Re: Internet 600 Experience

rickatk
Master

jagerx9 wrote:

This used to be me. I even hit 700 at times. Now it crawls to around 10-15 on sites other than Netflix and Youtube after around 6pm.

Sounds like you need some troubleshooting or even a service call. You shouldn’t be experiencing such poor performance.

Have you tried rebooting your Shaw modem. Try direct connecting your cable modem to your computer via Ethernet...no wifi?

Can you try different computers?

A call to Shaw tech support may also be indicated after some basic troubleshooting.

0 Kudos

Re: Internet 600 Experience

rickatk
Master

snake24564 wrote:

I hate to say this but I also experience this issue.  No wounder i want to switch back to Telus.

I really hate this issue.

Shaw should switch to fibre directly to our homes cuz it could help us maintain the same speed and it would really make their customers happy.

Reply if you agree

I agree sort of...

Both Shaw and Telus run their systems on a fibre optic backbone, terminating at the house and then on to coaxial wiring inside. So we really are talking about the quality of the fibre network or “backbone.” From what I understand Shaw’s fibre backbone is no slouch.  Further, unless you live in a newly constructed home with fibre installed in the building, getting fibre from the street is going to be difficult. Most Telus fibre installation on residential locations generally step down to copper and quite often coaxial by time the service hits the house. This is mostly due to legacy household wiring. Check out the Telus forums on this  topic. Shaw is doing the same thing, fibre and at some point coaxial cable. This hybrid approach is common place for Telus and Shaw because of legacy household wiring. 

Frankly at this point I am not interested in trying to bring fibre into my recently constructed house because the copper coaxial cable is installed in all the rooms and really does the job. Trying to get fibre right into the house would be a huge undertaking and likely result in unsightly surface wiring.

Unless you are on a gigabit service, which is in very limited testing supply, choosing Telus Fibre or  Shaw Coaxial will be inconsequential because the offered throughput speeds just don’t require that much bandwidth right now. Fact is Shaw’s Docsis 3.1 protocol can deliver up to 10 Gbps theoretical.

Most problems with inconsistent performance usually has more to do with local hardware problems like hardware glitches, poor hardware, cheap routers, poor connections or maybe some sort of network problems. These problems are best dealt with by employing some basic troubleshooting or a call to technical support and possibly a home visit.

Over the years I have had consistently good internet and tv service, on Shaw, by ensuring my gear is up to date, my connections are in good shape and periodic checks on Speedtest. I changed communities a few months ago. I transferred my Internet 600 / BlueSky service and receive the same good performance in my new location.

Its nice to dream about a “pure fibre” setup but the reality is that “in house” fibre termination at this time just isn’t that necessary and the reality is that Shaw and Telus are using a hybrid approach because of legacy household wiring.

Shaw’s new Docis 3.1 10 Gbps protocol means we can look forward to better and faster copper based service for some time to come. 

Fair to say Telus has been throwing around “Fibre” marketing for a while now...here is Shaw’s take on Fibre:

Shaw FibrePlus Advantage - Internet Speeds Up to 600 Mbps† and Growing 

0 Kudos

My experience has been terrible. It is slower than my 10...

Yakpi
Grasshopper

My experience has been terrible. It is slower than my 10 year old Motorola. Plus my Android cell only connects about 50% of the time. How can it be this slow?download speed.PNG    

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help