Whoever thought direct burying cable was a good idea......

rstra
Grand Master

Whoever thought direct burying cable was a good idea......

- when life gives you lemons (or coaxial-cable and trench...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra - when life gives you lemons (or coaxial-cable and trenching tools), make a Margarita .   🙂

0 Kudos

I am just looking some information in the internet about...

miguelyjackie77
Grasshopper

I am just looking some information in the internet about this issues and found this kind of disappointed because I just got the same problem 10 days ago in my rental house , shaw technician stop by twice and He say I have this issue with my coaxial cable that run under my back yard.  He said he already put a report to send somebody doing the digging or replace the cable... but He said it could be takes 1 to 2 years... so What I should to do.... change company some that this person did , go with the competition!  .Hope get some answers here because waiting phone line for long time and no answer is disappointed. 

0 Kudos

I don’t speak for Shaw, but if it is direct buried, it co...

rstra
Grand Master

I don’t speak for Shaw, but if it is direct buried, it could be a while.

0 Kudos

-- What I should to do? A friend moved into a new (to her...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@miguelyjackie77 -- What I should to do?

A friend moved into a new (to her) house, on March 1, 2021, only to discover that the previous tenant was a Telus customer, and that the coaxial-cables (from high-up the nearest telephone-pole) to the Shaw "demarcation box" had been cut.  Weird.

A Shaw technician was booked, and arrived on March 6. He was the one who pointed-out the cut cables to my friend and to me.  Unfortunately, he did not come with a "cherry-picker" truck, and could not go up the telephone-pole to run a new line. Within a week (not "one or two years") properly-equipped Shaw technicians arrived, and ran a new overhead line.

So, what's in your back-yard? Above-ground Shaw infrastructure on the telephone-poles, or is the Shaw feed underground, before it comes onto your property? Could Shaw run an above-ground cable above your property, thus "abandoning" the underground line?

0 Kudos

-- last week, I hired an electrician to upgrade the power...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@miguelyjackie77 -- last week, I hired an electrician to upgrade the power-supply from my circuit-breaker box, through an underground feed, to my back-yard tool-shed. Since the existing electrical-cables were inside a metal pipe, the electrician just pulled new, thicker, cables through the pipe. So, in my case, there was no need to dig any trench. Maybe, you should contact an electrician, and see if a new coaxial-cable can be pulled through the existing pipe, leaving both ends "unfinished", with lots of extra meters of cable at both ends. Then, a Shaw installer can complete the new connection, working to Shaw's specifications. Possible?

0 Kudos

Shaw cable can’t share a conduit with Hydro. If there is...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk Shaw cable can’t share a conduit with Hydro. If there is  an existing conduit for Shaw and possibly tel, we would hope that the technician would have pulled in a new cable. This is likely direct buried cable which requires permits, excavators, planners and etc.

0 Kudos

-- Shaw cable can’t share a conduit with Hydro.  That is...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- Shaw cable can’t share a conduit with Hydro. 

That is obvious. But, I did not suggest that -- you did.

> ... hope that the technician would have pulled a new cable.

You're assuming competence that the front-line Shaw Agent, on chat/telephone, probably did not have, regarding what the Shaw installation crew is capable of doing.

Consult an electrician about what can be done, if you cannot get a satisfactory response from Shaw.

0 Kudos

That is obvious. But, I did not suggest that -- you did....

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk That is obvious. But, I did not suggest that -- you did.

No, I didn’t suggest running a line with Hydro.

There was a technician on site twice and probably would have pulled a new line if he could, so likely direct buried. If the electrician is willing to potentially have to get permits from the town and maybe even tel (if Shaw is using their tub) and do some digging, then yes, he could call am electrician.

0 Kudos

-- ‎2020-05-14 07:53 AM ... [the Shaw technician] left an...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@daca1 -- ‎2020-05-14 07:53 AM ... [the Shaw technician] left and indicated he will put another request to complete the trenching, and indicate it is a priority. 

Is it still a "priority", almost 12 months later?

> ‎2020-05-07 01:44 PM ... I have a lot of friends who work for Shaw 

Were any of them able to intervene?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help