Jump to solution

yes, the survey is harmless enough until you are asked fo...

ekkehard
Grasshopper

yes, the survey is harmless enough until you are asked for the payment of one Dollar via credit card. Call no. for assistance show Cyprus

country code !

Too bad Shaw themselves are not warning about it as the initial communication looks very real

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Scammers spoofing SHAW

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Too bad Shaw themselves are not warning about it.

They have posted a message for a similar topic:   How to deal with scam phone calls to Shaw customers 

Jump to solution

Looks very well done. Tempting, they wanted only $1.00 to...

Jakecamp
Grasshopper

Looks very well done. Tempting, they wanted only $1.00 to process the ‘win’ however, they only took a credit card not pay-pal and gave no address to mail it. 
I advise you to send out a general text or email to your customers to warn them.

Text would be best I believe.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

- Text would be best I believe. Yesterday, I received a "...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Jakecamp - Text would be best I believe.

Yesterday, I received a "lower your interest rate" scammer's call, with the Caller-ID information showing the 1-800 number for "Bank of America" crediti-card support.  One cannot trust Caller-ID information to be correct.

Similarly, one cannot trust that text-messages really originate from a telephone-number that can be traced to Shaw, and one cannot trust that the contact of the message contains hyperlinks *ONLY* to genuine Shaw web-sites.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Just received this fake survey on my PC! What alerted me...

budb
Grasshopper

Just received this fake survey on my PC! What alerted me was the statement that the survey was anonymous. How do you win a prize if you are anonymous? So clearly they are phishing for personal details. I didn't click on the link.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I am getting the fake message that my ip address has been...

RGF
Grasshopper

I am getting the fake message that my ip address has been selected to win a ph and other gifts if i answer a survey.  It wants you to click on a reply, which of course i didn't.  My problem is that I called Shaw and was told there was nothing they could do about it which i find distressing.  The problem is i have exited out of my browser (Chrome) and it came back.  So I shut down my computer and did a restart and it came back.  I intend now to leave it off over night to see if it will go away in the morning if not what am I to do?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- The problem is i have exited out of my browser (Chrome...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@RGF -- The problem is i have exited out of my browser (Chrome) and it came back.  So I shut down my computer and did a restart and it came back.  I intend now to leave it off over night to see if it will go away in the morning if not what am I to do?

CHROME has the option to automatically re-open the web-pages that were open when Chrome was closed. So, within Chrome, disable this option, close the "bad" web-page, and close Chrome. Re-open Chrome, to see if only the "default" web-pages (as configured within Chrome's settings) are opened.

If you open a different web-browser (Microsoft Edge, or Internet Explorer -- which still is available within Windows 10), does the web-page still get loaded?

Maybe, uninstall Chrome, restart your computer, and reinstall Chrome.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Just wanted to update some people who responded to my com...

Grizbland
Grasshopper

Just wanted to update some people who responded to my comment from the other day when I mentioned about the Rolling Stone magazine website doing the same thing and the "fake" Shaw survey popping up. I spoke to and had one of the representatives at Shaw go to the website and it did in fact do the same thing where this individual was so it was immediately reported to Shaw's security department pronto. The one who stated to try another computer, well, someone did and in another location and they too got the same results. Whatever the case, I went there today and it is not popping up with this "fake" Shaw survey anymore. My computer is in good working order and has as good as it gets for top of the line virus protection and no matter how good one thinks any particular brand is, it it still just as vulnerable as any other. It all boils down to individual preference and we just do what we can to stay protected. Nothing will ever be perfect.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- someone did and in another location and they too got t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Grizbland -- someone did and in another location and they too got the same results.

That is good news.

Some web-sites, e.g., Rolling Stone magazine, allow third-party companies to inject advertising into their web-site. Of course, the web-sites get some compensation for allowing the advertising to be delivered to visitors to the web-site. 

However, those third-part companies accidentally may allow a malicious advertisement to be inserted into "pool" of advertisements that are offered to those web-sites.

When you access the web-site, you also download that malicious advertisement.

So, in this case, the web-site (Rolling Stone) can either stop "pulling" advertisements from that third-party company, or they can inform that third-party company that one of the advertisements is inappropriate, and request that it be removed from the "pool" of advertisements.

It is difficult for anti-virus software to detect such "injections" onto a web-page.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

yes it does brainsapience.com is what I got signed up for...

aarondorris20
Grasshopper

yes it does brainsapience.com is what I got signed up for hopefully I only lose the $1  

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help