Jump to solution

I have had a much better experience with Go WIFI this las...

tsf
Grasshopper

I have had a much better experience with Go WIFI this last year. I am now on an android phone (no more Ipod) and it usually connects seamlessly.

Jump to solution

Good to hear that!

rstra
Grand Master

Good to hear that!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> I just took a shot the he was a he.  Via Shaw On Demand...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I just took a shot the he was a he. 

Via Shaw On Demand, I just re-watched the episode of Doctor Who that was the final (? one never knows when a past Doctor makes a guest appearance ?) episode featuring the 12th Doctor. His "resurrected" companion was Bill -- a nominally-masculine name, but definitely was a 20-something female with a skin-colour as dark as Clara's skin-colour was white.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Are you making accusations towards me, if so, message me...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk Are you making accusations towards me, if so, message me directly, otherwise, move on. 

Jump to solution

Sorry....your response has left me more confused than bef...

NYOYDB
Grasshopper

Sorry....your response has left me more confused than before I read it!
I have Shaw Wifi at home, and therefore I have access to ShawOpen at many places such as commercial areas. Occasionally when I'm looking for wifi access, i see a ShawGo source but never seem to have any success signing into it or obtaining wifi access by it. I'm not techy, so have no idea what an SSID is but if I understand you correctly, if I am able to use Shaw Open, then I must have ShawGo. Then why can't I access/use ShawGo?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

just how do you figure that something I've paid for is a...

NYOYDB
Grasshopper

just how do you figure that something I've paid for is a "gift horse"???
Part of the selling feature of my home wifi contract is access to the supposed many wifi connections I should be able to access when not at home!
And y'all think you're doing me a favor???
How rude and arrogant! 
but such is to be expected from Shaw!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- when I'm looking for wifi access, i see a ShawGo sourc...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@NYOYDB -- when I'm looking for wifi access, i see a ShawGo source but never seem to have any success signing into it or obtaining wifi access by it.

Note that "ShawOpen" and "ShawGo" are SSIDs -- simply, just the name of a WiFi network.

The "ShawOpen" network requires a subscription to Shaw Internet, and a Shaw E-mail ID.

The "ShawGo" network was created in March 2020 (a year ago, when COVID-19 emerged) by Shaw to allow any person with a WiFi-capable device to freely access the Internet.

After your WiFi device connects to the "ShawGo" network, open the web-browser on your device. The web-browser will automatically be redirected to a web-page, where you must click "I agree" to get Internet access.  Does this not work for you?

> if I understand you correctly, if I am able to use Shaw Open, then I must have ShawGo.

If you can use ShawOpen, your WiFi device is capable of connecting to that SSID on the Shaw WiFi access-point. Since the ShawGo network is offered on the same Shaw WiFi access-point, your device should equally be able to connect to that SSID.

During COVID-19, even if you are not a Shaw customer, your WiFi-enabled device should be able to connect to ShawGo.

Compare accessing ShawOpen to have a one-year unlimited pass to some Museum -- you just show your credentials, and you can enter.  If you don't have a pass, you have to pay the admission fee every time that you want to visit the Museum. ShawGo requires you to authenticate for every connection. The first connection to ShawOpen saves your credentials, to automatically reuse them every future time that you connect.

Jump to solution

Thank you. Finally concise clear answer.   Michael

minka10
Grasshopper

Thank you. Finally concise clear answer.

Michael

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

What doe that mean?  Access to ShawOpen would not be avai...

gappband
Grasshopper

What doe that mean? 

Access to ShawOpen would not be available if Shaw did not offer the GoWiFi technology. Can you dumb it down and explain this without using analogies . 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Access to ShawOpen would not be available if Shaw did...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@gappband -- Access to ShawOpen would not be available if Shaw did not offer the Go WiFi technology.

True. See: https://www.shaw.ca/internet/wifi/

for the service that Shaw has branded as "Go WiFi".

Note that the "ShawGo" WiFi network was created in 2020, as Shaw's response to COVID-19, to offer free WiFi to anybody with a WiFi-capable device. However, 2-plus years later, Shaw no longer offers "ShawGo".

> Can you dumb it down, and explain this without using analogies . 

No. The ShawGo service has been "retired".

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help