Long shot but you wouldn’t happen to be running Ethernet...

rstra
Grand Master

Long shot but you wouldn’t happen to be running Ethernet cable to another building in your setup?

0 Kudos

> Now I am back to the modem rebooting itself every 5 or...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Now I am back to the modem rebooting itself every 5 or 10 minutes.

That's not good.

Take a look at the "demarcation" box. There will be one coaxial-cable running from the telephone-pole into the box, but how many coaxial cables are running out of the box. If there is more than one, there is a "coaxial-splitter" inside the box. Ask Shaw to send a technician to unlock the box, and to replace their splitter.

If you have multiple wall-outlets for cable, in various rooms, you must have another splitter somewhere as part of your house wiring. Possibly, replace each splitter that splits to a wall-outlet that you are using.

I would reconnect the UPS, to provide "smooth" power into the cable-modem.

0 Kudos

No to that.    I think I may have had a bit of a breakthr...

bjcraig
Grasshopper

No to that.   

I think I may have had a bit of a breakthrough. I'm testing it out right now.  I do have have one large HP Z420 Xeon processer server with 48 GB memory and tons of disk space.  I run a number of VM's on that machine with Vmware Desktop on Windows 10 (I really should change to the VMware server version, but that's another story).   The VM's share a single physical network card but do have unique MAC addresses (thank-you Vmware). The Hitron router web app (192.168.0.1) detects all VM's unique mac address and assigns the IP address-MAC address DHCP reservations I created correctly.  However, sometimes, when I do a Connect Devices (refresh) on the BASIC tab of the Hitron web app, it displays them slightly different.   The normal is just name, ip-address-mac-address, type, interface, with one line item per vm and one for the host (of the vm's), and one for each of the other physical machines.  But I have noticed on occasion (when problems, but not always), it groups all the VM's and their IP's under the single host IP address. Still trying to figure out why it does this and if its related to the problem - perhaps the modem is getting confused and says I don't know what to do, and just forces a reboot. Unfortunately when it returns it eventually gets back to the same state.

So this morning I shutdown all the VM's and connected all PC's wired and wireless again.  No problem so far.  Although I have had the modem function OK for periods of time with the VM's on. After a few hours of no problems I slowly started the VM's back with no problems.  So far 3 vm's started (domain controller, web server, and app/db server) and no problem with modem.  I also changed one setting on each of the VM's which I have never worried about before (I always use bridge to physical adapter, but never check "use physical adapters state"). Not sure if this is actually doing anything.

I'm not sure if any of this has to do with the cause of the problem, only time will tell since over the last 6-8 months I do have periods of four or more days of reliable modem operation, and then non-stop rebooting of the modem that I can't get rid off no matter what I do, except for last night when I turned off all my VM's it stopped the  problem.   Anyways, everything is usable for now. I just have to wait and see.

0 Kudos

This modem is included in a class action lawsuit for its...

bakermensch
Grasshopper

This modem is included in a class action lawsuit for its poor performance. See here: https://www.classactionlawyers.com/puma6

Additionally experience with my own and running the PUMA 6 test reveals the following: https://imgur.com/A9plvdE

More resources for defects below. Why Shaw continues to supply this modem is beyond me. 

https://approvedmodemlist.com/intel-puma-6-modem-list-chipset-defects/

Same modem: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Hitron-Modem-keeps-dropping-internet/td-p/387328

https://www.approvedmodems.com/do-not-buy-list.html

>  poor performance Not in my experience. I pay for "Shaw...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>  poor performance

Not in my experience. I pay for "Shaw Internet 300", and that is what Shaw SpeedTest reports, on my desktop computer.

If both wired and wireless devices can connect to the Hitron cable-modem, but all of them sometimes lose Internet access, contact Shaw, and get them to remotely logon to the Hitron, to check "signal strength" and other status items.  The problem could be the "last mile" between your cable-modem and the nearest telephone-pole, or somewhere further away, down your street. Ask your neighbours who have Shaw Internet if the have outages at the same time as you do -- that indicates an "infrastructure" problem, not a problem with the Hitron.

0 Kudos

You are lucky that your Hitron works. Mine has exactly th...

michaelbryant
Grasshopper

You are lucky that your Hitron works. Mine has exactly the same dropping issue, and I am using the 2nd Hitron, after Shaw replacing the first for the same issue. I have had a service call, remote logon by Shaw, and I've tried everything written above at least three times. I am in a brand new house with a fat ~1/2" cable running into my junction box in the garage. Ours is the only house on this supply line from the pole and box. It's all new and top quality. There is no problem with the infrastructure. The Hitron is the problem, just do a simple Google search: "Hitron Modem dropping out", and you will find hundreds of forum and community chat streams where thousands of people have the same issue. Please see the class action lawsuit taken against the Intel chip inside this Hitron offered by Shaw at:  
https://www.classactionlawyers.com/puma6  
There is no point defending Shaw when there is overwhelming evidence that this is a faulty product for most people.

0 Kudos

-- Ours is the only house on this supply line from the po...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@michaelbryant -- Ours is the only house on this supply line from the pole and box. It's all new and top quality. There is no problem with the infrastructure.

Maybe, the problem is somewhere between the pole and your local Shaw central office, i.e., an "infrastructure" problem.

Take your cable-modem, your computer, and an Ethernet CAT-5e (or CAT-6) cable to a good friend's house, hopefully within a few kilometers of where you live.  Disconnect their cable-modem, connect your cable-modem, and your computer, to see if you still experience "drop-out" problems. If not, then your Hitron cable-modem is OK.

By connecting "within a few kilometers", you' should still be on the same "leaf" of Shaw's infrastructure, and your cable-modem should have no problems synchronizing with Shaw's network.

I had been seeing the same issues. Initially the modem wo...

DGittins
Grasshopper

I had been seeing the same issues. Initially the modem would drop internet access occasionally - every few days. Then it became more regular - every day. Then it started happening more regularly. My modem is in bridge mode and I use a Netgear route5r which handles DHCP. I disconnected my router and connected my computer directly to the modem. I continued to see dropouts. The Shaw support person suggested I reset the Modem by pressing and holding the button with a paper clip for 30 seconds. This resolved the dropout issues. However, yesterday I saw another dropout so I expect the problem to return. 

Me too. My Lenovo laptop does not have 5GHZ capability ,...

khmchung
Grasshopper

Me too.

My Lenovo laptop does not have 5GHZ capability , but 2.4GHZ. The modem was put just 2 feet away. The 2.4 GHZ wifi signal has been dropping at random for the past several weeks and getting worse. However, the 5 GHZ signal has been working fine in a newer HP laptop and cell phones. After spending much time in digging out the reason for this. I strongly suspect the Hitron modem was the culprit.

Very sorry that I just renewed my contract!

0 Kudos

hmm, that is certainly odd. I'm sorry for the frustration...

shaw-tony

@khmchung @DGittins hmm, that is certainly odd. I'm sorry for the frustrations. The dropouts might be signal or power related. What other troubleshooting steps did you try? 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help