Or some other hacker. How would we know.

Tkuypers
Grasshopper

Or some other hacker. How would we know. 

0 Kudos

I cant help but think there is something in your setup to...

rickatk
Master

I cant help but think there is something in your setup to cause the cable modem / router to work overtime. Have you tried a factory reset, checked for loose connections, ensure the modem is placed out in the open clear of obstruction? Something is causing the modem to continuously run and try to cool itself. I have had a few generations of the Shaw modems, including XB6 and 7 all have been quiet.

0 Kudos

the replacement is quiet and the issue is resolved.

burbleboatmen
Grasshopper

the replacement is quiet and the issue is resolved.

My modem never used to be this extremely NOISY and/or HOT...

kaycee01p
Grasshopper

My modem never used to be this extremely NOISY and/or HOT, but over the past 1.5 years it's been getting worse and worse and to the point that I've gone from Volume 3 to Volume 8 and sometimes having to put the Volume up and over 10 because the Modem gets sooo LOUD that it sounds like a Jet, and putting my Volume up and over 10 is Ridiculously Loud, especially to the people living above me!!

In all honesty, besides this Loud Modem issue, I've had Nothing but PROBLEMS with Shaw for the past 5++ years and I'm just over it now!

Due to my employment, I watch TV all night long and I'm constantly having to Restart or Reboot Everything and it's now become a real pain in the butt because I'm always having to Get Out of my comfy Bed to Restart and Reboot Everything, and today, I'm finally just tired of it all... So, just a short time ago I've finally been in talks with another provider and I'm Not going to back down and allow shaw to talk me out of switching or let shaw talk me into another contract! Enough is enough and 9 years of constant issues has been plenty!

Shaw promised me 3+ years ago that if anymore problems I could get Out of my contract! Sadly, I allowed shaw to talk me into another contract because they promised me that by upgrading to their so called new system that my problems would End, but the problems Didn't End and I'm now beyond Fed Up due to NOT getting the Services that I was Promised and/or Guaranteed, which now has become IMPLIED WARRANTY!!

When signing up with Shaw I was NOT told in their contract that I'd have a Ton of Issues or that I'd have to be Calling Into Shaw Several Times a Month and WAIT on HOLD sometimes for well Over 2 Hours trying to get a Customer Service Representative to Fix the Issues, issues which sometimes had taken over an Hour by time they had me go thru All the Steps that they know of to Try and Fix the Problem, or was I NOT told that I'd be having to Get Up and Out of my Comfy Bed Several times a night throughout each week to Restart and Reboot my system, which involves having to UNPLUG EVERYTHING in my Bedroom and Unplug Everything in my Living Room and then WAIT Several Minutes, then Plug Everything Back In and Wait again for Several More Minutes while Everything attempts to Start Back Up, all the while hoping that THIS TIME will be the FIX, only to be let down within a very SHORT time span to see that ALL the Issues Have NOT been FIXED!!

And I'm also Wasting Storage Space on my Mobile Phone because I'm constantly taking pictures of ALL the ERROR CODES that flash across my TV Screen or I'm taking Videos to show what's going on, and I'm finally just so sick of all this HASSLE!

Issues and Hassles that I was NOT Warned  about at the time of signing up and/or getting talked into another Shaw Contract, a Contract that does NOT Mention that there will be Some or All OF THE ABOVE ISSUES that will happen in the Future, be it Near or Far!

I'm a Senior, working extremely hard for my $$$ and I've been Paying Big Bucks, almost $200/Month for Services NOT Rendered (Services that I have NOT been getting), therefore it's a Huge BREACH of Contract on Shaw's end due to the IMPLIED WARRANTY!!
And it's high time to finally Get Out of my Contract and as Far Away from shaw as I possibly can, because it's just Not worth the Headaches and Stress, nor has it been worth All the Extra curricular activity of Getting Up and Out of Bed Several times a Month!

I still have 5+ Months left in this last contract, but after speaking with my Legal Team, IMPLIED WARRANTY Allows me to Get Out of the Contract!

So, I bid you farewell Shaw and hope that 1 day really Soon that you Fix all of the issues that I and the rest of your customers are having and have been having for Decades, because I'm sure had anyone known there'd be sooo many issues, they probably wouldn't have signed on with you...

Ciao for now,
KP

0 Kudos

-- I'm always having to Get Out of my comfy Bed to Restar...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@kaycee01p -- I'm always having to Get Out of my comfy Bed to Restart and Reboot Everything

Sounds like you need one of those "clap-on-clap-off" devices, to power-off & power-on the cable-modem. Your computer should not need to be restarted -- it will notice the outage in connectivity, and will reset its network connection.

So, just a short time ago I've finally been in talks with another provider

Several times, a TELUS sales-person has offered to "buy-me-out" of my Shaw contract, if I switched to TELUS.  Shaw's penalty for terminating is only $20 per remaining month in your contract -- much less than continuing to pay $100 to $200 per month for their ongoing (inadequate?) service.  The TELUS promise is $20 per month in "TELUS credit" against your future TELUS invoices.  So, ask TELUS about this offer.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the Telus tip! I was wondering if companies st...

kaycee01p
Grasshopper

Thanks for the Telus tip! I was wondering if companies still Buy Out the opposing other, in order to gain a customer! It's Good to know that they still do so. Mind you, several decades ago they'd actually pay in the $200-$300 price point and sometimes a bit more. Obviously it's not like that any longer, but still good to know that they will help out somewhat.

And as far as my Bedroom Box and the Main System go, it will only allow me one Full Reboot in a 24 hour period, or maybe it's 48 hours! And this is either by Clicking on System Refresh or by having to UNPLUG All systems, including Unscrewing the actual White Cable from the Box in which I have to Wait a Bit before Plugging everything back in, and then Wait again for the System to Reboot/Refresh and Start back up, because if I attempt to Reboot it again too soon it'll flash a message on the screen saying that it's too soon and that I've already Rebooted and to Call Shaw now to Fix the issues. 

But as far as a simple Restart, it'll allow me to Restart a few or more times throughout a 24 hour period...

Some of my issues include Total Freezing of Everything, be it a PVR program or a live TV show that gets Frozen on the screen or when I've gone into Guide inspite of New Batteries in the Remote, all of a sudden the Guide is Frozen on the Screen, yet I'm able to hear what's happening with the Show that was on.

And my biggest issue is when using the Remote to access my PVR shows, it can take over 2 minutes just for 1 simple Remote Action, like getting it to Scroll Over from Guide to Saved, and once the cursor gets on Saved, it can take up to another 2 minutes to Bring Up my PVR shows for the day!           Those 3 White Dots just keep Flashing Across the Screen while the System is trying to Think or Figure out what the heck to do next! 

And when it starts to Act super SLOW like this, that's when I will first attempt a simple Restart.  And if that doesn't Fix these super Slow issues, then I will First do a System Refresh via the Remote Onscreen. And IF after the 15 or 20 minutes that it takes to do the System Refresh that it hasn't Helped, that's when I have to Get Up and Out of my Bed and UNPLUG Everything in both rooms (Bedroom & Living Room) for a complete System Reboot...

And..... IF that still Doesn't Fix the issues, then I call into Shaw and listen to their bs voice message spiel where they try to Send everyone Online to Fix their issues, rather than Shaw putting some of that Hard Earned Money they make off of us ALL and actually perform some Real "Human to Human" Customer Service in a decent and Timely Manner!!

I'm so sick of waiting well Over an Hour at 1am or 2am etc all because their Voice System LIES to Us and says that they are Extremely Busy with Other Customers when this is the Wee Hours of the Morning??? Who, besides myself, is calling Shaw during the Wee Hours of the Morning??? I'm quite certain that there's NOT alot of customers calling during those hours, thus why I stated that their voice system is LYING to us!! 

It's just sheer LAZINESS nowadays where If a customer service representative has to do any more Physical Activity other than Use their FINGER to Push a Computer Button to try and help, you just won't get Good Customer Service because it's waaay too hard for them to get out of their cushy chair to maybe grab a Book or a Manual and Physically LOOK UP whatever the issue is in order to Help Resolve the problem...

Anyway, that's the majority of my Shaw Cable Issues. I can't even begin to count the photos as to how many ERROR CODES I've received and have taken a picture of, just so that I can tell the CS rep which Error Codes I'm getting!

But this is Why I am fed up with Shaw's unreliable system and why I am sick of Paying for Services that I'm sooo NOT receiving and thus Why I finally need to Switch providers now for reasons being the Implied Warranty!

Thanks again for the Tip! I will call Telus shortly...

Book a service call.

rstra
Grand Master

@kaycee01p Book a service call. 

0 Kudos

Shaw told me that their 300 speed is now “legacy” and pha...

jesicarson
Grasshopper

Shaw told me that their 300 speed is now “legacy” and phasing out, so I had to switch to 500, with this horrible noisy machine. 

0 Kudos

-- Shaw told me that their 300 speed is now “legacy” and...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@jesicarson --  Shaw told me that their 300 speed is now “legacy” and phasing out,

Sigh. Shaw's web-site still offers: Fibre+ 10 at $50/month and Fibre+ 25 at $80/month and Fibre+ 75 at $85/month and Fibre+ 150 at $95/month and Fibre+ 300 at $99/month. 

Shaw's "legacy" HITRON modem is limited to 300 Mbps, while your noisy XB6 is capable of much-higher speeds.

> I had to switch to 500, with this horrible noisy machine.

You could try, and I emphasize try, to get Shaw to give you a different XB6 modem. But, that is time-consuming & maybe not helpful.

Instead, demand Shaw to supply you with the XB7 modem -- my XB7 is completely silent.

Note that "new" customers of Shaw Internet get the "Advanced WiFi modem" for speeds up to 150 Mbps, while "new" customers of Shaw Internet get the "Fibre+ Gateway 2.0" modem for speeds of 300 Mbps (and higher).  It seems that current customers need to ask for the XB7 modem, when renewing an expiring Value Plan.

THANK YOU for this intel! I just spoke with Shaw and they...

jesicarson
Grasshopper

THANK YOU for this intel! I just spoke with Shaw and they are shipping me an XB8 (latest model, just came out) with no extra charge or anything. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help