Jump to solution

I have the exact same issue. Bought a new HP15 laptop in...

DarylD
Grasshopper

I have the exact same issue. Bought a new HP15 laptop in mid January, and every time i open the laptop and connect to my Blue Curve wifi, it crashes the wifi in my whole house. Without fail. Then the wifi will come back online, i surf the web for a few minutes and it crashes again. It did this to me 5 times last night within 45 minutes. I dont know if its Windows 10, the laptop or the modem. Has a definitive solution been found for this yet as it is very frustrating that i cant use my new laptop. 

Jump to solution

> Best I can manage with my dongle plugged into a USB3 po...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Best I can manage with my dongle plugged into a USB3 port is about 175 Mbps.  

It's difficult to say whether the USB3 port is a "bottle-neck", or the wireless protocol (G? N? AC?) is limiting your speed. If your laptop has an Ethernet port (100 or 1000 Mbit/second), rerun the test.

Also, the Shaw SpeedTest web-site requires that your computer is at least a dual-core 2.0 Ghz processor.

On my 1.3 Ghz dual-core laptop, even when connected via Ethernet, I never get more than 2/3 of my "full" speed ("Shaw 300").

But, on my desktop (quad-core 3.2 Ghz), I get my "full" speed.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> Bought a new HP15 laptop in mid January ... Is it an "H...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Bought a new HP15 laptop in mid January ...

Is it an "HP Pavilion 15" or an "HP Envy 15" ?

Are you entitled to any "free" technical support (30 days? 90 days?) by telephoning HP?

Or, see the HP Support web-site, for "self-service".  It might be possible that your computer had a "purchase-time" option of different WiFi adapters.

Other posts in this thread have suggested that one physically change the WiFi adapter, or to "disable" the built-in adapter, and connect, via USB, some other WiFi adapter.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I can get full 300 on that laptop if I use an ethernet ca...

tm91
Grasshopper

I can get full 300 on that laptop if I use an ethernet cable plugged directly into the modem, instead of wi-fi.   This suggests to me the processor speed is not limiting the results on the shaw speedtest.   It also suggests to me that the problem has nothing to do with WIndows 10, the TCP/IP Network stack, or any other software running on the laptop itself.

I believe the USB wi-fi dongle is an AC protocol.  Frankly the 175 is actually plenty fast enough for anything I do on that laptop.  More than enough to stream 4k video.   People don't seem to realize that the vast majority of the content you get off the internet is throttled at the other end anyhow, to prevent someone with a big fat fiber pipe from consuming all their servers bandwidth. 

300 is good because you can have 6 streams of data consuming 50 each, not because any single instance of netflix or something is going to try and single-handedly send you 300 by itself.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Just as a precautionary tale to others: I tried calling H...

tm91
Grasshopper

Just as a precautionary tale to others: I tried calling HP support directly at the beginning of this journey.  I was on the phone with a couple different techs (it got escalated multiple times), and ended up wasting 3 hours of my life that I'll never get back.   😞

They did suggest I take it to an HP service center, where they would then have the laptop for some unspecified length of time while they troubleshoot it.   I wasn't interested in being without it for that long, especially since I'm not sure what they would do about it.   They would have trouble reproducing the error, since the internal wifi NIC connects just fine to other wi-fi hotspots, it's only the newest BlueCurve modems that it wont play nicely with. 

I dont think the internal wi-fi NIC is "failing" from HP's perspective, it is behaving exactly as designed.   The diagnostic tool the HP tech ran remotely indicated that.    When the HP support wanted me to go without my laptop, I said screw it, I'll just return the laptop to Costco and get another that same day.  The second laptop does the same thing as the first.   I don't think I got a bad modem in that batch, they all behave that way.

My particular laptop was only available with 1 specific internal wifi nic, so HP may not have an entirely different model to install.  Putting a new NIC of the same model would accomplish nothing, like when I returned my first laptop to Costco and got another.  

I know the Bluecurve modem is really a Comcast device, and Shaw is not on par with Comcast USA in terms of the latest firmware updates.   Flashing my modem with the latest Comcast firmware off the net is easy; getting it to still play nicely with the Shaw network after I do that is not.   😞    I guess all we can do is wait for Shaw to implement some update at some point.  

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have the same exact problem and just stumbled on this t...

Ggill
Grasshopper

I have the same exact problem and just stumbled on this thread after a friend recommended it. So im guessing there is no solution?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> So I'm guessing there is no solution? One true "solutio...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> So I'm guessing there is no solution?

One true "solution" would either be updated software inside the BlueCurve, or updated software for the NIC inside the HP.  Don't hold your breath!

Another true solution would be to replace the WiFi adapter, by some other adapter that Windows 10 supports. Hopefully, the current adapter only does WiFi, not WiFi-and-Bluetooth. It may be difficult to replace a WiFi-and-Bluetooth adapter by some other WiFi-and-Bluetooth adapter.

As mentioned in this thread, one "bypass" is to disable the WiFi adapter, and connect an external WiFi adapter via a USB port.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I also have this problem. Does Shaw know this is an issue...

Lojo
Grasshopper

I also have this problem. Does Shaw know this is an issue? 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> Does Shaw know this is an issue?  A few employees of Sh...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Does Shaw know this is an issue? 

A few employees of Shaw volunteer their time on this forum. Presumably, if they have read this thread, they know.

Have they "escalated" this issue to the "official" Shaw Support team? Maybe.

Will they update the software inside the BlueCurve, to remediate the issue?  Maybe. When? I dunno. When will they tell us? Probably only after announcing an overnight outage to update that software.

I encourage you to telephone Shaw, and make an "official" report.

Jump to solution

I turned my laptop on first day since the original post t...

Ggill
Grasshopper

I turned my laptop on first day since the original post today. It has made my laptop next to useless but i hooked up a second modem to the bluecurve a tp link. I connected to it and started it up and it knocked everything off line as it connected to the blue curve right after start up. I went to auto connect to the tp link and so far the tv works and so does the laptop as of now. Its not a ideal solution but it works for now 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help