Re: Can't access shaw email through wifi

rivergurl
Grasshopper

Wow, I can't than you enough for your persistence in trying to help me. I'm so pleased and am contacting Shaw right away!

Re: Can't access shaw email through wifi

shaw-tony

No problem

0 Kudos

I am very frustrated and upset.  I have tried everything,...

Lancing912
Grasshopper

I am very frustrated and upset.  I have tried everything, but still cannot access my emails on my iPhone.

0 Kudos

-- see: https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/how-...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master
0 Kudos

Same here. And same when using another WiFi and not the h...

Luckyfour
Grasshopper

Same here. And same when using another WiFi and not the home one. On my computer it works fine but not the phone.

0 Kudos

I can never send shaw emails using my android cell phone...

LizSJ
Grasshopper

I can never send shaw emails using my android cell phone when I am on ANY wifi anywhere in the world.  Which means if I am out of country and don’t have data I cannot send any emails or reply to an incoming one.  What is wrong with Shaw?  No problem with sending from gmail.  I am on the verge of cancelling Shaw.  This has gone on for over one year.  

0 Kudos

-- I can never send Shaw emails using my android cell pho...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@LizSJ -- I can never send Shaw emails using my android cell phone when I am on ANY wifi anywhere in the world.  

Which means if I am out of country and don’t have data I cannot send any emails or reply to an incoming one.  

Correct, unless you enter your Shaw ID/password onto Shaw's WebMail site. Then, you can "receive" and "send".

Which E-mail client program are you using on your device?

Everywhere on the Internet, mail-servers are configured to accept E-mail only from IP-addresses that are on their own network. This prevents spammers from connecting to Shaw's mail-server from their non-Shaw Internet Service Provider, and "dumping" their spam message through Shaw.  This also is preventing you from sending when you are "anywhere-else".

Shaw does have "authenticate-before-send" as a configuration option -- your E-mail client program first sends your Shaw ID/password, to authenticate that you are a customer of Shaw. After authenticating, you can send through Shaw's mail-server.

What is wrong with Shaw?  No problem with sending from gmail.  

Yes, GMAIL is a "web-mail" type of service, where you first enter your ID/password, to authenticate. Use Shaw WebMail.

I am on the verge of cancelling Shaw.  

And going to Telus? A while ago, Telus "outsourced" all its E-mail "back-end" processing to GMail. So, switching to Telus is a possible solution, since you are familiar with using the web-mail interface offered by GMail.

This has gone on for over one year.  

True. All the ISPs have mail-servers that only accept E-mail from their customers' computers/device. Spammers be gone!

P.S. A few times, Telus has offered me $20/month, for the remaining months on my two-year Value Plan, if I were to terminate my Shaw contract, and switch to Telus.  So, if you do talk to Telus, be sure to get that offer, if it still is available.

0 Kudos

Without knowing which device you are using and the settin...

rstra
Grand Master

@LizSJ  Without knowing which device you are using and the settings, it is difficult to know what is wrong. Here is a link from Shaw with the recommended settings. I am on iOS and have no problem sending and receiving email, no matter which network (wifi or data) that I am on. 

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/how-to-setup-email-on-an-android-device/ta-p/6776

0 Kudos

I am having the EXACT same issues. It is sporadic, someti...

KEA03
Grasshopper

I am having the EXACT same issues. It is sporadic, sometimes I log in through webmail.shaw.ca and after hitting enter numerous times (after I input user name and password) sometimes it loads my email and most times it doesn't. I am currently sitting in Grande Prairie airport on public wi-fi and am unable to connect, I just get the "wheel of death". At home on my wired PC, it is again hit and miss. This only started happening in the last 6 months but connectivity is getting worse. I can access my emails on my phone (Google Pixel) and I have to forward to another Outlook email address to actually open them. Like the previous poster, I too am at my wits end. Extremely annoying. If 25 (posting) people are having the same issue, how many more are there and how many simply moved over to Telus? HELP!

0 Kudos

-- how strong is the signal at "public WiFi" network at t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@KEA03 -- how strong is the signal at "public WiFi" network at that airport? 

What speed of Internet does that system provide? 10 Mbps? 50 Mbps? 

Could it be that there are too many devices simultaneously connected, saturating that Internet connection, and thus giving "slow" service to each device?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help