p.s.   i totally get that shaw may not be able to help wi...

me160
Grasshopper

p.s.

@mdk 

i totally get that shaw may not be able to help with the problems, and im not expecting them to fix the problem but they could at least provide information to people as to how their service works so paying customers continue to be paying customers and are at the least able to make their stuff work. a custom setup of course wont be officially supported, that means even using our own routers isn't supported, yet they still provide the function to bridge their routers so we can use our own. so why not also provide a bit of documentation or settings for experienced people to help make it easier? because if shaw wasn't the only option for super high speed internet in some areas (mine included) i wouldn't be a customer because they only provide the "basics" for "the average person" meaning their products are stupid proofed, but also lockout experienced people from doing what they want. im not expecting saw to fix my problems, that why im here on the forums asking for help from other people, and maybe a shaw mod who happens to know or can get this info might also be able to help.

because at this point my parents might just drop their cable (of witch they've been a customer for over 20 years) to just go to online streaming of all their news and tv, but then my moms nextcloud would work properly and i can troubleshoot any problems better before i hit shaw router problems that i cannot fix because Shaw removed the functions from the router

0 Kudos

-- my parents might just drop their cable (of which they'...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@me160 -- my parents might just drop their cable (of which they've been a customer for over 20 years) to just go to online streaming of all their news and TV.

Shaw delivers both TV channels & Internet over the one "cable" strung between their home & the nearest telephone-pole.

So, yes, they may cancel the TV channels, while keeping their Internet connection. Is that what they want?

Note that all streaming web-sites (examples: Global & CTV & CityTV) will require an active Internet connection.

If you "bridge" the Shaw router, then your own router gets a "public" IP-address from Shaw, and there is nothing to be "configured" within the Shaw router. All the configuration is done within your router.

When bridged, all the Shaw router does is convert between the TCP/IP protocol of your wired/wireless devices and the protocol that the Shaw infrastructure uses.

Anyway, to get to the point, exactly what are you wanting to do, and what obstacles have you hit? There are volunteer contributors on this peer-to-peer discussion forum who have a lot of networking skills.  Give them a chance to help you. A required ST:Voyager quote from the holo-doctor: "please state the nature of your problem".

I have a feeling that the "moderators" of this forum are good at "moderating" and "administrating", but they are not the "Level 2" network engineers that can give you the technical details that you are seeking.  They may have access to those "Level 2" employees. I recognize that some of the "Level 1" Shaw Agents need more training, especially when they reach the limit of their training, and are reluctant to "escalate" your issue to the "senior staff".

0 Kudos

-- apparently Shaw can issue up to 2 public ip's to home...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@me160 -- apparently Shaw can issue up to 2 public ip's to home users

Included with your Shaw Internet service, by default, you get one "public" IP-address.

At no extra monthly cost, you can get a second "public" IP-address. Just ask Shaw.

If you want to pay an additional monthly fee to Shaw, you can have up to 4 "public" IP-addresses, in total.

0 Kudos

yes shaw delivers both tv and internet over the one coaxi...

me160
Grasshopper

yes shaw delivers both tv and internet over the one coaxial cable, from my understanding shaw effectively has 3 different "networks" so to speak running on that coaxial, there's internet, cable tv and than the iptv (if its even used) for bluecureve. given that my understanding of iptv is that it works like a vlan, that means there's technically only 2 "networks". i am not trying to access the older cable box method. only the newer bluecurve, my intentions are to figure out how shaw delivers the bluecurve service for the xi6 cable boxes as they only connect to wired/wireless internet, not the coaxial, it has to be getting the content from the internet or at least the xb6 is translating the older cable into a wifi signal for it....that is what im trying to figure out. is the xi6 actually an iptv client connecting to an iptv server at a shaw building via a vlan on the main internet (and if so, how do i configure my own router to allow and forward these connections properly), or is the xb6 doing some black magic to convert the old school cable box signals into the wifi network (and whether that network is actually hidden or if they do just connect to the main visible wifi) for the xi6.

my parents would like to keep their cable tv (although now it is the bluecurve cable, so its the xi6 wireless boxes), and the internet, but because i keep running into problems with the shaw router (ones that have been documented by thousands of people here (mainly real port forwarding not port opening)

i will put my points in bullet form to simplify it,

1. how is the bluecurveTV service transmitted (iptv or other?)

2. what are/are there specific settings needed to connect to said iptv system

3. do the bluecurve xi6 boxes use the user reported hidden ssids or the visible ones?

i suppose the ultimate goal is to get my parents happy, meaning my moms nextcloud is accessible from on the lan (she uses it for editing pictures and uses nextcloud to then send a link to whoever she took the photos of so they can download them) and the wan, but not loose their TV service. to achieve that i either need to figure out how to connect the xi6 cable boxes to my asus router and configure the asus router to allow them to work properly, tell my parents they will have to cancel their tv service and just stream everything, or figure out how to get the xb6 router to stop blocking nat hair pining. i am trying to get my first option to work as that will make everyone happy, and the third seems next to impossible because like you said lvl1 techs don't know or can access enough setting on the routers, and they don't want to escalate to lvl2 or higher, and the second....well my parents really like just tuning into global or a random channel and leaving it on in the background while they cook or do house work. so it basically means i gota get my first way working somehow.

0 Kudos

from what i gather here, if i put the router in bridge mo...

me160
Grasshopper

from what i gather here, if i put the router in bridge mode, connect my asus router (with nothing else attached to either), re-assign my ip address (by rebooting the xb6) to the asus router, theoretically all i should have to do is reconnect the xi6 cable boxes to the new wifi from the asus router (and all other devices) and maby enable the iptv setting in the asus router but not configure it. theoretically everything should "just work" right?

0 Kudos

hey if for anyone that might come across this thread or i...

me160
Grasshopper

hey if for anyone that might come across this thread or is still following it, i have an update so my parents left for the weekend last weekend so i took the opportunity to try this out and it actually went surprisingly smooth, put the xb6 into bridge mode with nothing hardwired, connected the asus router witch happened to be on as i was configuring it and it just grabbed the assigned ip right away, then 1 of the 3 xi6 tv boxes immediately told me it couldn't connect and to select a new wifi network or hardwire it, i connected it to the wifi and it just worked. the other 2 somehow still worked even though they shouldn't have....at least till i rebooted them then they prompted me to switch wifi, not shure why there isn't an option to change wifi in the settings you can only change it if it cant find the existing wifi network, but i digress im quite happy that it simply worked as expected....just would have been nice if this was actually known before hand because it took me all of an hour and half to get everything running again, and it all works as expected. i figured id put this here to inform future and other people wanting this that it does work

tl;dr, if you want to use your own router to bypass shaws stupid app control or set your own dns servers, actually port forward properly etc. but still use the tv boxes for normal tv stuff, good news you can and it does simply just work, your mileage may vary, but putting the shaw router into bridge mode (i did it just from the web gui), setting up your new router and connecting it, then just reconnect the tv boxes whether to wifi or wired (it will prompt, may require restart for prompt) and wait for it to reconnect. otherwise it does indeed work as one would expect

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help