**bleep**. I really hoped there’d be something there. Shoot....

andsoitgoes
Grasshopper

**bleep**. I really hoped there’d be something there. Shoot. 

I’ve factory reset the ASUS modem more times than I can count to no avail.  The only time the ASUS modem works is when it’s cascading.

I honestly don’t know what else to do. It seems so straight forward. It just worked with the Archer, I am flummoxed as to why this isn’t working. 

0 Kudos

Oh for the packet information, I have that available but...

andsoitgoes
Grasshopper

Oh for the packet information, I have that available but I’m not sure what to look for or what might be needed.  They’re…. Big files and have a lot of sensitive info in them. Anything I can do there?

0 Kudos

Any other ideas?

andsoitgoes
Grasshopper

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos

Hi again mdk,    Sorry to keep bothering you but I'm stil...

andsoitgoes
Grasshopper

Hi again mdk, 

Sorry to keep bothering you but I'm still stuck in a no go zone with this, I haven't seen Shaw chime in and I don't know where else to turn. I even tried to clone the MAC address of the C2600 that was able to use while in bridged mode and I just get an error message saying DHCP error from ISP.

I'm at my wits end 😞

0 Kudos

-- at my wits end disconnect the Ethernet cable between...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@andsoitgoes -- at my wits end

1. disconnect the Ethernet cable between the Shaw cable-modem and the WAN port on your router
  2. power-off your router, typically by disconnecting the power-cord
  3. connect one computer to one of the LAN ports on your router
  4. if the computer is powered-on, do a normal "shutdown"
  5. power-on the Shaw cable-modem
  6. power-on that computer
  7. Does the computer obtain a "private" IP-address from your router? It should show "connected" and "no Internet access"
  8. Connect the Ethernet cable between the Shaw cable-modem and your router
  9. On your computer, it should show "connected" with Internet access
  10. On your computer, you should be able to access web-pages. Correct?

0 Kudos

similar issue here. Asus RT58U. When in bridge mode the r...

legi0n
Grasshopper

similar issue here.

Asus RT58U.

When in bridge mode the router complains the WAN DHCP doesn't work properly and the Asus won't get an IP

0 Kudos

-- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum, where v...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@legi0n -- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum, where volunteers try to help.

This forum is not a direct path to Rogers/Shaw Support [1-888-472-2222].

However, in your case, you probably are not going to get any help from them. They might say "out of scope", meaning that they have no training on how to help you.

When in bridge mode

In this mode, the cable-modem operates only as a "converter" -- converting the signals that go through the coaxial-cable to/from the Ethernet protocol that the WAN port on your personal router needs to see.

the router complains the WAN DHCP doesn't work properly and the Asus won't get an IP.

1. Power-off the cable-modem;
  2. Power-off your ASUS;
  3. Disconnect all "wired" (Ethernet cable) computers from your ASUS;
  4. Power-off any "wireless" computer/device that usually connects to your ASUS;
  5. Disconnect the Ethernet cable between a LAN port on the cable-modem from the WAN port on your ASUS;
  6. Power-on the cable-modem, and let it complete its "start-up", waiting for its lamps to reach a "steady" state;
  7. Power-on the ASUS, and let it complete its "start-up", waiting for its lamps to reach a "steady" state;
  8. Reconnect one "wired" computer to your ASUS, and shutdown/restart it. Check the "private" IP-addresses that the ASUS has assigned to this computer, namely "192.168.xxx.yyy" for the device and another "192.168.xxx.zzz" for the "gateway" of the ASUS;
  9. From that computer, logon to the internal web-server inside the ASUS. View the list of connected devices, namely "192.168.xxx.yyy". View the "public" IP-address that Shaw's DHCP-server (not the now-bypassed DHCP-server inside the "bridged" cable-modem) has provided to the ASUS router;
  10. Tell us if your computer is now capable of accessing the Internet;
  11. Tell us the IP-addresses that you have viewed, in the above steps.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos

2 days after spending 3 hours trying to have the bridge m...

legi0n
Grasshopper

2 days ago after spending 3 hours trying to have the bridge mode working I gave up.

yesterday, once I put the modem in bridge mode it all worked just fine instantly without restarting/unplugging anything!

something is not right!

but for the time being this is solved.

next would be getting rid of the high-power hidden SSIDs the modem maintains even in bridge mode.

0 Kudos

Hi, I've just started experiencing the apparently common...

brasha
Grasshopper

Hi,

I've just started experiencing the apparently common issue of my ASUS RT-AC68U router with WAN port connected to a Shaw XB6 modem that is in "Bridge Mode" no longer working (no Internet connection available for connected clients) . I've had this same setup for many years, with various Shaw Modem upgrades through the years.  It just began failing 3 days ago, for no reason I am aware of.  The ASUS router is reporting ISP DHCP issues but I believe the root problem is that the router is not receiving a public IP address from Shaw's DHCP server. I've been in contact with Shaw support and I know the 2 public IP addresses allocated to my account. One of these is "consumed" by the Shaw modem, presumably the other was the one linked to the MAC address of my router. I had asked Shaw support if I could be issued "replacement" IPs but the answer, from Shaw support, was No -they are static and bound to the MAC addresses of the Shaw Modem and my router. I'm guessing the network technical support group for Shaw would have a way to do this, but access to them and their services seems an impossibility so far.

I've tried many diagnostic steps involving powering on/off the Shaw modem, ASUS router, and a laptop computer used to Ethernet connect to these for configuration setting and viewing of network connections, etc.  The 11 steps you have documented differ in those I have used in that I did NOT do your step 3 (disconnect ALL wired Ethernet cables from the 4 LAN ports on my ASUS router).  I would like to try your suggested steps but have questions:

For step 8, is it the MS-DOS ipconfig command I can use to view this information?

For step 9, to see the public Shaw DHCP issued IP address in the ASUS web interface, would I not have to re-connect the Ethernet cable between the ASUS Wan port and a LAN port on the Shaw Modem (it was disconnected in step 5).

If things still fail, would you suggest configuring the ASUS WAN to use a static IP and type in the 2nd of the now known 2 public IP addresses issued to my account by Shaw?

Thanks for any help you can provide.  Please let me know if any additional information would be of assistance.

.. Brad

0 Kudos

-- after you configure the XB6 to enter "bridge mode", di...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@brasha -- after you configure the XB6 to enter "bridge mode", disconnect all Ethernet cables from the LAN ports on the XB6. Then, power-off the XB6, wait a few seconds, and power-on the XB6. Now that the XB6 is bridged, it should NOT be sending any DHCP-request to Shaw's DHCP-server.

Power-off your own router. Connect its WAN port to one of the LAN ports on the XB6.

Disconnect all Ethernet cables from the LAN ports on your own router.

When you power-on your own router, it should make a DHCP-request that goes over the XB6's  "bridge" to get an IP-address from Shaw's DHCP-server. 

Reconnect one computer to one of the LAN ports on your own router. This computer will send a DHCP-request to your own router, and should receive a response that gives a "private" IP-address for your computer to use.

On your computer, use the "ipconfig" command-line utility, to get output like:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : blah.shawcable.net
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.xxx
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1

or like:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : blah.shawcable.net
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.xxx
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

The "Default Gateway" is on the LAN side of your own router -- to allow your computers/devices on your private LAN to inter-communicate, e.g., to "share" a networked printer, and for your computer to send packets over the XB6's "bridge" to communicate with Shaw Internet.

Open your web-browser, and enter either  http://10.0.0.1 or http://192.168.0.1 to access the web-server inside your own router. After you "logon", you should be able to see something like:

WAN Network Status: Active Auto WAN
WAN IP Address (IPv4): 70.666.1129.543

to show the "public" IP-address that your own router obtained from Shaw's DHCP-server.

Note that Shaw owns many IP-addresses in the "70.xx.yy.zz" and "24.aa.bb.cc" ranges.

At this point, each of your computers, through your own router, and through the XB6, should have full Internet access.

Tell us if the above works for you, or show us where it goes astray.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help