still poor speed

Freezns
Grasshopper

Tony - I finally had chance to do a full check. Connected directly to modem with nothing else plugged in. Same result: download speed of 16.6. I do have one switch between the turtle and the modem. But don't think that should drop it that much. Should I be contacting Shaw support directly?

Dwayne

0 Kudos

I would recommend getting in touch with our technical sup...

shaw-valerie

@Freezns I would recommend getting in touch with our technical support team here, so that they can take a look at the signal issue that Tony had mentioned previously in this thread and get a service appointment set up if needed to resolve that. 

0 Kudos

Does the line from the modem to the blue curve use an eth...

ChipmunkChill
Grasshopper

Does the line from the modem to the blue curve use an ethernet cable?  If so make sure it is a cat6 as cat5e/5 has about half the performance.  I don't own blue curve to know the setup anymore as my apartment is too small for it to be useful.  But a lot of speed problems people mention for internet seem to be cable related though blue curve is of course wifi but if a line into a blue curve uses a rj45 connector the type of cat cable is important.  The difference between cables is such as regular hdmi vs hdmi 4k/6k which use gold plating.  They do higher speeds and handle heat different.

0 Kudos

I'm at 3.3mps with blue300. I'm going back to Telus as th...

Stew985
Grasshopper

I'm at 3.3mps with blue300. I'm going back to Telus as they just installed fiber into my unit.

0 Kudos

oh no! That is slower than expected :(. What troubleshoot...

shaw-tony

@Stew985 oh no! That is slower than expected :(. What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

0 Kudos

Called tech support a couple times and they reset my box....

Stew985
Grasshopper

Called tech support a couple times and they reset my box. But I don't think this is just issue with my system. I have checked it many times and it's consistently slow. At my business we range from 3-6 Mbs. Also my inlaws place isn't fast either and my brother left due to slow speeds. So that's four different lines in four different areas that are all slow.

I could be wrong but I think Shaw's system isn't able to handle the current load. 

the signal to your modem looks solid with no errors to re...

shaw-tony

@Stew985 the signal to your modem looks solid with no errors to report. Are you noticing slow speeds only over WiFi or are direct ethernet connection to a desktop slow as well? Are you using https://speedtest.shaw.ca/ to run a speed test?

0 Kudos

Just got 600 today. Went downstairs to hook up the TV to...

oilman
Grasshopper

Just got 600 today. Went downstairs to hook up the TV to my new Blue Curve. Hook it up and get a warning that signal strength is weak.

Used to use Roku down there and didnt have issues like this. Wait for an hour to talk to a tech. Walls in my house are the problem she says, get some pods for $10 a month. Are you kidding me?? Shaw has ripped me off for years and I finally get a good deal from them only to hear I have to fork out more money.

I should have gone with Telus with fibre optic

0 Kudos

> Went downstairs to hook up the TV to my new Blue Curve....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Went downstairs to hook up the TV to my new Blue Curve. Hook it up and get a warning that signal strength is weak.

Is the TV directly one floor "under" the BlueCurve, or is it at the other end of downstairs?  Adding a pod directly "under" the BlueCurve (or just "half-way" between the BlueCurve and the TV) should help the WiFi signal penetrate your walls and the floor under the BlueCurve.

Is your TV connecting on the 2.4 Ghz or the 5 Ghz wireless bands?  Try the other band.

> I should have gone with Telus with fibre optic.

Note that the Telus TV remote pods (to put an additional TV into a different room) also use WiFi, with its limitations of penetrating through your walls and floor.

Also, due to COVID-19 pandemic, it could be a long time before Telus allows their technician to enter your house, to do any wiring.

Power-off the BlueCurve modem, wait a few seconds, power it on, and wait for it to completely reboot.  Then, on your computer, within "Device Manager", check that your computer's network-adapter is labelled as "Gigabit" or "10/100/1000".  If it just is a 10/100 adapter, your computer will only receive at 100 Megabits/second. Repeat the Shaw SpeedTest

Similarly, a WiFi adapter may be the "bottle-neck" -- the "Wireless G" protocol has a maximum of 54 Mbits/second. In contrast, the newest 802.11ac protocol offers backward compatibility to 802.11b/g/n and bandwidth rated up to 1300 Mbps on the 5 GHz band plus up to 450 Mbps on 2.4 GHz.

Note that "CAT-5" Ethernet cables are only certified to 100 Megabits/second, whereas a "CAT-5e" cable is certified to TEN times that speed. and a "CAT-6" is even faster.

So, if you have "Internet 300" or "Internet 600", all your Ethernet cables must be "CAT-5e" or "CAT-6" -- check the labelling printed on the length of the cable, looking for "CAT 5e" or "CATEGORY5e" or "CATEGORY 5e" or "CAT-6".  Responsibly recycle any "CAT-5" cables, or use them to tie-up stakes to tomato plants as they grow upward.

0 Kudos

Last fall I re-signed and shaved off $50.00 / month only...

rickatk
Master

Last fall I re-signed and shaved off $50.00 / month only to see that gobbled up on a wireless TV player (4) upgrade plus a three pack of pods.  I accept the price of getting the latest and greatest. In my case I avoided drilling through the kitchen tiles.

If you need wireless tv boxes in the basement you will also need very good wifi reception. 

By comparison I found my present BlueCurve modem / router performs as well as my previous Apple supported and bridged setup.

My wireless tv boxes an pod/mesh system took a little effort and patience but it all works very well now.

Don't get caught up on the “fibre” marketing from TELUS. Shaw offers the same. The only difference is the conversion into the house, commonly referred to as “the last mile”. Docis 3.1 has a limitation of 10Gbps. A long way from 600 Mbps being offered right now.

A few suggestions:

Make sure your account is set to 600Mbps. This often gets over looked.

Make sure you are using a Technicolor modem/router. They work pretty good.

Try dual band first. If you are trying to set your gear to discrete, the 5GHz band may have trouble getting to the basement.

Get some pods. That may help. Non Shaw range extenders may not work with the wireless tv players.

Failing all of that consider hardwire solutions. WiFi can be fussy.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help