> The CPU goes to 40% when running Speedtest. What CPU do...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> The CPU goes to 40% when running Speedtest.

What CPU do you have? Intel? AMD? Number of "cores" ? Number of "threads" ? Speed of each core?

My desktop is an Intel I5-3470, with 4 cores, 4 threads, each running at 3.2 Ghz.

While running SpeedTest, one CPU runs at 60% to 80%, while the other 3 cores each are under 10%.

My results are close to the advertised 300 Mbits/second, using a CAT-5e network cable, and a HITRON modem.

Trying another equally-fast computer is worth an experiment.

0 Kudos

hmm, if other devices are receiving correct speeds. It ma...

shaw-tony

@Nmhansen hmm, if other devices are receiving correct speeds. It may be a limitation on your laptop/network card/firewall/anti-virus programs. Do you receive faster speeds on your laptop outside your home at a friend's house with 200 Mbps+ speeds?

0 Kudos

I have no idea. Laptop never left the house lol. All I kn...

Nmhansen
Grasshopper

I have no idea. Laptop never left the house lol. All I know every other component (Cellphones, PS4, and Xbox One) gets better download rates. 

0 Kudos

> Laptop never left the house. Maybe, it's time to take i...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Laptop never left the house.

Maybe, it's time to take it to a friend's home, who has "fast" Internet (fiber-based Telus Optik or Shaw 300/600), and rerun the Shaw SpeedTest, while it is connected to their router with a "CAT-5E" Ethernet cable. Take a 6-pack of beer with you. 🙂

> Do you have another PC to run a direct ethernet speed test on? 

If you don't, invite a friend who is getting "good" speeds in their home to bring their laptop to your home, and to run the SpeedTest while using a CAT5-E Ethernet cable into your Shaw device.

TALK TO US
We're here to help