Hitron 5GHz WiFi band disappearing each day when used with WiFi Extender

darreno
Grasshopper

I have been using a Shaw Hitron modem/router for a number of years. However, the signal strength in the basement has never been very strong. To try to resolve this issue, in January, I purchased a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Range Extender (Model EX700). It has been set up to extend both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. Shortly after setting this up I noticed that my 5 GHz network band name (both my original 5G and 5G_EXT names) would drop from being visible in all Mac & PC devices. I rebooted the Hitron router and the 5G network names would reappear for a few hours. I finally called Shaw support a few weeks ago and they couldn't trouble shoot the problem. They sent out a tech to replace the modem last week. However, by the next day the problem reoccurred with the replacement Hitron router. The only short term solution I have is to reboot the router. Has anybody else experienced this problem and have any long term solutions?

3 Replies

No solution. Same problem. The router they give us I gath...

Almarenco
Grasshopper

No solution. Same problem. The router they give us I gather must be absolute **bleep**.

0 Kudos

do you noticing the 5 Ghz network disappear when the exte...

shaw-tony

@Almarenco do you noticing the 5 Ghz network disappear when the extender is not connected? It is possible your modem may be faulty and a swap is required. What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

0 Kudos

I have same problem.  Steps to solve this problem: 1. Rem...

A_l_e_x
Grasshopper

I have same problem. 

Steps to solve this problem:
1. Remove extender
2. Disable 2.4 channel
The result: SAME Problem - computers drops signal which connects to 5G

Real solution:
1. Buy a good router
2. Switch SHAW router to Bridge mode

0 Kudos
TALK TO US