Hopefully he changed all connectors in the meantime.

rstra
Grand Master

Hopefully he changed all connectors in the meantime. 

-- I'll be struggling ... Ask your neighbours who also ha...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Retriever -- I'll be struggling ...

Ask your neighbours who also have Shaw Internet if they too are struggling.  Draw a map of their houses & yours, and give it to the Plant Ops technician, marking "good" or "bad" or "not a Shaw Internet customer" for each neighbour.

It may save them some time on the scene, if there is a pattern.

0 Kudos

Experiencing very similar "internet dropped" issues as th...

kazsulec
Grasshopper

Experiencing very similar "internet dropped" issues as this thread documents. Months on end, no need to repeat the whole story. Have a tech scheduled to visit Sunday, June 28 to check the wiring from house to pole, at the pole... however far they can take it upstream.

One curious anecdote. Two of us doing wfh and using separate VPN products to connect to separate VPN destinations. Both wireless LAN connections from Windows laptops. When all other devices reported "connected to LAN but no internet", the VPN tunnels stayed connected and functioning. Nothing else could get out to the WAN via the Hitron modem, but those VPN connections were rock solid. 

I'd have suspected some VPN-related cause and effect, but the internet dropped issue is from way before COVID sent us all home. OTOH, maybe the fact that VPN connection continued working can give a network SME some insight into what's wrong?

I have been experience the exact same issues.  At first I...

vonalka
Grasshopper

I have been experience the exact same issues.  At first I thought it was my switch as I have almost everything connected via hardwire, but after testing without the switch, I still get the same issues.  This seems to be impacting quite a few people and I suspect most people would never notice it.  Curious is this is limited to a specific area - I am based in North Vancouver.

0 Kudos

-- This seems to be impacting quite a few people Shaw ad...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@vonalka -- This seems to be impacting quite a few people

Shaw advertises that they can provide Internet to more than 1 million customers than Telus can provide.

So, if only a "few" people complain, that is about 99.99 % who do not complain.

Also, if you read through this discussion forum, you will get a biased view -- just the "complainers" will post here.

> ... is this is limited to a specific area?

Unless you do a door-to-door survey, all over Greater Vancouver, BC, and Alberta, and beyond, you won't be able to accurately answer your question.

>  I have been [experiencing] the exact same issues

This discussion thread spans 5 "pages". Which of the issues posted on those pages match your symptoms?

Finally, this is a peer-to-peer discussion forum, not a path to Shaw Support.

I recommend that you contact Shaw (currently, online chat has priority over telephone), and tell your symptoms to Shaw, and get them to trouble-shoot.

0 Kudos

-- I'll post again in a few days.  It's been almost 6 mon...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Retriever -- I'll post again in a few days. 

It's been almost 6 months since June 16, 2020.

Better? Worse? Switched to TELUS? Moved to a different location, city, province?

0 Kudos

I got another rep to come out they could not come in the...

Retriever
Grasshopper

I got another rep to come out they could not come in the house due to covid but stood outside while I set up yet another new box... The new box seems to work so I went through three all together. I can only assume that it was the boxes that were the issue despite whatever they told me at support about the main box & sending out a repair crew etc. 

Very few interruptions these days, a few hiccups and once in a while my cameras get knocked offline, minor annoyances.

I actually just switched over to the fiber yesterday connection is solid so far

0 Kudos

Yup I had this problem when I first got Shaw late 2020. I...

Network-Admin
Grasshopper

Yup I had this problem when I first got Shaw late 2020. It was fixed by downgrading to the older modem and accepting a slower speed. Two years later it’s happening again and I’ll probably have to go with Telus at a whopping 15Mbps :(. Reliability is more important than speed unfortunately 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help