master

@taylor192   XB7 doesn’t have a coax connection other than the cable in from feeding the Shaw signal. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Correct. The XB7 has a single coax connection, which serv...

taylor192
Grasshopper

Correct. The XB7 has a single coax connection, which serves double duty as the modem for Internet connection and MoCA local network.

If you can help disable MoCA or DHCP on the STB that would be great. Otherwise I have this configuration working and am posting to help others have have tried connecting the XB6 or XB7 to a single MoCA adapter and had networking issues. The STB was the source of my issues, as the STB joins the MoCA network too (also with a single coax connection).

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help