How does one disable the band steering? Will it require a...

T12
Grasshopper

How does one disable the band steering? Will it require all devices having to be re-connected? 

0 Kudos

Hello,    This seems quite frustrating since other google...

T12
Grasshopper

Hello, 

This seems quite frustrating since other google devices are connected without issue. 

I am using the standard issued XB7 modem/router combo from Shaw. It is not bridged as of yet, but it seems like I'm going to have to go buy another router and bridge this modem.. 

0 Kudos

You will need to use your blue curve app.  Go to see netw...

Kenlinda2728
Grasshopper

You will need to use your blue curve app.  Go to see network details and advanced settings, then there will 2.4/5gb wifi and you be able to assign the band steering.  You won’t need to reconnect all your devices.  You’re just telling the devices to not connect to 5gb.  

0 Kudos

The issue I was having was my chrome cast was connecting...

Kenlinda2728
Grasshopper

The issue I was having was my chrome cast was connecting on and then it will disconnect after a few mins and then you can’t find the chrome cast.  But I also have google wifi router connected to the blue curve not realizing the blue curve was also acting as a router.  So the chrome cast kept on switching between the two routers therefore my chrome cast was intermittent.  I logged into 10.0.0.1 on the browser and disabled the router on my blue curve and now it’s working and not disconnecting.  

0 Kudos

As   mentioned, to disable band steering is to separate t...

shaw-ada

@T12 As @Kenlinda2728  mentioned, to disable band steering is to separate the names for your wifi network names so you will see 2 wifi networks (SampleWifi and SampleWifi-5G). You can use the current name that you have and add '-5G' at the end of the 5G network. Here's the guide on How to change wifi network names

I have contacted Shaw today about it as well…. They sent...

Makspower
Grasshopper

I have contacted Shaw today about it as well…. They sent me a newest of the new router which supports 1000 mbps …. I stalled it…. Worked on smart Sony tv and iphone and whatnot… but NOT on chromecast….. do not know the exact model of it as it is a super small print … but the internet texh in Shaw KNOWS ABOUT THE ISSUE…. So… do not send your older shaw router back just yet 

0 Kudos

-- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum. It is n...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Makspower -- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum. It is not a path to Shaw Support.

Please read the previous posts to this thread, about how to "split" the 2.4 Ghz and the 5 GHz networks that the cable-modem provides, into two WiFi networks, and connect your ChromeCast to the 2.4 Ghz network. All your other devices can stay on the 5 Ghz network.

0 Kudos

I'm gonna revive this thread   Posted as another stand al...

Carl76
Grasshopper

I'm gonna revive this thread

Posted as another stand alone thread as well.

Same issue for me.  Had a Hitron modem.  No problems.

Using the curve modem for a day.  I'm connected and the Chromecast devices that are plugged in to the TV are connected too, but when I open a Chrome browser on my laptop and press the 3 dot button (settings) and select "cast" is still says "No devices found" whereas before, it would bring up the device name as set by me during installation.

Bands are split separately to trouble shoot, but my Chromecast devices V2 (2016) supports 5g anyway.

Checked firewall settings

Restarted all devices

Reinstalled chromecast devices

Chatted with Shaw help (they said phone google)

read every post I could about this

Why are there still "no devices found" when trying to cast a google chrome tab from my lapttop to my chromecast device?  Any ideas would be appreciated! 

Thanks! 

0 Kudos

-- when you had the Hitron, its DHCP-server was handing-o...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Carl76 -- when you had the Hitron, its DHCP-server was handing-out IP-addresses like "192.168.xxx.yyy". Now that you have the BlueCurve, its DHCP-server is handing-out IP-addresses like "10.0.0.zzz".  If your ChromeCast has not been reconfigured away from the "192.168" network, it will be "unreachable" -- no devices found on the "10.0.0" local area network.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help