Jump to solution

If BlueCurve does not have a Guest network, does Guest profile help?

tc10
Grasshopper

I just found this Shaw BlueCurve link to managing profiles including Guest??

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/how-to-manage-people-and-profiles-with-bluecurve-home/t... 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

This is ridiculous and shameful behavior from Shaw. Remov...

vpts
Grasshopper

This is ridiculous and shameful behavior from Shaw. Removing the standard functionality of a guest network from routers is a complete joke. It's such a pity too because the quality of the connection, speed and range of the new routers is pretty decent. But to properly have a guest network you have to bridge mode the shaw gateway and purchase another router just to have a guest network. Seems pretty silly to me. I hope Shaw seriously reconsiders this move and brings back guest network functionality on the blue curve gateways.

Jump to solution

- But to properly have a guest network you have to bridge...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@vpts - But to properly have a guest network you have to bridge mode the Shaw gateway and purchase another router just to have a guest network.

You do NOT need to "bridge" the cable-modem, which would disable some of the cable-modem's features.

Just connect the WAN port on your own router to one of the LAN ports on the cable-modem, and configure your own router to set a SSID & password for that router.  Your guest(s) can connect to that SSID.  Unless you give them the password for the cable-modem's SSID, they cannot connect to your network.

Alternately, Shaw can provision your cable-modem to have two "public" IP-addresses -- one for the cable-modem, and one for the WAN port on your own router. Again, configure your own router to set a SSID & password.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help