Re: High Ping & Packet Loss

anof
Grasshopper

I'm having the same problem with my ping's going all over the place as of the last week, Many different servers. No packet loss noticed. 

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

33onethird very odd that the packet loss only happens on the first hop. Some possible issues are a faulty ethernet cable, a settings related issue with your PC/Network Card, or 3rd party equipment causing problems. Are you noticing the same results on different PCs or just the one? 

If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend first replacing the ethernet cable, then ensuring your DNS settings are factory reset or the Google DNS. Finally, to plug directly into the Shaw Gateway modem to test if there is still a loss in packets on the first hop. Let me know how it goes!

0 Kudos

anof
Grasshopper

My Shaw rep said every thing looks good, and suggest a new plan and modem I asked her if she will send me a modem she said talk to talk to the service Dep, I got bounced Back and Fourth I asked to be elevated in tier she did not know what I was talking about.  Crazy ping issues are not because of an old modem as of last week.

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

anof your average ping looks solid. Are you able to send me the traceroutes from CMD to the same servers/websites?

0 Kudos

anof
Grasshopper

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

your average ping still looks solid from those tests. The longer pings may be a timeout recorded (worst) so the servers aren't DDOS attacked.

0 Kudos

anof
Grasshopper

I understand the ping looks solid on those tests shaw-tony‌  I want to show you this just done.

that is mine sent with 16541 packets see the worst MS

Now my friend also on Shaw, same city I see the routing ip's differ but here is the same test done with his 20020 packets sent tested at the same time. Pings do not indicate server time out for DDOS attacks.

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

anof thank you again for sharing, it may be a faulty modem that is causing issues. Which modem do you currently have? Also, is the modem bridged and connected with a 3rd party router or operating on its own direct to your PC?

0 Kudos

anof
Grasshopper

Cisco DPC382, it is bridged with a 3rd party router but wired straight to my desktop. I got a different rep last night on the online chat and is mailing a new modem out for me to try, Hopefully that's the problem!  Until later!  Thanks.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help