Re: internet speed of 300 not working

Not applicable

jake77 wrote:

Wanted to switch back to 150 and old modem.

As of Monday, they eliminated the 150 plan..  It doesn't exist anymore..  150 became 300 and 300 became 600.

I believe tkkdnd‌ is looking for the 'free' 150 to 300 upgrade.

0 Kudos

tkkdnd
Grasshopper

Thanks Kevinds.. Turns out my network card is only good to 100 and my wifi stick to 150.. Need an upgrade on either to get the offer. As it appears the offer is only going to be for the month not going to bother at this time.. Thanks for your help.. really appreciate it..

0 Kudos

Not applicable

I went into modem control panel as my download speed hardwired was hoitting 300+ but wireless was between 150 to 170 180 i just went to channel bandwidth an went from 40MHz to 80MHz an it solved ipad an iphone hit 320mbps i have hitron modem as well

jon_chalk
Grasshopper

Is the minimum requirement for ethernet cable cat5e? Can I use cat6 or faster?

0 Kudos

jon_chalk
Grasshopper

Peter2480: your suggestion to change my channel bandwidth from 40MHz to 80MHz on the 5G wireless network allowed my iPad to hit a whopping 294 Mbps. Downloads on my iPad zipped down in the blink of an eye (though, an exaggeration, you get the idea).

Wow! It is amazing that a little switch can do this. However, after I changed the bandwidth from 20MHz to 40MHz on the 2.4G, the speed still remained like molasses. 

Thank you

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Yes, the minimum is Cat5e.  You can use higher but there isn't a real benefit.  Cat6 is no better.  If you are going to get better than Cat5e get Cat6A.  It is good for 10 gbps.

0 Kudos

dvongrad
Grasshopper

I did the free upgrade to 300 on December 4 and nothing was ever consistent for me. When I upgraded to 150 with the Hitron about 1.5 years ago, a speed test consistently gave me about 170 when coupled with the Asus RT-AC68U router and I was happy. But power cycling the modem did not get me anything near 300 on my desktop PC.

My desktop was custom built about 5 years ago. Its Asus PZ77-V motherboard has an Intel 82579-V Gigabit Network Connection built onto it. I’ve also tested a Surface Pro 4 with a Marvell AVSTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller. Both run the latest updates of Windows 10 Pro using only Windows Defender for antivirus. There is no difference in the firewall. The startup apps of each are different but I don't think any would cause the speed issue unless there are some obvious gotchas that someone can suggest. The primary hard drives for both are 500 GB SSD and each system has 16 GB RAM.

The desktop is connected directly to the modem with a 5e cable. With the Hitron, I expected close to 300 but I barely got 130. With the XB6, I can get 160 to 180. The Surface gets 300+ with the XB6 (either wired or Wi-Fi) but I’ve had to remove the Asus router to get those speeds—with it in the mix, I could get only 180 max. I can also get 300+ from an older Acer laptop wired into the XB6 (I have a screenshot where fast.com reported 1.1 Gbps one time!)—I wasn’t expecting much in Wi-Fi because it has only a 100 Mbps adapter.

For the desktop, I’ve tried a cat 6 cable, a dedicated network adapter, different 5e cables, different ports on either modem and modem resets—all without success. Speed tests from speedtest.net and fast.com gave expected results on the Surface and Acer—wired or not. Strangely, all the machines now say it can’t connect to a server and to try again later from speedtest.shaw.ca.

No one from Shaw (multiple online chats or on the phone and one service call), Asus, or Intel could come up with a solution. I suspect this is software related in that the network settings on the desktop are different than that of the Surface or Acer. I have gone through the adapter properties and Network and Sharing but I don't know what could be changed to resolve this issue without potentially making it worse. On several occasions, suggested troubleshooters couldn't identify the problem which is of no help to me. My last resort is to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 Pro x64 to see if that helps. I'll be faced with a 2-day task of a clean install (testing the speed as soon as I can after only the OS is installed) followed with dozens of apps and updates, but I will do this as an absolute last resort if I can be guaranteed the 300 Mbps from my existing PC hardware. I got 170 on the 150 plan with the Hitron, so I fail to see why I can’t get 300+ on the XB6 when none of the hardware has changed in years and yet the XB6 wired to other devices works perfectly fine.

0 Kudos

pierreg
Grasshopper

Hi dvongrad,

Have you made any progress?

I have had a similar issue with my upgrade.  My system is very similar to yours and I get the following with shaw speed test: 

COULD NOT CONNECT

Could not connect to the Internet. Please check your connection and try again.

If I try Speedtest by Ookla I get a Latency test error.  Although if I try  xfinity speed test  I get 280-320 Mbps download 4 upload  and fast.com I get 300 to 900 Mbps download and 15 upload. Who knows what I am getting. The task manager seems to confirm the xfinity speed test however. Ps I am using chrome to run these test.

pierreg

http://www.speedtest.net/

0 Kudos

dvongrad
Grasshopper

Hi pierreg,

I was able to get 300+ Mbps on my desktop on sppedtest.shaw.ca, speedtest.net, and fast.com in Chrome through my Asus router, but only after rebuilding my system from the ground up. Short of that, I would suggest ensuring your router 5G channel bandwidth is set to 80 Mhz, the network adapter Speed & Duplex is Auto-negotiation and any browser extensions that change browser pages like ad blockers be turned off temporarily. I hope this helps.

dvongrad

0 Kudos

pierreg
Grasshopper

Thanks dvongrad,

Unfortunately no go,  still have latency error and can get an indication of good speed when I run fast.com and xfinity.  May have to consider a rebuild  ... when have more time.

pierreg

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help