All above sounds kind of familiar. Just tried the Hitron...

techjones
Grasshopper

All above sounds kind of familiar.

Just tried the Hitron yesterday, 2 hours with tech support. I run a cat6 cable to a netgear nighthawk r8000 for wifi and a switch for ethernet with 4 wired PCs and 3 TVs wired, plus 6 or so wifi devices. Shaw tech did original set up on site, Pre Covid.

No problem with my original shaw modem, but was upgrading to 300 service. Had to hook up the Hitron that was sitting here to get the higher service. Could not get any ethernet except one PC and no wifi from the nighthawk.  I did not get much useful help with the telephone tech support who just kept bridging, unbridging, resetting and apologizing.

They sent another Hitron  and it just landed on the porch, so when I get a chance I will try this again.

I think we were  missing a step on the ethernet and router set up. Seems to me on the original shaw setup, the tech logged on to the router to set that up.

I thought that win10 would detect the ethernet, but only one PC was online.

It has been a few years since the first shaw modem so I have forgotten exactly what the process was. Anybody suggest where to begin.

Start with the humorous responses, then the tech. Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos

-- I run a cat6 cable to a netgear nighthawk r8000 for wi...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@techjones -- I run a cat6 cable to a netgear nighthawk r8000 for wifi and a switch for ethernet with 4 wired PCs and 3 TVs wired, plus 6 or so wifi devices.

The Hitron has 4 Ethernet ports and WiFi. So, it provides "private" IP-addresses, in the "192.168.0.xxx" range to your devices.

Hopefully, you have configured your Netgear to provide IP-addresses in some other range, e.g., "192.168.13.xxx" -- any range other than within the "192.168.0.xxx" range will work.  See below for instructions on how to do such a configuration.

Any devices connected (Ethernet or WiFi) to your Netgear should receive private IP-addresses in that "192.168.13.xxx" range, as supplied by your Netgear.

Any devices connected to your switch should receive private IP-addresses in the "192.168.0.xxx" range, as supplied by the Hitron modem.

Use an Ethernet cable to temporarily connect one computer to the 3rd port on the Hitron, and use the "IPCONFIG" command to verify that the assigned IP-address is in the "192.168.0.xxx" range.

--------------------

How to configure your Netgear:

1. disconnect all cables (power and Ethernet) from the Netgear.
  2. disconnect the power and Ethernet cables from a computer.
  3. connect the power to the Netgear, and wait for it to completely restart.
  4. connect the power to the computer, and start it up.
  5. use an Ethernet cable to connect the Netgear to the computer.
  6. Open a command-line prompt on the computer, and enter: IPCONFIG
  7. The output from that command will list the IP-address of the "Default gateway", e.g., something like "aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd".
  8. Open your web-browser, and enter:  http://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
  9. Logon with the default ID & password for the Netgear.
  10. Navigate to the screen where you can change its "gateway" IP-address.
  11. Change the current IP-address to "192.168.13.1"
  12. When you click "Apply" or "OK", the Netgear will reboot, and you will lose your connection to the Netgear.
  13. Close your web-browser.
  14. On the computer, enter: IPCONFIG /RELEASE
  15. On the computer, enter: IPCONFIG /RENEW
  16. As in #7, above, note that the IP-address for "Default Gateway" has changed to "192.168.13.1".
  17. As in #8, above, open the web-browser, and enter:  http://192.168.13.1
  18. You will now be logged-in to the Netgear.
  19. Navigate to the screen where you can set the SSID for the Netgear's wireless adapter, and set your choice of ID & password.
  20. Use an Ethernet cable to connect another computer to the Netgear.
  21. From the command-line prompt, enter: IPCONFIG
  22. You should see a slightly-different IP-address than the first computer, but the same "Default Gateway IP-address.
  23. Now, you can use another Ethernet cable to connect the Netgear to a port on the Hitron.
  24. Within the web-browser on each of the 2 computers, access any web-page, e.g., "www.google.ca" or "www.gov.bc.ca" -- both computers should have full Internet access.
  25. Take one of your WiFi devices, and connect to the SSID you created in #19, above. This device should now have Internet access.
  26. Take another WiFi device, and connect to the SSID provided by the Hitron. This device also should now have Internet access.

Connect your switch to one of the ports on the Hitron. Any computer that you connect, with an Ethernet cable, to the switch will obtain an IP-address in the "192.168.0.xxx" range, as supplied by the Hitron. The switch probably does not have any WiFi capability.

Tell us if any of the above steps does not work for you.

Thanks very much! Will try this asap and post results. I...

techjones
Grasshopper

Thanks very much! Will try this asap and post results.

I thought we were missing  a step.

Cheers

0 Kudos

None of this would matter is the modem is in bridge mode...

mpgrimes
Grasshopper

None of this would matter is the modem is in bridge mode in which the cable should be plugged into port one of the Shaw modem, make sure that nothing is plugged into the Shaw modem while it's being put into bridge mode, once it has rebooted in bridge mode,then plug in your own router. It will then be assigned a public IP address just as the old modems used to do before they came with built in WiFi

-- Will try this ASAP and post results. Result? It is nor...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@techjones -- Will try this ASAP and post results.

Result?

It is normal for a "bridged" router to give a "public" IP-address only to one computer (your Windows system), leaving your router unable to obtain an IP-address.

Ask Shaw to provision you with 2 "public" IP-addresses. There is no extra cost for this. Then, your Windows computer will get the first one, and your own router will get the second one.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help