Jump to solution

> Both my devices are using the default on-board Realtek...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Both my devices are using the default on-board Realtek PCI-E GBE Family Ethernet Controller which seems to max out at 100Mbps (I'm not techy enough to figure out how it maxes at 100 Mbps but I can speed test at 330 Mpbs).

Are you sure that this Ethernet controller is just a "10/100" device, or is it a "10/100/1000" device, making it capable of "Gigabit" (1000 Megabits per second) transfer.

Check the network-setting for this controller, to be sure that it is set to "automatic" choice of speed, ie., not "locked" to 100 Mbps.

Be sure to use a CAT-5e (or CAT-6) cable, because a CAT-5 Ethernet cable is certified only to 100 Mbps.

Note that the Shaw SpeedTest can show "slow" values, when testing computers that have "slow" processors (anything less than 2 Ghz on a dual-core processor).

Try a different Ethernet cable, or read the fine print on the length of the cable, looking for "CAT 5e" or "CAT 6".

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> Something somewhere is holding my speed at 330 Mbps. I...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Something somewhere is holding my speed at 330 Mbps.

I doubt that it is your hardware.

Contact Shaw. They can remotely logon to your cable-modem, to verify that it is provisioned for 600 Mbps. Shaw may need to "re-provision" your device, to set it to "Internet 600".

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Did you check with Shaw to make sure your account was upg...

rickatk
Master

Did you check with Shaw to make sure your account was upgraded to 600? This often gets overlooked  during activations.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I've contacted chat support and they said the modem is fi...

Graphyte
Grasshopper

I've contacted chat support and they said the modem is fine so it must be my equipment.

Speeds have been tested on fast.com in incognito mode as per the support instructions. 

I've power cycled, switched out CAT-5e cables, made sure the LAN card has the latest drivers and is capable of 1 Gbps, took a look at the Bios to see if anything is throttled back, tried a diagnostic tool to check registries for throttling.

I still get consistent 340 Mbps on the desktop, laptop and even on WiFi using my Samsung S9+. It's pinged as high as 370 but then normalizes at 340 (the result is 330 Mbps using Shaw speed net. This is the speed I had using the Internet 300 with the Hitron (sorry I said Arris earlier) modem. Other than ordering a CAT-6 cable I'm stumped 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Shaw internet is so **bleep**ty. I'm just waiting for Telus Fi...

ebbs
Grasshopper

Shaw internet is so **bleep**ty. I'm just waiting for Telus Fibre Optiks in my neighborhood and you bet your Beep that I'm switching over. Shaw is so trash.

Jump to solution

> I still get consistent 340 Mbps on the desktop, laptop...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I still get consistent 340 Mbps on the desktop, laptop and even on WiFi using my Samsung S9+.

Chat/telephone Shaw, to get them to "re-provision" the cable-modem to "Internet 600".

Also, excessively-long Ethernet cables can reduce the speed. Use Shaw SpeedTest to confirm.

How fast are the processors on your devices? The Shaw SpeedTest requires at least a dual-core 2 Ghz processor, to achieve the maximum results on "Internet 300".  I don't have "Internet 600", to test its speed, with various processors.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> I'm just waiting for Telus Fibre Optiks [sic] in my nei...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I'm just waiting for Telus Fibre Optiks [sic] in my neighborhood.

How long do you think that you will be waiting?

Given the current COVID-19 pandemic, the TELUS technicians are over-worked, and probably are being assigned to "no Internet" customers, rather than adding new fibre-optic runs up/down the streets in your neighbourhood, and then adding "last-mile" runs to a demarcation box outside of your home. Right now, TELUS is not allowing technicians to enter your home, to wire-up the "last-mile".

Specifically, what problems are you having? TV? Phone? Internet? Customer service? Understanding your monthly Shaw bill? Problems using My Shaw ?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I consistently had speeds of ~650mbps, and for the last 3...

Rxx
Grasshopper

I consistently had speeds of ~650mbps, and for the last 3 months I have not been able to break 100 mbps, ever. I contributed part of this to the increased congestion on the network due to COVID19 and people staying at home, but it doesnt matter what time of day or night, wont break 100. I've restarted gateway, am running directly off the main feed, and am hard lined right to the modem and no dice. Seems kind of silly to be paying for a service that I am only receiving 1/6th of advertised speeds, for months on end.

Jump to solution

>  I have not been able to break 100 mbps. Even with the...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>  I have not been able to break 100 mbps.

Even with the Shaw SpeedTest?  It connects to a Shaw server in your city (or a major city nearby).

Power-off the cable-modem, by disconnecting its AC power. Reconnect it, and let it restart. Then, restart your computer, and rerun the speed-test. Result?

Are you using a CAT-5e or CAT-6 cable between the cable-modem and your computer? Discard any CAT-5 cable, because it is certified only to 100 Mbps.Is the network adapter inside your computer capable of "10/100/1000" Gigabit operation, or just "10/100" Megabit operation?

Have you configured the "properties" of your network adapter, away from "auto" speed-negotiation to force it to 100 Mbps?

Have you asked Shaw to "re-provision" your cable-modem, to be sure that it is configured for "Internet 600" ?

Got another computer, or a friend with a laptop, that is Gigabit-capable, who will attach their computer to your Ethernet cable, to test your speed?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I called customer service and got a delightful Indian fel...

Graphyte
Grasshopper

I called customer service and got a delightful Indian fellow who was more than happy to push another Internet 600 profile to the modem for me. It did the trick and he even split my 2 and 5 GHz WiFi channels rather than having the merged name.

Now all that left is to contact billing and get them to reverse the $450 "transaction" fee and taxes for the return of the old equipment that the Richmond warehouse received on April 22 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help