The XB7 has, in addition to wifi6, four ethernet ports. N...

rickatk
Master

@mdk 

The XB7 has, in addition to wifi6, four ethernet ports. Not too sure what plans this new Gateway will be offered on.

Hi freeborn, in switching did you end up losing your disc...

Sith
Grasshopper

Hi freeborn, in switching did you end up losing your discounts?

That's the part that is hard to swallow. They should just really allow the customers to switch if they want for say a $5 a month increase, for the new download and upload speed. That would be tolerable as opposed to a lot more a month like $61 in my case, to just get the faster upload and a slightly faster download, at 750.

0 Kudos

-- $61 in my case, to just get the faster upload and a sl...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Sith -- $61 in my case, to just get the faster upload and a slightly faster download, at 750.

It is a mystery to me why "Internet 600" users, such as you, have the BlueCurve modem, that is capable of 100 Mbit/second uploads, and yet have not been allowed to get the faster upload speed, at no additional charge, without terminating your current two-year Value Plan, and starting a new Value Plan.

What would have been the change in monthly cost, if you had downgraded to "Fibre+ 300" ? Not many servers on the Internet can "push" out data at any speed above 300 Mbits/second -- having 600 Mbps is "overkill", unless you have a house-full of online gamers.

Disclaimer: I have never worked for Shaw, and I have never been employed by Shaw.

0 Kudos

Hi there, the big thing is that I would lose all my negot...

Sith
Grasshopper

Hi there, the big thing is that I would lose all my negotiated discounts that I got back in April. So if going to 750 is $61 a month, "downgrading" to the 300 package would increase my costs to $51 a month, based on their current pricing for the 750 and 300.

It really baffles me how they just don't upgrade the 600 accounts who have the XB6, to the 100 upload. I would be happy with that, they don't have to bump me up to 750.

0 Kudos

If it was just we surfing...300 is more than plenty.   I...

freeborn
Grasshopper

If it was just we surfing...300 is more than plenty.   I vpn to work so that makes a huge difference...plus 3 kiss the game and one that streams....measured the usage today....and while the one gig is not pinned...it is being used...the 100 mb is pinned and sustainable

0 Kudos

I lost me discounts...but they are the cancellation fee....

freeborn
Grasshopper

I lost me discounts...but they are eating the cancellation fee.  We don't watch cable So the higher internet speed was a wash on the price.

Just need to go to the store now and swap xb6 to xb7

0 Kudos

I agree whole heartedly. The Shaw XB6 and BlueCurve app a...

rickatk
Master

@freeborn wrote:

i run my xb6 in bridge mode.  If you want to do anything other basic settings, I highly suggest you look at putting it in bridge mode and buying a 3rd party router.  I currently run a couple vlans with different vpns depending on the vlan.  I also capture all my logging to a third-party logging tool.  You cannot do this with this xb6.  If you just want to plug it in and use it, i a sure it operates fine

I agree whole heartedly. The Shaw XB6 and BlueCurve app are designed for the home user to self install and make the most basic of settings. Anyone with more advanced requirements like professionals working from home may want to bridge and consider other Wi-Fi products. I am quite pleased with the level of functionality and ease of installation and operation the BlueCurve XB6 gateway and app offfers.

0 Kudos

I had the 600 plan and was getting 55mb upload speeds, I...

scottty64
Grasshopper

I had the 600 plan and was getting 55mb upload speeds, I just upgraded to fiber gig and my upload speed was more than cut in half it was 26 like wth. Why did I upgrade to fiber gig just to have my upload speed decrease to more than half it makes no sense, spoke to tech support they couldnt give me any sort of answer, my new modem that I got today is going back as I also just cancelled the fiber gig because it makes no sense. Gonna switch to telus once fiber is in my area their speeds are advertised at 940mb...a no brainer. Sorry shaw, been a customer for over 30 years and your top of the line speeds are literally a joke.

Just to confirm, I had the same issue (only 16Mbps on a F...

aj37
Grasshopper

Just to confirm, I had the same issue (only 16Mbps on a Fibre +300). First they sent me a new modem (XB7) but still had the same issue.  After seeing the above post I called tech support and had them reprovision the modem and that did the trick.

Also once the upload speed was fixed I had them put the modem into bridged mode (I have a gigabit router behind with multiple subnets) and I'm now getting 106Mbps even in bridged mode.

0 Kudos

-- reprovision the modem and that did the trick. That mak...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@aj37 -- reprovision the modem and that did the trick.

That makes sense -- it seems that Shaw does not provision the modem until after you have connected it. So, the onus seems to be on you to tell them that you have connected it, making it ready to be provisioned.

My guess is that a "bridged" modem will be very-slightly faster (measured on your computer) than the same "non-bridged" modem, since bridging removes the need for the modem to process NAT (Network Address Translation). 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help