Jump to solution

> A Shaw tech came to fix slow issues and digitizations/p...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> A Shaw tech came to fix slow issues and digitizations/pixelations on our BlueCurve network.

Interesting. But, please share what they did, to allow other people with the same problem to benefit.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I contacted HP and had to contact their "In Warranty Team...

js51
Grasshopper

I contacted HP and had to contact their "In Warranty Team". After discussing the issue and insisting that it wasn't a software issue (installed app of some sort) that was causing the problem, the agent had me upgrade the BIOS, followed by reboot, and then upgrade both the LAN driver (wired) and the WiFi LAN driver. You have to  connect your laptop to the router via ethernet cable so that you can go to hp.com/support to get the drivers; otherwise you are installing the drivers that were copied to your computer when first setup (not current).

The issue is now completely resolved. We have been using the computer along with others and TV with no issues.

Jump to solution

Was just going through this with chat for almost 1.5 hour...

jack2sprat
Grasshopper

Was just going through this with chat for almost 1.5 hours. It seems that they think that my disconnected HP laptop network card is causing this issue. This I do not understand at all as the laptop is never on. Used for travel only. Update W10 for 15 minutes every Saturday morning. I was told that the modem retains the connection and thus disconnects my system. My desktop is connected Ethernet. It is the Ethernet connection that turns off. The modem light stays white. This they told me was the system not shutting down but my laptop being DOS and thus the desktop will not connect.

Boggles my mind. I just checked the HP support pages and they are introducing network card updates because they realize that the current cards are causing this issue. So ... they have a huge list of updates posted in the last 2 weeks except of course for my HP. 😡

I still do not understand how a non connected device can lock out your connection. 'Splain it to me Lucy. I was told that the modem retains the HP's previous connection and thus the DOS. They say once you reboot the modem it is cleared of the memory. When I asked then how after it was rebooted and had the memory cleared that it locked up twice more in the day ... they had no answer.

Oh well. 🙄

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

DOS: 1. Part of the name of the "PC DOS" operating system...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

DOS:

1. Part of the name of the "PC DOS" operating system, for the first IBM PCs;

2. Part of the name of the "MS DOS" operating system, that Microsoft purchased from a small Seattle-based company.

3. Acronym for "Denial Of Service" -- when some device (your laptop's network-card) floods another device (the Shaw modem) such that traffic from the other device is completely monopolizing the target device (the cable-modem), such that the cable-modem cannot provide any "service" to another device also connected to your modem. Your desktop is being "denied" service.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

This worked. Thank you!!

Swttng
Grasshopper

Setting up the 2.4G for the laptop and the 5G for everything else worked. Thank you!!

Jump to solution

I've been having same problem for months. HP laptop crash...

ahung
Grasshopper

I've been having same problem for months. HP laptop crashes entire Shaw Bluecurve internet and TV whenever it reboots or wakes up, and connects to the 5 G band. And then takes a few minutes for entire internet to come back up and then my laptop is booted to the 2.4 G band with much slower connection (40 mbps on 2.4 G versus 300 mbps on 5G). I've had to make my computer never sleep and thus use maximum power. I just had to restart my laptop due to needed Windows upgrade and my entire internet and TV all went down again.

Jump to solution

I'd like to  bump this thread up. I've been having issues...

lpowers
Grasshopper

I'd like to  bump this thread up. I've been having issues since getting a new HP and whenever I start the computer, our internet/tv disconnects on all devices. I called shaw and the tech said he never heard of such as an issue. I have been thinking it's the computer's fault and we have re-installed driver's, etc., but to no avail. I am interested in hearing this is a shaw issue and hope we can fix this... very frustrating...

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

- bump Did you follow all the steps that wrote, in this...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@lpowers - bump

Did you follow all the steps that @js51 wrote, in this thread, on ‎2020-05-15 at 11:33 AM ?

Of course, completely shutdown, and then power-on, after installing the updated device-drivers.

Jump to solution

Hi there, unfortunately none of this made any difference...

lpowers
Grasshopper

Hi there,

unfortunately none of this made any difference for me. I also don't have an ethernet connection on my laptop, but I did go right to the website to try to update what was mentioned above to no avail. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

We had the same issue - it took me months to figure out a...

Steve63
Grasshopper

We had the same issue - it took me months to figure out as we got Blue Curve and the HP laptop at the same time. It finally dawned on me that the WiFi went out every time we used the laptop. I wasted many hours on the phone with Shaw tech support before they would send out a tech who disputed that this was the cause. I then also stumbled across this thread which confirmed I wasn’t imagining things. 
Long story short: got tired of trying updates and software fixes so disabled internal WiFi card and inserted $20 USB wifi device and all is now good. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help