-- where problem is? Is Shaw's Network Monitoring Centre...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Oiltown34 -- where problem is?

Is Shaw's Network Monitoring Centre (NMC) aware of the issue(s)?  I presume "yes".

Are some of the BC Highways still closed, preventing Shaw service trucks from getting past the many wash-outs, to get to the point-of-failure? I presume "yes".

Can anything written on this peer-to-peer discussion forum speed-up Shaw's remediation?  I presume not, unless you have your own helicopter, to volunteer to transport the Shaw technicians to the point-of-failure location(s).

It seems that Shaw has added a new route, from Calgary to somewhere in Illinois, to avoid sending traffic to Seattle via Vancouver. Good for them!

0 Kudos

It would be interesting to know the extent of any damage...

rstra
Grand Master

It would be interesting to know the extent of any damage to the fibre backbone running along the CP and CN rail lines in that area. 

0 Kudos

Shaw has confirmed "...there was damage to some of our fi...

Schwaby
Grasshopper

@Oiltown34 @mdk 

Shaw has confirmed "...there was damage to some of our fibre links in BC caused by the atmospheric river." and is re-routing traffic in certain instances.

So to mdk's point, yes, good on them for maintaining a service with somewhat minimal interruptions (for me anyways) during events out of anyone's control...but to be honest, this really should be expected.

I was also told "...we would only consider a ping exceeding 100ms within our network to be problematic..."

The points I am hoping Shaw is taking into consideration are: 1) there are area's in Alberta that still take a direct path to Vancouver (ie; Medicine Hat) so I can only assume traffic is being load-balanced not to saturate the remaining fibre. So options exist. 2) As best as I have seen, the consumer Internet service from Telus has been unaffected. 

What would impress and keep me as a Shaw customer is them providing options that I am assuming they have. Ex; a different tier of service at a reasonable extra cost.  Or implement some 'creative routing rules' which prioritizes real-time traffic (ie; Google Stadia, UDP, etc. etc.) that is destined for California to take the direct path that I know still exists.

0 Kudos

....literally after I wrote this I did a traceroute to a...

Schwaby
Grasshopper

....literally after I wrote this I did a traceroute to a Stadia server and it is taking the path via Vancouver.  So, ~30ms vs. ~80ms!

Maybe someone in Shaw actually listened! (and thank you Shaw if that's the case). Let's hope it stays this way.  I can keep anyone who cares to know posted..!!

0 Kudos

--  this really should be expected. Those experts talking...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Schwaby --  this really should be expected.

Those experts talking about BC's "atmospheric rivers" have been saying "once in one hundred years", and how climate change is forcing them to reconsider that "1-in-100" is becoming too-long a period of time.

>  the consumer Internet service from Telus has been unaffected. 

A stroke of luck ? A flip of a coin?

Or, maybe, the Bell/Telus fiber-optic cables have been laid along a different path -- a path that has not been damaged.

Maybe, Telus has some cross-border links (Vancouver -> Bellingham -> Idaho -> Calgary --> Edmonton ???) that are carrying the traffic?

implement some "creative routing rules" which prioritizes real-time traffic 

Is it factual to report that they are not already doing so? 

While fiber-optic cables are fast-as-light, it is the routers that get more expensive, the more Gigabits/second that they have to route.  Shaw needs a "bigger" router in Calgary than they need in Okotoks.  🙂

Actually, it's not the routing that would change, when wanting to give priority to real-time traffic. Google-search for "packet-shaping networking hardware" to see how this technology examines every packet, classifying the type of traffic, and prioritizing the traffic over one "hop".

we would only consider a ping exceeding 100 ms within our network to be problematic

I have never seen that much latency within Shaw's own network. Of course, when Shaw interconnects to non-Shaw networks, and some of those networks add latency, there is nothing that Shaw can do for that non-Shaw network, except to liaise with those other network providers (in the USA?). If you traceroute to a web-site in People's Republic of China, you definitely will see greater-than-100-ms numbers.

0 Kudos

I just did a traceroute to the source of a "phishing" E-m...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

I just did a traceroute to the source of a "phishing" E-mail:

Vancouver --- 12 ms rc1bb-be20.vc.shawcable.net [66.163.75.245]
Calgary ------- 40 ms rc3so-be6-1.cg.shawcable.net [66.163.78.37]
Illinois, USA - 58 ms rc4ec-be13.il.shawcable.net [66.163.65.18]
Illinois, USA - 60 ms rc3ec-be6-1.il.shawcable.net [66.163.65.69]
New York, USA - 91 ms rc1ny-be7.ny.shawcable.net [66.163.76.98]
NY City, USA - 93 ms sd-cr01.nyc.stream-internet.net [198.32.118.80]
Amsterdam - 173 ms tct-cr02-xe-2-2-1.195.ams.mts-internet.net [195.34.59.113]
Frankfurt --    177 ms           anc-cr01-be4.131.ff.mts-internet.net [212.188.42.102]
Moscow ---    212 ms       a197-cr01-ae6.77.msk.mts-internet.net [212.188.2.190]
Moscow ---    217 ms     a197-cr04-be31.77.msk.mts-internet.net [212.188.56.14]

Definitely less than 100 milliseconds "inside" Shaw's network, with a "hop" from Calgary into the USA.

Kudos to Shaw's Network Management Centre, for evolving their cross-border routing.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help