that page is on how to access the Gateway admin menu thro...

shaw-tony

@PirateSwayze that page is on how to access the Gateway admin menu through 10.0.0.1 or the web/app.

To address your specific issue, there may be some limitations of how many devices can connect to the 2.4 Ghz network. A suggestion is:

• Split your SSID, disable band steering, forget the 2.4 Ghz network on some non-IoT devices that are using 2.4 Ghz and connect those devices to 5 Ghz only (if possible).
  • You can get the BlueCurve Pods and hard wire some IoT devices to the pod using ethernet, so they run off the Pod's antenna. If you have any security cameras that can use ethernet, plug them into the Pods.
  • You can get a 3rd party AP and put the IoT devices on there with a different SSID.

I hope that helps!

0 Kudos

Thanks again for the prompt response   unfortunately I ha...

PirateSwayze
Grasshopper

Thanks again for the prompt response @shaw-tony  unfortunately I have already accessed the Gateway multiple times and there are no options for changing the DHCP range on the Blue Curve. It looks to have a limit of 2.4 Ghz devices connected, and even though I have reduced the number of devices on that band (it is already split into two networks, no band-steering), I have maxed out what it allows. I have numerous smart devices that are 2.4 Ghz only, as well as Sonos speakers that are the same, while all devices that can be hardwired are connected to switch to further reduce the necessity for more 2.4 Ghz addresses.

The fact this isn't configurable as an admin, like on every other modem/router I have worked with, is frustrating. Rather than purchasing BlueCurve Pods (which to my understanding don't provide more DHCP leases, just extend the ones available from the router, I will likely purchase a third party router which has the configuration options I need. Appreciate you taking the time to try and help.

Add another frustrated user to the list... After about 16...

BlueCursed
Grasshopper

Add another frustrated user to the list... After about 16 hours on hold for tech support over multiple days, I got sent a new Blue Curve gateway as a solution. It is extremely frustrating to have "solutions" provided before the support personnel have even understood the root cause of the issue.

@CanadianAME, I believe you are on the right track, and I would agree with @PirateSwayze that there is a limit to the number of wifi devices that the Blue Curve Gateway will allow to connect at one time. As usual with a device made specifically for a service provider like Shaw, finding the actual answers is difficult.

I have been adding smart home devices to my residence. I have added about 8 Google Home minis to the house, a Google Nest doorbell and camera, two August door locks, 20 or so Sonoff smart switches, and a handful of various smart bulbs. This is in addition to the gaggle of laptops, tablets, cell phones, and other various wifi enabled devices that live here, or come and go as people (used to) pop over for a visit.

All was going well until I added a couple smart bulbs to the basement, and then things fell apart. Random devices would go offline. My cell phone, or my laptop wouldn't connect to the wifi randomly.

While I am typing this, I have 41 wireless devices connected to my gateway. This can be seen on the Gateway | At a Glance page. At the top, hover over the word Wifi that is just under your logged in username, and it will give you the wifi status and number of connected devices. We resorted to disconnecting a number of the smart home devices to get the number of wifi devices down below the "magic" number. I suspect it may be arbitrarily set at 50. This is not a solution as I want to add about another 20 or so smart devices to my home.

While there are indeed 254 usable IP address in a /24 subnet (255.255.255.0), this is not the total number of wifi devices that the Blue Curve gateway will support.

If you Google for "maximum number of concurrent wifi connections" you will find a fair bit of information. Many will talk about not putting a lot of wifi devices on a router because of bandwidth considerations... but for smart home devices that just control lights and such, these devices use little bandwidth, they are more concerned with just having network access for control. Obviously you can't stream 250 Netflix movies over a single wifi access point at once, but 100 devices just sitting there waiting for a command, or waiting to send a status packet don't use a lot of bandwidth. You may run across someone with a tidbit of insight such as this:

Some home routers include a feature that allows administrators to control the number of clients that can simultaneously connect. Many Linksys routers, for example, set a default maximum of 50 devices.

Aha! This is exactly the issue that we are probably up against in the Blue Curve gateway. Whether that 50 devices is wireless or an aggregate of wired and wireless is unknown. This is the key bit of information we need from Shaw support.

@shaw-tony Does the Blue Curve gateway have an arbitrary maximum number of devices allowed? If so, what is that number? Is it combine wired and wireless, or each connection type? Is there a way to modify the maximum number of devices supported?

I have contemplated getting the pods to see if that will help, but there is a dearth of information on the way the pods work. All that you are told is they will help extend the range of your network. I have good coverage in my house with the gateway where it is located. I have one smart switch in the master bedroom closet that is right on the edge of coverage, but other than that, I am good. All except for the fact that I seem to have hit an arbitrary limit on the number of devices that can be supported at one time.

Your suggestions provided to @PirateSwayze are as follows:

1. Make some changes to your wifi configuration, and then remove as many wifi devices from the 2.4GHz network as possible.
  2. Add some pods to your system (and bill), then use those as remote wired ports to remove as many wifi devices from the 2.4 GHz network as possible.
  3. Purchase and install a third party wireless access point that you can control, and that will support more devices than the Shaw Blue Curve Gateway, and forget using the Shaw provided device.

So, rather than provide an answer to the question "Is there a maximum number of wifi devices that can connect to the Blue Curve gateway?", we get remove as many wifi devices as you can from the wifi network, or go buy a third party product that can support the number of devices you want to use.

There is no shame in not knowing the answer to a question. I deal with a lot of tech support personnel in my work life. The ones that tell me "I don't know the answer to that question, but let me see if I can find out for you." garner a lot more respect than the ones that will give you a "canned" response, or try to appease you with an "answer" that truly doesn't address the issue, or that just blatantly give you a completely wrong answer. Even coming back with a "We don't have an answer to your issue at this time" is much better than being given some useless answer just to get you to go away.

Shaw has consistently been able to leave me shaking my head at the lack of useful technical support over the years. Hopefully this interaction will break that chain.

Probably a bandwidth limitation and wireless interference...

rstra
Grand Master

Probably a bandwidth limitation and wireless interference issues. The XB6 radio, and likely that of many other residential grade routers, can’t handle that many simultaneous connections.  

the limitation is on the physical 2.4Ghz antenna, and not...

shaw-tony

@PirateSwayze @BlueCursed the limitation is on the physical 2.4Ghz antenna, and not a DHCP limit. It can handle roughly 30-40 devices. When the new Fibre+ Gateway 2.0 becomes available in your area (for applicable plans), it may relieve this issue with improved antennas.

0 Kudos

Will this overload in turn end up cutting out internet an...

andsoitgoes
Grasshopper

Will this overload in turn end up cutting out internet and causing the modem toose it’s connection?

I just tried watching something with my family and the second we attempted streaming the entire network crashed. I had to reboot the modem 3 times and it took almost half an hour for the network to come back up. 

I never expected to deal with this kind of nonsense so I didn’t restrain myself when adding smart devices which are now deeply embedded. What’s the solution? Do we just need to write off the entirety of the modem and bridge a high quality router to actually deal with this stuff? At yet another cost?

I did a factory reset a few months back and that literally caused my entire LAN network to implode. The tech that came out tried to explain to me that Shaw didn’t support assigning static LAN ip addresses which… please don’t even get me started on that. 

The new modems aren’t available in my area yet but I’m getting so fed up. Especially considering Shaw is the only game in town since telus can’t get their optik network through the log jam that is the idiotic bureaucracy of our township. 

0 Kudos

Yes, you would be correct for WIRED clients, but this wil...

touchdown
Grasshopper

Yes, you would be correct for WIRED clients, but this will not increase the number of WIRELESS clients in this case ..... because there is a WIRELESS client limit that is hit before the DHCP server can even think about handing out another address. There is a limit for 2.4GHz client connections, and a separate limit for 5GHz client connections. Either the modem's provisioning (provisioned by Shaw) has limited the number of WIRELESS clients, or it is a physical hard-stop limitation of the radio on the XB6 modem.

The new XB7 modem uses wifi 6, which should allow more WIRELESS clients. I just got one, and will test it to see if the limit has been increased.

The max is 30 devices for wifi 2.4ghz.  It actually tells...

Felix0921
Grasshopper

The max is 30 devices for wifi 2.4ghz.  It actually tells you if you connect past 30.  It says too many connections

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help