Jump to solution

-- comment on the useable internet performance if I leave...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@brettich -- comment on the useable internet performance if I leave my BlueCurve router in "gateway" mode (double NAT) vs full transparent bridge mode ?

I definitely noticed a drop in speed, via the Shaw Speed Test, when comparing:

• Internet 300 (grandfathered plan) --> Hitron cable-modem --> Ethernet --> desktop PC
  • Internet 300 (grandfathered plan) --> Hitron cable-modem --> Ethernet --> older Linksys non-WiFi router --> Ethernet --> desktop PC

The former returned the "300/15" speed for my plan. The latter definitely was much slower to receive. Hard to say whether it was the (gigabit-capable) Linksys or the "double-NAT".

Obviously, not the same hardware as you are referencing.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks - FYI I bit the bullet and upgraded to Fiber+ Gig...

brettich
Grasshopper

Thanks - FYI I bit the bullet and upgraded to Fiber+ Gig today.
I did not get one of the more advanced XB7 Gateway 2.0 modems, I did get the standard black X6 but since I have my own dedicated WIFI and router it is no big deal. 
Router was delivered via Purolator 24 hours after my online chat requesting the upgrade! 
Self install,  putting the modem into bridge mode rebooted and I was up in running in less than 20 min.
Initial (wired) speeds tests are awesome, getting over 800 Mbps down and the full 100mbps up -mid afternoon on a Saturday -not bad! 
Overall very happy with the service and performance.

BR

Jump to solution

Hey just an update as to the double nat issue i haven't s...

Tambora
Grasshopper

Hey just an update as to the double nat issue i haven't seen a decrease in speed but for the tv it turns out the router i use is responsible for being able to support wifi tv however any router that supports the iptv should work with bluecurv.  But to be honest im considering swapping out the xb6 anyways as it doesn't allow for custom dns servers and the default channel selection is garbage among other limitations which contravene the purpose to which the internet upgrade was purchased.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- i'm considering swapping out the xb6 anyways as it doe...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Tambora -- i'm considering swapping out the xb6 anyways as it doesn't allow for custom dns servers

Instead, set the XB6 to "bridged" mode. This will disable its WiFi, and access to remote TV portals, if you are using any.

Then, connect your choice of third-party WiFi-capable Gigabit routers to the XB6. Configure your router to your needs -- DNS-servers & channels & SSID(s) & lions & tigers & bears. 🙂

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

This is what I have done. It DOES require a more "hands o...

brettich
Grasshopper

This is what I have done. It DOES require a more "hands on" approach and you might not get the Shaw tech support for non-Shaw equipment.

IF you have Gig service or better just invest in a decent router that will support 1G throughput on the firewall / NAT rules. Otherwise you won't get the speeds you are paying for! 

I personally use a dedicated (No WiFi) Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 4 @Amazon for $240 -will cover your firewall / router need very nicely!
Then add any good mesh WiFi AP's (Ubiquiti, Netgear Orbi, TPLink etc) 

Remember the Shaw solution is intended to be a set-it & forget-it for Everyone system - especially the non-technical. 

My 2c

BR

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- If you have Gig service or better just invest in a dec...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@brettich -- If you have Gig service or better just invest in a decent router that will support 1G throughput 

Just a comment on the "or better" and the "decent router" words.

While the Shaw cable-modem can receive at 1.5 Gbps, I believe that its "LAN" ports are only 1.0 Gbps.  So, do not expect to get 1.5 Gbps to one computer, bridged or non-bridged. Also, if that one computer has a 10/100/1000 network-adapter, it cannnot receive at 1.5 Gbps.

In the aggregate, two computers connected directly to the cable-modem might receive at a total of 1.5 Gbps. That's the only place where upgrading from 1.0 Gbps to 1.5 Gbps would be worth your money.

Also, the WAN port on that "decent router" might be limited to 1.0 Gbps, thus becoming a "bottleneck". So, subscribing to "Shaw Fibre+ Gig 1.5", and using a "bridged" cable-modem, will be a waste of your money -- "downgrade" to 1.0 Gbps if you are going to "bridge" the cable-modem.

In summary, all the parts must fit together, to deliver more than 1.0 Gbps to any device.

P.S. It is unusual to write "downgrade to 1.0 Gbps" -- that is a speed that just was not available to consumers, a few years ago, at costs much more affordable than "fractional T1" ever was.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

As I figured, the shaw moden would not port forward my AX...

joebagofdonuts
Grasshopper

As I figured, the shaw moden would not port forward my AXIS cams. I read that you could not use your third party router with the wifi tv boxes. INCORRECT. I had no issues reconnecting my linksys router, turning on bridge mode in the shaw modem and then reconnected the shaw wifi tv boxes to the linksys router. It was very easy. Now i have my security cams back.

The other thing I did was remove the two cable connections from the splitter in the basement and directly connected the wifi/moden coax to the incoming RG11. 

Jump to solution

Good to hear that you got it all working. Yes, the TV box...

rstra
Grand Master

@joebagofdonuts Good to hear that you got it all working. Yes, the TV boxes work fine with third party routers, it is just not “supported” by Shaw, but really….

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Just wanted to post my recent success with bridging my XB...

ColtonW24
Grasshopper

Just wanted to post my recent success with bridging my XB7 modem and still being able to use my Ignite (formerly BlueCurve) TV Players. I'm now using an ASUS RT-AX82U as my Router & Wi-Fi AP, and I've had no issues with my Ignite TV Players. I didn't even have to manually connect them to the new AP, because I just used the same SSID and Password that I was using for the XB7.

It sucks that Shaw insinuates that the TV Players won't work at all if the modem is bridged. Although I understand they don't want to say that it does work, and then they have customers calling in and complaining about issues with their TV Players that are caused by their particular 3rd party router setup.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- It sucks that Shaw insinuates that the TV Players won'...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ColtonW24 -- It sucks that Shaw insinuates that the TV Players won't work at all if the modem is bridged. 

When the cable-modem is bridged, it disables the built-in WiFi, which the TV players use.

However, if you have your own WiFi-enabled router, connected via Ethernet cable to the cable-modem, you must take the extra step of connecting the TV players to your own router's WiFi network. If a customer skips this step, their TV player will not connect.

TALK TO US
We're here to help